Teleflex Steering Disassembly (1972 Gulfstream)

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Boat: 1972 Gulfstream, 18 ft. fish/ski boat. Mercruiser MC-1, 165 L6 (GM) motor. I decided to test/replace the dashboard gauges and need to remove the dashboard. I have run into a snag. After removing the steering wheel and removing the scroll type steering indicator, removing the two steering unit bolts that sandwich the unit through the dashboard, the outside sleeve that abuts the dashboard will not budge. I tried light prying and local heating to no avail. Looking underneath, I can see no other fasteners. It looks like the sleeve slides over a spigot on the steering box.

I am assuming this is a Teleflex system since that is the brand on the steering wheel. It is not power steering. Does anyone have a manual or link to an exploded view of this assembly that will help? Alternately, links to sites that may have this information would be appreciated. Any advice on successfully getting this thing apart?

Thanks.
Russ 998cc

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Teleflex Steering Disassembly (1972 Gulfstream)

Boat: 1972 Gulfstream, 18 ft. fish/ski boat. Mercruiser MC-1, 165 L6 (GM) motor. I decided to test/replace the dashboard gauges and need to remove the dashboard. I have run into a snag. After removing the steering wheel and removing the scroll type steering indicator, removing the two steering unit bolts that sandwich the unit through the dashboard, the outside sleeve that abuts the dashboard will not budge. I tried light prying and local heating to no avail. Looking underneath, I can see no other fasteners. It looks like the sleeve slides over a spigot on the steering box.

I am assuming this is a Teleflex system since that is the brand on the steering wheel. It is not power steering. Does anyone have a manual or link to an exploded view of this assembly that will help? Alternately, links to sites that may have this information would be appreciated. Any advice on successfully getting this thing apart?

Thanks.
Russ 998cc

Ayuh,.... Is this a cable helm,..??

Got any pictures,..??

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK. My first attempt at uploading photos:Steering-1-resize.jpgSteering-2-resize.jpg

Came out smaller than anticipated

Bondo. I assume you mean cable as opposed to a pulley system? No pulleys here.
Thanks.

998cc

Last edited:

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Solved!! Per attached photo: The sleeve was not a slip-fit as I presumed. The bolts in the photo hold the entire assembly, including the pinion. After removing the assembly it became clear the dash was also held in place by the wiring. Looks like it'll be a one-at-a-time replacement of gauges.

On the plus side, the steering gear is now well lubed.

Steering-3.jpg