Need to replace the transom on aluminum outboard motor boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT2

Recruit
Hi all,

It is an old (1971) Mirrocraft deep hull aluminum outboard motor boat, and the transom is quite rotted and needs to be replaced.

I guess they normally make these out of marine plywood, but I can't easily find that, so I'm wondering what other woods I could use? The transom is 57" long by 1.5" thick, so would it possible to just get a Preasure Treated 2x10x8' and cut out the pattern per the old transom? Or perhaps, PT plywood?

Thanks for the help!

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: Need to replace the transom on aluminum outboard motor boat

Don't use PT in either lumber or plywood. You don't need marine ply above the waterline. Get some 3/4" A-B Exterior plywood. Laminate a double thickness w/epoxy and cut out your transom shape. Seal w/epoxy, paint for UV protection and install.

JT2

Recruit

Don't use PT in either lumber or plywood. You don't need marine ply above the waterline. Get some 3/4" A-B Exterior plywood. Laminate a double thickness w/epoxy and cut out your transom shape. Seal w/epoxy, paint for UV protection and install.

What kind of epoxy, and do you use the epoxy to glue the two pieces together? Any special kind of paint required?

Thanks for the info!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You can use TiteBond III wood glue to glue the two pieces together. It's 100% waterproof when it cures and easy to work with. You can Seal the wood with exterior Spar Varnish and give it 2-3 coats of Rustoleum Oil Based Paint (you can get all of this stuff at Lowe's) and if you always predrill any holes and coat the holes and hardware with a good marine sealant like 3M 4200, your new transom will last for decades.

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Only a few rules for aluminum boats. No PT plywood, just use quality exterior grade and seal with 2-part spreadable epoxy if you can find it, or a few coats of spar urethane. You'll then want to mount it to the hull using stainless steel hardware dipped in 3M 5200 or 4200. You can get everything, except the epoxy, from Lowes/HD. Most folks find that 2 layers of 3/4" laminated together is plenty for a typical transom.

JT2

Recruit

Better to use Stainless steel rather than galvanized fasteners?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Better to use Stainless steel rather than galvanized fasteners?

Yes on the SS.

Concur with all of the above suggestions - I use West System epoxy because I have it, it's easy for me to get more and am used to working with it. Tite Bond III glue should work just fine as will using spar varnish for sealing. I've used the oil based Rustoleum for a number of applications on my boat and have yet to be disappointed. Once it sets up it's hard and durable. I've seen a number of posts on here about using Rustoleum with a drying agent to accelerate the hardening process.

Tigosaurus

Cadet
Getting ready to start on an aluminum boat transom replacement project, how did your project work out?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Tig
JT2 hasnt been on iboats since Sept 2013, not likely to get your question.
Please check the dates of recent posts before posting to a topic. If its been 90+days since there were any posts, please dont post to inactive topics.

Thanks

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.