Mercruiser Inliner Swap Progress...165 Rebuilt I6 replacing the old 470

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just use two layers of 2 oz CSM, and 3 layers of tabbing. I know a few people use 1708, but if you add a layer of that your probably going to need another layer of CSM to cover up the texture. What is your finished surface going to be?

I want to gelcoat the deck smooth, then I'll either paint non-skid in places in a contrasting cream color, or try this stuff...apparently my boat deserves it!

madigan_18.jpg

SeaDek-homerotate-1.jpg

..question is, if I use seadek, do I then deserve a hot chick too?
lol.gif

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
lol, that stuff is cool, but pricey! I think I would just stick with CSM if you are going with gel, otherwise you may have issues with pattern bleed through. Boating cloth might help....not sure on that.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Arch, I'm going to stay with csm. Ran it by my supplier while picking up more gelcoat today, said csm should be fine, plus I already have the stuff.
Also, I looked up the cost of the seadek, too much $$$ for my blood, I'll stick to paint on non skid.

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
WOW!! that polished up NICE!!! Yes you deserve the blond!!

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Happy fourth everyone!! Yeah I'm real happy with the transom, shined up nice! Just got back from putting around in the bay in my buddy's sailboat. Was cool seeing the multiple firework shows in the distance. Also my 1st time out on the water this yr. Makes me really anxious to get my boat done. Hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe holiday.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Happy fourth everyone!! Yeah I'm real happy with the transom, shined up nice! Just got back from putting around in the bay in my buddy's sailboat. Was cool seeing the multiple firework shows in the distance. Also my 1st time out on the water this yr. Makes me really anxious to get my boat done. Hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe holiday.

Hey, NICE JOB on the boat restore!

I particularly like the Youtube 165 engine run! I love the sound of an inline-6 Mercruiser! You chose, probably one of the BEST engines ever put in a boat!!

3.0L heat exchanger? Is it going to be big enough to do the block and manifold?

Regards,

Rick

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Rick, thanks for checking in! So far the heat exchanger is working fine with the setup I have, but until I actually run it under load I won't really know for sure. So I have a spare 470 HE unit handy just in case. I'm very anxious to try her out on the water! I keep hearing how good these motor's are, dying to experience it 1st hand! Thanks!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hey Rick, thanks for checking in! So far the heat exchanger is working fine with the setup I have, but until I actually run it under load I won't really know for sure. So I have a spare 470 HE unit handy just in case. I'm very anxious to try her out on the water! I keep hearing how good these motor's are, dying to experience it 1st hand! Thanks!

Well, make sure that it will do max RPM at WOT. Don't know what a 165 should be but I seem to remember 4200 for the 150 (230cu-in)

Prop it for the upper end of the max RPM with the boat loaded to what ever you think the max will be (6 people, full fuel etc)

I assume you're going to use a 160 degree t-stat?

Run it in as warm a lake as you can find. (80+ degrees)

In 83 degree water with a 160 stat, I routinely see 180-185 on my temp gage (which is right where you want to be!) .

I'm using a San Juan Engr FULL (block+manifolds) system on my 454/Bravo with 50:50 DEXCOOL .

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, make sure that it will do max RPM at WOT. Don't know what a 165 should be but I seem to remember 4200 for the 150 (230cu-in)

Prop it for the upper end of the max RPM with the boat loaded to what ever you think the max will be (6 people, full fuel etc)

I assume you're going to use a 160 degree t-stat?

Run it in as warm a lake as you can find. (80+ degrees)

In 83 degree water with a 160 stat, I routinely see 180-185 on my temp gage (which is right where you want to be!) .

I'm using a San Juan Engr FULL (block+manifolds) system on my 454/Bravo with 50:50 DEXCOOL .

Alright, yeah I have the max WOT rating somewhere in the books, IIRC it is low to mid 4's. I'm running a 160* stat. Water temps by me will be in the warmest temps soon now going into August, warmest the bay/sound ever gets I think is maybe low 70's*. So you use dexcool... is that better, or more highly recommended than standard green antifreeze?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Alright, yeah I have the max WOT rating somewhere in the books, IIRC it is low to mid 4's. I'm running a 160* stat. Water temps by me will be in the warmest temps soon now going into August, warmest the bay/sound ever gets I think is maybe low 70's*. So you use dexcool... is that better, or more highly recommended than standard green antifreeze?
"Highly Recommended" by whom?

I've used Dexcool since I installed it in 2006. I don't think it matters a huge amount. except that it is a LOW silicate type coolant. Mercury Extended Life coolant is "compatible" with Dexcool according to them (BUT)

I have learned a bit more about coolants since 2005.........

Mercury Marine Extended Life Coolant Antifreeze utilizes an improved formula that will not cause gelling, protects to -34?F, and is immediately ready for use upon opening. It provides 5 year / 1000 hour protection to your engine and warranty protection for all Mercury MerCruiser gasoline engines with closed cooling systems. Extended Life Coolant Antifreeze contains a 10ppm bittering agent and is free of both silicate and phosphate. It is compatible with conventional anti-freeze, including Prestone DEX-COOL, but will suffer extended life benefits as it is further diluted. Sold by the gallon (3.78 liters).

Since marine engines are a LOT like heavy duty diesels(cooling systems-wise) , using an extended life coolant that is silicate free is a good idea.

Caterpillar has an ELC coolant rating known as EC-1 that just about all diesel operators are using because of the no-silicate, no-phosphate formulation etc.

www.bmgs.com.tr/doc/GucSistemleri/MusteriDestek/CAT-ELC.pdf

Low Silicate Coolant

There's many brands that offer CAT EC-1 rated ELC.

I am switching to Zerex ZXED1 for my 2005 6.0L IHI diesel. I'm also going to switch my Mercruiser 454 to it. Any Napa should have it on the shelf or will be able to get it in 24hrs or less.........

Flush the cooling system with distilled water (unless it's already squeeky cleen!) then get the concentrate and mix it with distilled water OR buy the pre-diluted stuff if it's a "first" fill.

Cheers,

Rick

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not a lot to report, I was on vacation near the end of July, and then had two weddings to attend back to back weekends this month. Well I'm back at it and hope to be firing on all cylinders to get as much done in a short amount of time, I have a lot of ground to make up. So far I PB'd and tabbed in place two mounting "pads" out of 1/2" ply, for where I'll mount my batteries and trim pump. I also am just about done fairing out the cuddy walkway section, it was all uneven and had sharp corners, so I used the lightweight filler to sculpt all my radius' and smooth it all out before I lay down CSM. This area had previously been carpeted and hid many "imperfections".
So I'm hoping to get the deck finished by Friday, gelcoat and all. If that happens, Sat & Sunday I plan on getting the transom assembly in place and dropping in the engine, finally!!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
NICE JOB! Are you going to coat the engine compartment with gelcoat or just paint it? When I redid my engine compartment, after all the fiberglass work I did to change the engine mounts and seal the transom, I painted it all using Interlux Bilgekote that I bought from a local West Marine. Looks like you can buy it right here on iBoats too!

bilgekote_0.jpg

Last edited:

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
NICE JOB! Are you going to coat the engine compartment with gelcoat or just paint it? When I redid my engine compartment, after all the fiberglass work I did to change the engine mounts and seal the transom, I painted it all using Interlux Bilgekote that I bought from a local West Marine. Looks like you can buy it right here on iBoats too!

Thanks Rick, I'm sticking with gelcoat cause I prefer it. I had used the Bilgekote first time I had the doghouse/transom restored and it is nice, easy to clean looks good. Gelcoat I feel has the bond to fiberglass and it should never peel or chip. Gel is fairly inexpensive too, I get can white for $70/gallon. I currently have one or two coats with white, but I'm planning on doing the second coat in grey for the engine and transom areas. I'll add that its easy to apply with a short nap roller (1/8" nap), and spread it around.

Last edited:

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thought up some more names for the boat... "Overtime" or "Second Shift". Also "Sweat Equity" was another good one I think, lol. This boat feels like a second job. I come home from work, eat dinner, then go out back to the boat yard.

Last night I completed tabbing the corners of the deck with 1.5oz CSM tape. I already had 1708 tabbing done from when I replaced the deck 7 years ago now...(damn). But since then I've done plenty of sanding and filling voids etc. so I cut a length of 6" wide tape down the middle to give me 3" wide tabbing for my 1st layer, then went over it again with the full 6" wide tape. I did this for both sides of the hull.

I forgot to mention that a while back I also tabbed the surrounding fuel tank lip area with two layers of CSM, so all I have left is to tab the cuddy walk way and I'm a GO for final deck layup!

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here are some additional repairs I made to the upper transom areas. I patched the old holes for the tow hooks with PB, and started the process of building them back up with red gelcoat I picked up. I also repaired a few other scratches and dings...still needs a few more coats.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Woe, you know I have grown to hate tabbing....there is just something monotonous about it! I'll be interested to follow your gelcoat repairs, I'm assuming you are just brushing it on?

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Woe, you know I have grown to hate tabbing....there is just something monotonous about it! I'll be interested to follow your gelcoat repairs, I'm assuming you are just brushing it on?

I can't tell you how happy and good I'm going to feel once all this fiberglassing work is behind me. I'm so done, been at it for too long. Me being a bit of a stickler doesn't help much either, ha. Last night was so humid, I couldn't stand being in my tyvek suit, 15mins and it's like I jumped in a pool. I only wore it when sanding, but normally I like to keep it on cause it also serves as a barrier to mosquito's.
Yes, I'm using waxed gel and just brushing it on. I'm quite happy with the color match too, I lucked out.