1964 Alumacraft Cordella Opinions

DetRvrRat

Cadet
Some of you may have seen my post asking how and where I find the hull # on the old alumacraft. I since gave up and until I find something that tells me otherwise then I'll stick with the idea that it is in fact a 1964 Cordella. I have been slowly working on it and have run into some small issues. They may not be as bad as I think but needed some professional input. I had some time to get it off the trailer and flipped over, I noticed that someone had used alumalloy to fill the broken rivets in the hull in the 4th-8th rib on the port side which left nothing holding the ribs in place on that side. Also the port side runner, i guess thats what it is, had been hit and broke off, also allumaloyed together. So I ground down the allumalloy to smooth it out. Figuring that I needed to replace the rivets in the ribs I removed the ribs to clean the "junk" they used to seal the boat with (tar/ silicone). Any advice to if this is a waste of my time? Is this possibly just a "scrap" boat? Am I on the right track?
http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/shyguy976/slideshow/
_2768027314343116831_zpsd810bec8.jpg
_2768027314343116838_zps08f86423.jpg
_2768027314343116839_zps62c47422.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 1964 Alumacraft Cordella Opinions

Hey Rat welcome aboard the iboats dry dock. I really like the shape of the old gal, she's not a scrap heap by all means. Also that rib problem is fixable for sure. In fact my Sea Nymph had a cracked rib or 3 that I repaired in my restoration thread below.

Your boat was not required to have a HIN by the CG since it was made prior to 1972.

DetRvrRat

Cadet

TY Watermann. I know it may be a bit of a long road ahead to get her back on the water. Shes a classic for sure and would look nice on the water again. I wish I knew what I could use to strip the tar or whatever off the hull. I have already purchased the aircraft rivet gun and the new rivet's are on they way. I can usually figure out to fix things but having the iboats advice helps alot. I'll add some more pics as soon as I find some extra time. Being a 60hr a week plumber doesn't leave me much time to play.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I don't think I've seen a tin boat with a transom put together quite like that one, interesting and very cool.

The goop of owners past, yes many here including myself have toiled with that "stuff". Goof off, paint strippers, wire wheel, chisels, sanding wheels and grinders. One guy found a bunch of that sno-seal roof sealer poured in the keel of his boat. There are as many methods that have been tried to get it off as there are restoration projects here. You just have to be careful of how far you go in you efforts since aluminum is so soft.

Most of restoration projects here takes years not months so plug away at the old girl and study up along the way. Good idea to get the right tools, you could also start looking for off season sales on things like seats just to have them when the time comes.

DetRvrRat

Cadet

I have been collecting some "junk" fiberglass boats which i have kept all the good working parts. I acquired a 19' aristocraft which was completely trashed, but the seats were in good condition. I was thinking I could use those seats as a pattern for the cordella. The bimini top was was trash although the frame and supports are in great shape. Kept all the guages. I also acquired 2 hummingbird fishfinder set ups in the boats.

I can't complain too much about the alumacraft IT WAS FREE! with the trailor! There are a few things that I will look for while I get it water tight, a windshield, the flag pole for the bow light, and a bow eye since its broken. I'll have time to hunt while I work on getting her water ready.

Anyone willing to share some of the side bracing pics from a Queen Merrie?

Last edited: