1976 Starcraft Supersport rebuild

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport rebuild

Here are some pics, I haven't taken many. This is with the consoles and front seat bracket in as well as the starboard windshield, just before putting on the port windshield.

A shot of the new transom before putting it in

and I just drained the lower unit oil that has been sitting for several years. Is is hard to tell if it is just dirty oil or if it is milky (water intrusion).

Any thoughts on the appearance of the oil?

P1010553.JPGP1010554.JPGP1010555.JPGP1010556.JPG

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

LOL yes the V-4's are thirsty but once you master the power you will be fine. That oil just look well used. If you let it sit and there is no separation then it was fine. Milky oil will separate if left undisturbed

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

Bob, can you elaborate on "master the power" Are you talking about running up on plane without going WOT to get fuel efficiency? Or am I way off? I am new to all this... Well my brother has a 33 ft cruisers, which we don't exactly worry about fuel efficiency lol

dozerII

Admiral

AS Bob says the V4's are great motors. At cruise speed they don't do to bad on fuel (under 3/4 throttle). the only time you will see them suck back as much as I said before is working real hard. Great progress on the boat by the way.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I think the 70 might be a bit under powered for what you want to do with a full boat and pulling tubes or skiers. May be worth getting the motor running well and try it before you just upgrade without. I run a 90 on my tin 19 footer and it does well but I don't pull anyone, and and I don't have more that 2-3 people ever. Mostly a fishing boat.
You are doing some nice work on the rebuild for sure.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 85 / 88 / 90 V4s should be plenty of power for that boat. If you get it propped right, (5500 rpm WOT with you and another passenger), I think you can cruise at 4000 ish with decent fuel economy. Pulling skiers or tubers will burn more but my experience with a 90 and a 112 has been they are not the gas hogs some people say they are. How it's set up and how you run it can make a big difference.

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, it has been a fun project. I dropped the boat off Monday afternoon to be blasted and painted. They are going to use 2 coats of marine 2 part epoxy paint for a total thickness of about 6 mils. I am also having them blast the splashwell since the prior owner brush painted it. The guy said it will take 2-3 weeks because it is small and he will just fit it in between larger jobs when he can.

I ordered ear muffs the other day so hopefully I can do some more work on the motor while the boat is away. Greenbush, I will most likely get the motor up and running on the boat to try it out, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on it then decide to move up to a bigger motor.

I ordered new gaskets for the lower unit drain/fill screws today as well as a oil pump so I will refill the lower unit with new oil as soon as they come in. I also need to order a fuel pump or rebuild kit and water pump kit. Not sure how much I am going to do myself or have the outboard guy do...

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

I have been busy, but I have been neglecting this thread. I will post some pics shortly

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

I am sorry that I missed this thread and I am very interested in what you find out about the fuel consumption with your 70HP. I have a 1975 85HP Johnson on my boat. It is a tri-hull and weights about 1250 boat and motor. I need to fill my gas can up and cruise around until it is gone to get a total time.

Also how long is your SS?

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

I'd definitely like to hear how you make out with gas usage. It is a 16' which weighs about 850, boat and motor. Probably pushing 1100 lbs with all the other "stuff" such as batteries, gas, anchors, etc. Mine is aluminum, is your's fiber? The previous owner said he could go all day on 6 gallons if it was just a driver, spotter and skier...