1976 Starcraft Supersport rebuild

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice
Well, I got my first boat... she needs some work but so far has been a fun project. I got the boat for free from my brother's friend who wanted it out of his yard. I just had to get a new trailer. Moving it from the old trailer was a chore since the piece of property where it was didn't have anywhere level to do the move. Lots of brute force and swearing got the job done. A gantry crane would have helped. So far I have everything out except the floor and transom. Can't seem to get the transom to come out. I have searched up and down for any screws or bolts that I might have missed... nothing. The wood is wet, is it possible that it is just swollen to the point of being super tight? Any other tips/hints are appreciated.

Attachments

• P1010536.JPG
    P1010536.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010537.JPG
    P1010537.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010538.JPG
    P1010538.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010539.JPG
    P1010539.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010540.JPG
    P1010540.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport rebuild

yup it takes quite a bit of force on some of the SS transoms to get the wood lifted out. You might have to tie the hull to the trailer and keep lifting the wood.

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

Here are some more pics

Attachments

• P1010541.JPG
    P1010541.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010542.JPG
    P1010542.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010543.JPG
    P1010543.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010544.JPG
    P1010544.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010545.JPG
    P1010545.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 0

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

yup it takes quite a bit of force on some of the SS transoms to get the wood lifted out. You might have to tie the hull to the trailer and keep lifting the wood.

Thanks, I will have to try that. I might also see if I can screw some 2x4 stock to the old transom and fit a bottle jack or 2 under it to lift it loose.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Thanks, I will have to try that. I might also see if I can screw some 2x4 stock to the old transom and fit a bottle jack or 2 under it to lift it loose.

Welcome to the Starmada!!!

Removing a non-mulched transom is rarely pretty. if the bottle jacks don't work, use those 2x4's as hammering surfaces...just make sure they're well fastened to the transom or you could end up eating wood and/or the big bleeping hammer :) definitely wear goggles. :nerd:

EDIT: did you remove the splashwell drain tubes?

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey adam, great project you scored, free too, awesome!!!:thumb:

Yah, you've got the right idea on your transom, that should pop it out.

You can click on the Jet Star link in my signature to check out how I pulled mine out, it was pretty well stuck in there too.

Cheers!

:welcome:

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, I did remove the drain tubes. A few sections are in pretty rough condition, but I am trying to be careful so I can use the old one as a template...

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you use a jack, make sure you use enough plywood or lumber scraps under the jack to protect the hull.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

What part of the world are you in? pretty humid where you are. might be able to take a portable heater of a fan to it for a few days and loosen it up. The bottle jack sounds like a good idea too, templates are really nice to have. Good score on the free SS, I'll be following along.

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

What part of the world are you in? pretty humid where you are. might be able to take a portable heater of a fan to it for a few days and loosen it up. The bottle jack sounds like a good idea too, templates are really nice to have. Good score on the free SS, I'll be following along.

I am about an hour outside of Philly. I was able to pry it loose with the bottle jacks and a couple of flat pry bars. I also got the floor out and most of the old foam out. I ordered 1/2" MDO for the floor and 3/4" marine plywood for the transom. I think I am going to spar varnish the transom. What did you use to seal the edges of the MDO? I am thinking porch paint on the bottom and edges of the MDO and a light grey Behr Deckover for the topside for a little traction.

Behr Paint and Wood Stain - House Paint and Wood Stains

I will try to post some pics later tonight.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I stained the bottom of my deck and coated it with two coats of polyurethane (including the edges), and then used a Bear floor/deck paint that seems to be holding up OK (and it was cheap). I'm sure you'll hear this from others, but make sure you put the glue on the transom VERY liberal and watch for squeeze out around ALL edges. The transom is a critical piece of the puzzle here, make sure its right you don't want to have to do it twice. Glad to hear the bottle jack worked for you.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

you didnt epoxy your transom?

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

Quick update: Old floors are out, old foam is out. Pressure washed the inside and topside and put new foam in. Here are some pics. The new plywood for the transom and floor came in yesterday and I have started to cut out the floor. The rest of the wood parts for the consoles, etc. will go over to my dad's basement where he has a wood shop. I will try to get some more pics in the next few days of the progress.P1010548.JPGP1010549.JPGP1010550.JPGP1010551.JPGP1010552.JPG

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

you didnt epoxy your transom?

Actually no, I put about 5 coats of Spar Urethane on it. I used MDO for my transom, which is designed for outdoor signage. De-lamination is unlikely but definitely a possibility down the road, but I'm certain this will last 10 - 15 years the way it is.

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

I have been making some good progress on the SS. I put new foam and floors in. Used the same pink foam and MDO for the floors that 850 did. Got the consoles and bow seat frame painted and installed. Also got the windshield installed. Topside is painted. And most of the upholstery is done (but not installed). New transom is installed. I used doubled up glued and screwed marine ply and coated with spar Urethane.

This week I hope to get the boat down to a local company that blasts and paints commercial equipment. They will blast, prime and paint the outside of the hull for around $800 (hopefully).

Next question is the motor. It came with a 1977 Johnson 70 HP. I did some messing around with it and got it running. I know the fuel pump and fuel lines need to be replaced or rebuilt, plus new waterpump, gasket around cowling, lower unit oil, etc. I am guessing it would cost a few hundred to have the local outboard guy do an initial maintenance/tune up. I would love to move up to a 85 HP. There is a local guy on craigslist selling a 1986 Force 85 HP. Any thoughts on Force motors of that time period? Is a mid 80s Force any better or worse than say a late 70s Johnson or Evinrude of the same HP?

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated!

I will post progress pics soon.

Here are a couple motors I am eyeing:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/boa/4095101193.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/boa/4089458224.html

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

No comparison between the Force and the Johnson, I would stay as far away from that Force as possible. The 70 Johnson is one of the best out there with great parts support. Power to weight ratio is great.
We need to see some progress pictures!!

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

No comparison between the Force and the Johnson, I would stay as far away from that Force as possible. The 70 Johnson is one of the best out there with great parts support. Power to weight ratio is great.
We need to see some progress pictures!!

Is it worth moving up to an 85HP Evinrude/Johnson if I can get one in good shape?

dozerII

Admiral

Is it worth moving up to an 85HP Evinrude/Johnson if I can get one in good shape?
The V4 Johnson Evinrudes are great bullet proof motors and were built for many years. They are considerably heavier than the 70. I believe the 85/90 are 312lbs with TNT, which is the only way I would buy one. If you are going to look at these motors don't buy one pre 1979 as the TNT is hard to get parts for and not as good as the later model. The V4's are very thirsty if you run fast and hard , as in tubing. I had a 90 that would burn 6 gal in 20 minutes pulling a tube. I guess it's a personal choice but I always think more power is better, the wife not so much LOL. Another great motor is the mid 80's Yamaha 85/90 if you can find one in good shape. Lighter than the V4's with good power.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Investigate the year of that motor. Ask about the impeller........ if that motor is in the 70's offer less money. I love the V-4's for the SS hulls.

adamd1357

Seaman Apprentice

6 gallons in 20 minutes is a lot of gas!!

The old owner said he could pull a skier all day on 6 gallons with the 70hp. But he said that would be with just a driver, spotter and skier. I would like to pull a tuber with 3-4 people on the boat at a decent speed without putting an Exonnmobil exec's kid through college. That said would I get better fuel efficiency/power from an 85 or should I fix up the 70hp? I feel like the 70 would be underpowered with the extra bodies on board and would just burn gas without much speed? Thoughts??