1972 Ranger Bass Boat inquiry...

Hello again. This is my second post so far and I received such quick responses on my first post I thought Id try again.
I recently got a 1972 16ft Ranger bass boat. Its in pretty good condition. Trailer is original to the boat. All the parts are there ( i think) My biggest concern is how and where to get information about the boat. Id like to make sure the items that I need to replace are at best compatible. Im missing some things that were bolted/screwed on to the top edges of the boat. I am missing the anchor (if they come with one). Most of my questions are somewhat general and generic. This is my first larger boat. I have no experience connecting or operating an outboard engine using a steering console so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. On that note if there are any books or such that could be recommended I would be appreciative for that as well. Basically anything to help me get the boat back to a working and fully functional state is my main focus. I figure it to be difficult to learn on defective equipment. Sorry for the ramble. I just wanted to make sure i cover all basis and paint a vivid picture of my inexperience. Thanks in advance for any all help/direction.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Ranger Bass Boat inquiry...

No manuals for such things actually. This forum is the "Boat University" so ask what ever you need and the "Boat Professors" will be along to answer your questions. It's usually best to post pics of your boat so we all can see what you see and then give you the appropriate guidance.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Lets start w/ some pix of your rig. And dive in to the resto forum threads.

You can gain valuable knowledge of general boat demo and putback/resto info going thru them. Go thru lots of them. It'll give you more then you'll ever want or need to know about 30+yr old boat rehab.

Don's list is a good resource too:
[h=3]How To's and Other Great Information[/h]
WOG will be one of those boat work professor's he just referred to....

Welcome to the iboats dry dock

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Call Ranger, They are very helpful with that kind of info.

Thanks everyone. After re-reading my post I realized it is pretty obvious about my experience or lack thereof. That being said I did snap some pictures in hopes it would give a little more insight to the specifics of what I need and should tackle first. After ensuring she floats and is stable in the water my first concern is engine size and the like. Im certain there limits in my area in regards to hp which is capped at 10hp. My question is how do I determine if I need a long or short shaft motor? Are there standard "depths" for either? As I wrote before this will be a first for me using a steering console with a motor. Are there certain motors for this function? I only ask because I have a 5.5hp Johnson Seahorse that has a metal bracket that resembles a handle of sorts with a hole that upon inspection looks as if it connects to what I would assume would be steering "linkage". Next would a 5.5hp running in good order suffice for a 16ft fiberglass boat. Fyi-Cargo capacity is 1100lbs. The engine is a pull start, again im assuming that would be the only way to start the engine given the option for an electronic start at the console? Also the throttle at the console has cables ran to the engine location is it safe to assume (seeing a pattern, ha ha) that there are certain engines that can be controlled at the console? Essentially she got a good body to build from. She floats. Is stable and balanced. The trailer is original and Ranger branded as well. Im lacking a motor and the information to obtain and install the correct type in order for the boat to be on the water asap. I think that may narrow my necessity and like you guys stated before the rest should be easy to learn as I "dig" into it. Lastly, how do I post the pictures on the thread?

zool

Captain

Heres a few adds from ranger back then....not much info but....

Old Bass Boat Ads

that tower on the back aint no 5.5 tho :D

Open a free photobucket account to post pic image codes.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Where you plan to boat has a 10hp max limit? But they allow 2strokes?

This will help w/ the long vs short shaft motor question:
shaft_measure.gif

In your photobucket acct, there should be an IMG
Code:
 for each pix.  Copy that code, and paste it in your thread.  It will look something like this:
IMG]http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/shaft_measure.gif[/IMG

And put the pix IN your post rather then as an attachment that has to be opened, like the pix of the shaft length that I posted.

The front 'handle' of your motor has a keyhole that looks like this:
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2zqrhvd.jpg[/IMG]

You need the assembly to attach a steering linkage to your motor, at that keyhole:
[IMG]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Johnson-Evinrude-Outboard-Tiller-Cable-Steering-Bracket-with-Pulleys-377440-/00/s/MTA3MVgxNjAw/z/dooAAOxyyrRR-vOI/$T2eC16d,%21%29QE9s3HF451BR-vOIUQM%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Johnson-Evinrude-Outboard-Tiller-Cable-Steering-Bracket-with-Pulleys-377440-/00/s/MTA3MVgxNjAw/z/RtYAAOxyGstR-vOU/$%28KGrHqZ,%21roFHloEbw+BBR-vOUKfw%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG[/IMG]
if you plan to use a cable & pulley steering system:

It's a: [URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Evinrude-Outboard-Tiller-Cable-Steering-Bracket-with-Pulleys-377440-/190879532219?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c714e84bb&vxp=mtr"]Johnson Evinrude Outboard Tiller Cable Steering Bracket[/URL], and can be found on ebay & probably Iboats too, and other online vendors.

Unless your motor is setup for electronic starting, it could be a challenge to add an electrical start.  Pull start will work, just have to go to the motor & pull start it.

Unless your motor is setup for remote throttle & Forward/Neutral/Reverse control, it could be a challenge to add as well.

What's the model & serial # of the 5.5hp Seahorse?

A 5.5hp will barely move a 16ft bass boat at a trolling speed.  Unless you are constrained by the 10hp max limit for the water's you'll use, there is plenty of options for a larger hp motor.

A bass boat isn't an ideal platform to be using a non-remote start & non-remote control throttle & non-remote shift capable motor, IMHO.  Low freeboard & low gunwales, on a boat that you'd have to be getting up & down regularly to perform those functions, could be tricky, cumbersome & problematic when trying to fish.

Post some pix of the boat, motor & console station, the serial # of the motor, and some details about how & where you'll use the boat....