Teak refurbished

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Just wanted to display some photos showing my work in progress restoring my teak on the boat.

photo(16).JPG Before

photo(17).JPG After

photo(18).JPG Port side step teak done

photo(19).JPG Port done but you can compare what the starboard looks like before I applied the teak oil

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Teak refurbished

I also applied about 1-2 coats more on the swim step after that photo it looks really nice now!

jkust

Rear Admiral

Looks like you had the same issue with the sanding I had with a teak table. No matter the grit I used with a belt sander no less, I couldn't get it to completely smooth out like you could with say a piece of old oak wood. Teak is insanely hard and frustrating to work with as I discovered. Funny how newer boats for many years now don't even have a hint of teak.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

The teak looks really nice when it's cleaned up. You just have to keep up the maintenance or it will revert to the grey color again. My 89 SR has a teak ski locker and 2 steps just like on yours. I stripped the ski locker down completely to individual teak planks, cleaned it up, re-oiled and rebuilt. The steps I have to do in-situ as they still have the teak plugs in over the screw heads and I can't get them out. Replacement teak plugs are like gold to buy - so expensive! Teak is just so costly these days. My ski locker goes for over $200 on Ebay (if you can see one). I guess the bean counters prefer plastic to teak.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

When I did my swim platform I used 80 grit then 100 grit. That got me right down to smooth bare wood.

Attachments

• AFTER 2.jpg
    AFTER 2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DURING 1.jpg
    DURING 1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SWIM PLATFORM 1.JPG
    SWIM PLATFORM 1.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 0

jkust

Rear Admiral

When I did my swim platform I used 80 grit then 100 grit. That got me right down to smooth bare wood.

I went down to 40 grit on the belt sander to no avail. 40 was the lowest belts I could find. Just individual straight slats and it was like iron. Because of that it drank the teak oil and it would gray out in a matter of a couple weeks. Your teak is exactly what I was trying for.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

I went down to 40 grit on the belt sander to no avail. 40 was the lowest belts I could find. Just individual straight slats and it was like iron. Because of that it drank the teak oil and it would gray out in a matter of a couple weeks. Your teak is exactly what I was trying for.

40 grit should have removed everything, including half the thickness of the teak! I am amazed that it didnt take you down to clean bare wood. To keep mine lookng good I oiled it every day for a week, then once a week for a month, now once a month until a full year has gone by. Supposedly, after a year I should only have to oil it twice a year. Time will tell. I did learn to keep it covered whenever the boat was not in the water.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I am SO glad I don't have teak on my boat!

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Well all I got to say is if mine didn't come out as it looks now, to teak standards, I'm pleased!!!

Maybe next time I will sand it down further but for now it is as pretty as its going to get for what efforts I put into it. Wasn't really all that hard so I don't understand why people say its a pita! Sure it's regular maintenance but so is anything on a boat. Time I like to spend while she is land side!

Sense of good ol pride!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Well all I got to say is if mine didn't come out as it looks now, to teak standards, I'm pleased!!!

Maybe next time I will sand it down further but for now it is as pretty as its going to get for what efforts I put into it. Wasn't really all that hard so I don't understand why people say its a pita! Sure it's regular maintenance but so is anything on a boat. Time I like to spend while she is land side!

Sense of good ol pride!

I agree. I love the look of teak and it really isn't that hard to maintain. What is 30 minutes now and then on a boat? Not as much as everything else a boat requires, maintenance wise.