1993 Bayliner Capri 1950 restoration

rburggraf

Cadet
Call me a mad man, but I decided to tackle replacing the floor and transom on a boat I bought for $250 complete. The first thing I noticed was the floor was soft at the ski locker (Who'd have thought). So after reading several books on restoration and fiberglass repair I got to work. after reading several forum threads here, I skipped the transom test and decided if the floor is shot, the transom is shot. So I ripped up the floor and discovered to my horror it had been done before, and horribly at that. Not wanting to make the same mistakes twice, I am seeking wisdom from my peers. I am still grinding away so I have time for planning. My first questions are these.

1. The transom is recessed about 4 inches which means the transom is not flat against the hull. The 2 stringers are attached to the side of the transom and against the hull. This doesn't sound like a very good way to do this as the force of the outdrive is applied to the side of the stringers and not directly pushing the stringers. I plan on putting a 5.7L SB engine and I don't want the engine winding up in my lap. Should I do it exactly the same way or what.

2. What exactly do I do to replace the transom?. It is 3 peices of plywood with no fibergalss between peices. Shouldn't I sandwhich fiberglass between layers. What type of fiberglass should I use between layers and do I tab each layer or tab only the outerlayer. How many layers should the outer layer be and should it be chopped strand or roven.

3. The stringer was only 3/4 inch plywood tabed and badly covered. Shouldn't it be 1 1/2" When covering the stringers, what type of glass should I use and how many layers. For the floor, do I fiberglass the bottom side or just resin it to seal it.

Like I said, I'm a newbe wanting a little challenge and I want to do it right so any advice would be greatly appreciated.100_0107.jpg100_0093a.jpg100_0110a.jpg

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 Bayliner Capri 1950 restoration

welcome to iboats, and bayliner mania. there is a lot of good info on this sit, and a lot of people that are will to help. I am in the process of doing a 83 bowrider right now and mine looks a lot the same under the floor.The stringers were 1/2" and run to the side of the transom, my transom looked recessed but when i carefully cut it out, it was flat three peices plywood.I put back in the same amount to acheve the same thickness, glued each one together with wood glue a waterproof one, i used gorilla glue. There is alot of good info in the how to section on the top of the boat restoration section and in some of the guys avatar will have links to builds and info_Other members will be along with more knowledge. here is my resto link.http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/bayliner-bowrider-rebuild-609573.html