Rebuilding deck and stringers on 1996 Astro 19 FT CENTER CONSOLE.

Crobear73

Recruit
I purchased this boat a couple weeks ago. I knew about the soft spot on the deck. So was expecting some deck repair was in the near future. After cutting out sections of deck I discovered every stringer completely rotten. For some reason the plywood stringers were not capped with epoxy. Can not image a situation that would prevent you from capping the stringers. So the exposed edges of the plywood have been sucking up moisture like a sponge. This also looks like a replacement deck. It was installed over the old deck. Here my question!! I would like to remove the casting deck and completely redo stringers. How do I do this. I understand cutting the top deck from the hull but what about underneath.?
While we at it the stringer are so rotten I can clean the wood complete out and what remains is a fiberglass trough.. Has anyone every just replaced the wood in the existing fiberglass and reseated and sealed it?

Crobear73

Recruit
Re: Rebuilding deck and stringers on 1996 Astro 19 FT CENTER CONSOLE.

Mod please DELETE this post. Just using up space!!!!!

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why is it using up space? I don't want to be the only one here currently rebuilding a center console.

Show some pictures to let us see what you are dealing with.

Crobear73

Recruit

Only paid 500.00 for hull and trailer. I expected she needed work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg