'61 Crestliner Arabian Deluxe resto

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well after many months in the "Johnson outboard" repair forum. The engine is done! (anyone who wants to see that can follow the other thread) Now on to the boat. I promised that I would start a thread here so here I am. I also noticed a thread in the instruction sticky, that had before and after photos. REALLY COOL! I have taken all the seats out and want to get the steering wheel off. Can anyone tell me how to pull it?I am going to keep this boat, so it has to be completely redone from the old Cox trailer, to the horn, everything. I am already so attached to this project that sometimes I will just go out to the boahouse and think about what has to be done. I am thinking of putting in a microwave and refrigerator in there.

steering wheel.jpgsteering wheel center cap.jpgsteering wheel center post.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '61 Crestliner Arabian Deluxe resto

Based on what you have shown us here, the kitchen appliances will need to be small to fit if at all. Maybe I'm not seeing what you have, looks to be a run about speed boat. Maybe the fridge is for the boat house, if you put more pictures up I bet we will all join you on the restoration. I'm restoring a 1961 Lone Star myself.

jbcurt00

Staff member

My question is, how do I get the steering wheel off.
Gentle persuasion....

Use some lubricating/penetraiting oil on the steering shaft, put the nut back on the steering shaft stub out & tighten it until the end of the shaft is just below the plane of the nut. Using a metal hammer tap the nut firmly but not so hard as to damage the nut or the threads on the shaft. Have someone else gently pulling on the wheel gently while you're tapping the nut. Pull the wheel from 3 & 9 o'clock, then tug on the wheel from 12 & 6 o'clock

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Curt,
I thought that was how, but wanted to sure. I wasn't sure if there might be a set screw or keyway or something. :encouragement: Thanks!

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the steering wheel has two drilled screw holes next to the large nut a steering wheel puller could be used. Don't know if you tried a two jaw gear puller. My wheel did not have the drilled screw holes, so I had to use the gear puller. It luckily had slots next to the nut, after removing nut placed gear puller in slots and centered on shaft and the wheel popped off.

The steering wheel cover should be held on by two screws on the backside of the wheel. But some don't have any but use clips or snap posts/poles style. Mine had the snap posts/poles.
100_3434.jpg

After the wheel was removed it had a square key for alignment, don't lose that key or you'll have to go to the hardware store to find another.

Good luck and keep going.

jbcurt00

Staff member

After the wheel was removed it had a square key for alignment, don't lose that key or you'll have to go to the hardware store to find another.

Tractor Supply had a pretty good selection about a year ago, but the last time I was in 1, they'd reduced the amount of specialty hardware screws, cotter pins & rolled pinch pins. Fairly sure they had them before, now, IDK....

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

9-8-13 022.jpg9-8-13 024.jpg9-8-13 025.jpg9-8-13 033.jpg
Took all of the seats out. Refinished one of the seat pan back support brackets. Pictures also show seat cusion wood inserts. They were in fairly good condition for over 50 years old.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

controls a.jpgcontrols b.jpg
Took off the controls, they are in pretty good shape. I think I will keep these and refurbish. New cables of course. Are they worth keeping, or should I replace them? Still working on the steering wheel, it is stuck on there good.

Last edited:

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the steering wheel is off, and I chipped it. Anyway it never did pull off the shaft, I had to disassemble it from the rear and then it came of in one big piece. Including the escussion and shaft. The pulley assembly is just held on by a big nut.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Epoxy glued the chip back on, filled all of the little cracks too. Four coats of paint and two coats of clear. I am keeping the old center piece original for effect. What do you think?steering wheel refinished.jpg

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

looks great to me. I love keeping as much of the vintage bling as possible.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

View attachment 211071View attachment 211072View attachment 211073View attachment 211074
Took all of the seats out. Refinished one of the seat pan back support brackets. Pictures also show seat cusion wood inserts. They were in fairly good condition for over 50 years old.

Hi 59, in the 3rd pic from the left it shows where seat bases were attached to the floor. What did those bases look like? Is the 4th pic the base? My Aerocraft had the same hole pattern in the floor but the seats were changed out before I got it. Just curious!!!

SBB

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi 59, in the 3rd pic from the left it shows where seat bases were attached to the floor. What did those bases look like? Is the 4th pic the base? My Aerocraft had the same hole pattern in the floor but the seats were changed out before I got it. Just curious!!!

SBB

Yes the 4th pic is the base, upside down. Here is how it looked.CLb.jpg

Seat config.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Wheel looks great!

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

9-21-13 For Sale 081.jpg
Here's another shot. This really was worth all the effort. The pictures don't show the smooth glossy clear coat finish that well. Next thing is to build the rotisserie and stand for when she's topside down. I have the sanding tools, but still have to get all of the fiberglass materials and paint together. Oh and a minor detail, hoist the engine and build the stand to put it on. I'll post pix of that too, I bought a chain fall to lift the Johnson. The controls are being stripped now, paint for those coming this next week. Can old cables for controls be reconditioned (they are really stiff)?

kfa4303

Banned

Hi 59. Unfortunately, you can't really recondition the cables themselves :/ Thankfully, new ones aren't that expensive. They're only about $20-$30 US right here in iboats and they'll last for ages. You can, however, re-use the vintage control box and levers so it will all still look vintage on the outsie. Just be sure to save all of the cable fittings from both ends.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi 59. Unfortunately, you can't really recondition the cables themselves :/ Thankfully, new ones aren't that expensive. They're only about $20-$30 US right here in iboats and they'll last for ages. You can, however, re-use the vintage control box and levers so it will all still look vintage on the outsie. Just be sure to save all of the cable fittings from both ends.

Not too expensive is good since I have NO money. I took them out and saved everything. Plus, I am refinishing the control box, I'll post pix on flickr page too. The ends of the cables are the only thing specific to the control box?9-22-13 018.jpg9-22-13 024.jpg9-22-13 049.jpg9-22-13 050.jpg9-22-13 054.jpg
I sprayed them with self etching primer first and then paint. I don't think I'll paint the raised letters red like how the original ones were. What do you think?