New deck for a fiberglass pontoon

Pontooningit

Recruit
First post
Boat is a 1994 Sunbird Odyssey 21
I need to replace my deck on a fiberglass pontoon. What is the best material to use? I will not be putting carpet down when I finish, probably just a bed-liner type product. Plywood was used the first time and I don't know if it was sealed with anything but does not look like it. All the edges have rotted around rub rail and all penetrations. Weight and cost are obviously factors.
I have contemplated plastic sheet decking but worried about weight and very costly. I have also thought about plywood but what kind, thickness, should it be sealed and with what? From looking at other threads I know this is a very confusing about the plywood. Also I have never glassed before but I am willing to learn just don't have much time.
Longevity is probably my major concern, then cost.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: New deck for a fiberglass pontoon

If you want longevity, then this product is for you:

3/4" Marine Treated Decking

It's kinda hard to find because lumber yards don't carry it, but you could ask around at some of your local boat dealers and they can probably tell you where to find it.

Then the next best is the marine grade douglas fir, but it'll rot if not properly sealed and cared for.

Then the next best is MDO plywood, but it'll only work if you use epoxy resin.

Then there's what most people use on this site, the ABX or BCX exterior grade plywood. If properly sealed and cared for this stuff will last a long time too.

You should post some pics of your boat so we can see what you have to work with for the best help.

I suspect your boat is actually a fiberglass deck boat?

Pontooningit

Recruit

Thank you for your input. Yes this boat was the start of the deck boats, but it was still classified as a pontoon boat because it has three separate pontoons and never comes together at the stern. I believe it was where they really began thinking out the deck boat.
Is the product your talking about a composite or wood product?
Thanks

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

All products are wood.

I probably should have explained the MDO (medium density overlay). This is a very strong plywood that is made for use in wet environments, it's used in outdoor sign making, concrete form work, and boat building. It's made with a fabric coating that is sealed with a phenolic (epoxy) resin... but it is plywood. It has a very smooth finish on the coated side and is made with both faces coated or just one face coated. Depending on your location it's about $60-$70 a sheet.