?: polishing the aluminum windshield frame

Dershman

Seaman Apprentice
I'm prettying up my 1982 Silverline. What works for bringing the shine back to the aluminum around the windshield frame and rubber rubrail frame?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: ?: polishing the aluminum windshield frame

a whole lot of elbow grease and mothers aluminum polish will make it look like chrome. I've not had good experiances with using power polishers or otherwise... tends to burn in places.. just ask my old harley. :D not sure about the rubber rubrail but possibly some armorall on a cloth would give it a shine. just wouldnt reccomend getting that stuff on anything else.

jmccall001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

try some glycerin on the rubber of the rub rail - won't hurt anything else and it will help soften it

Korn

Recruit

I just cleaned some pontoons that were sitting for 10 years and were pitted and black. I used Metal Cleaner from the following site:<br /><br /> http://metalwax.com/Webstore/Subtopic3.htm <br /><br />I didn't want care about them being super shiny, so I only used the Metal Cleaner product. It was amazing. It's almost as if it burned the dirt and stain off. The polish looks like it will work pretty good too.

Ralph 123

Captain

3M marine also makes an aluminum polish that works well...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

My windshield frame has spotty white corrosion all over it, probably from sitting under the cover, out in the rain 9 mo's out of the year. The cover kept the rain out but I'm sure the frame would sweat.<br /><br />The frame is annodized and I fear that I would rub thru the intact annodizing if I clean all the corrosion off of it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

mine was looking rather weathered so I started with fine steel wool, then moved on to auto rubbing compound then polishing compound. Came out mirror shiny. I keep waxing it, but noticed that it could use a little polishing again after two years.

Chris_Crafter

Seaman Apprentice

Mothers is good, and I have used Nevr-Dull as well.<br /><br />Kevin

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

mothers billet aluminum polish beats there regular aluminum polish hands down

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

mothers billet aluminum polish beats there regular aluminum polish hands down rub with a micro fiber till blackened [ meaning the oxidation came off] and then wipe with a diaper ............ill tell ya a new favorite of mine though is some thing from p&s called aluma brite we use it on big rigs for lots of aluminum cleaned real quick ,,,its hydracloric acid mixed in a proper ratio,,,,,,,,be carful ,,,but it beats hours of scrubbing ...........it would do one of those aluminum camper/trailers in an hour ....it wont buff to a high shine afterwords though ,,not like the billet polish

one more cast

Captain

Mothers or semi-chrome, but using super fine steel wool first will save you tons of time.<br /> If its really bad use a wet sos pad.

SS Gilligan

Recruit

I Use NeverDull wadding to shine, rub out with white flour to remove black residue for a mirror shine. No sanding no scouring pads. Works on Aluminum, brass, etc.
From an boat and airplane restorers point of view.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is a NINE YEAR OLD thread. Start your own thread