Salvage boat title and registration

shpwrecked

Recruit
Re: Salvage boat title and registration

Hello...... I am new to the boat thing and don't have a clue. My husband and I are both military. I just got back from Iraq and he is now deployed. We got an old boat from his mom that has sat in the yard and rusted for over 15 years. The boat belonged to his dad. From our understanding, AL didn't require that his dad have a title. I can't even tell you where and when it was last registered. We can't find any paperwork. My husband did a great deal of work to the boat prior to him leaving. I want to get it registered for him so when he gets back, he can go out on the lake and relax. I've looked all over the boat for any type of number and don't see any. If one was ever there, it has long since disappeared. There is a motor that is on the back that my husband rebuilt. I don't see anything on it either. What do I do? How do I get a title or get it registered? Is there a way that new numbers can be given to the boat and motor? The boat is roughly 16 feet long. One of his uncles recalls that the boat may have been a bass tracker. Whatever that is. HELP!!!!!

Last edited:

studlymandingo

Commander

Get a bill of sale from the mother-in-law; it can say it was a gift or transferred for $10. or whatever. Take it to the DMV and go from there. You can also register it as "homebuilt".

Willyclay

Captain

Complete the required paperwork and submit it with a copy of your Bill of Sale. They may call you and ask a few questions, but NO state bureaucrat is going to return your check! I bought a used boat, 1996 model, without a title last year in GA. I live in a "Title State" and had no problems registering it and securing a title. Put the ball in their court and force a decision.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The alternative is that you "built" this boat in your own backyard.Same thing with the trailer.
Now it has become a local boat and it is about to be registered for the first time.
This trick was offered to me by a DMV clerk in a NY State office.He gave me the papers and I filled them out. We both knew that is was a convenience lie but it cut the red tape by 99% so we were both happy.

shpwrecked

Recruit

Thank you so much.... I am working on getting the bill of sale. I will try to go that route and if that doesn't work then I will try the "homebuilt" option. Again thank you.