What is the best way to seal wood for boat seats?

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the best method for sealing the wood for boat seats? What type of epoxies do you recommend?

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What is the best way to seal wood for boat seats?

Most boat builders use a low viscosity penetrating epoxy to process their timber before use,the longer it takes to cure the better it will penetrate the timber,thus more protection and added strength,in most cases you will have eight hours to apply the second coat, if longer than sixteen hours, all you have to do is sand lightly, clean with a acetone solvent and apply the next coat,I have used this type of epoxy succsessfully in all my boat building and restoration projects ,as well as general wood work in and around the workshop,always wear eye and hand protection when using pentrating epoxy and solvents and always work in a well ventilated area, no smokinng etc.Kind regards William Wright

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

I'm using WEST System products on my project.<br />Same resin mix ratio with about 15 - 20% thinners added and that is used for sealing the bare timbers.<br />I wait for about 30 mins after the first coat for it to flash off and then apply a second coat of mix.<br />This works well and the glue bond is strong and no loss of mechanical strength to the joint.<br /><br />Peter

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I am new to seat building and working with wood that will be used for boat service. All info is appreciated.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I recovered my seats I found the wooden bottoms of the cushions rotted. I just used marine spar varnish to seal the wood - a couple of coats.<br /><br />Not sure how good this is, but it is easy, and I had the varnish. On the other hand, I am always interested in getting constructive critisism.

18rabbit

Captain

Ditto CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) from the Rot Doctor. It is specifically design to penetrate and seal wood. Has the viscosity of diesel fuel, very thin. Thinned regular epoxy does not penetrate the wood very much.<br /><br />DO NOT mix CPES in a paper cup...been there...CPES penetrates right thru the paper (made from wood) fibers and onto the floor and your shoe and then the dog walks thru it ... Just don’t try it in a paper cup.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

And if you use it you have to wear a fume repsirator, there are very strong solvents used with it, and it will stink for a while as they evaporate. I used CPES and rot doc's layup and laminanting resin in my floor repair 2 years ago and it turned out great!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I take it your building replacements for those rotted seat bases? How about trying something different... make them from 1/4" or 3/8" polycarbonate or plexyglass. I like the polycobonate because it can be cold bent at a sharp 90* angle and not break or turn white. Holds it shape. Won't ever rot. Paint on inside will never scratch off. Make a template and cut it out, then "fold" into the cube shape you need. Include flanges for screwing to floor. Low maint. Might even be cheaper than the cost of epoxy for what your currently planning.<br /><br />Just something to think about.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I dunno Mark, will polycarbonate take staples??<br /><br />Also TR18, you'll want to use Monel staples to put the upholstery back on. Home Cheapo carries them I believe.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hi Boom,<br /><br />I mean to replace this base he has on share a project, not the upholstered part. <br /><br />
1659.jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Aha! Makes more sense 42.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. The running boards and a hatch piece for the hull need to be replaced also. Those boards are completely rotted. The control box for the motor in the picture above is almost ready to fall off of the board it is mounted to. The box for the seat in the pic is wood with fiberglass over it. The guy I bought the boat from cut it in order to use the inside for storage. He then let it sit outside for 2 years and the box rotted. The passenger seat box is in great shape. No soft spots. <br /><br />Mark, I have been looking into buying some polyethene sheeting to make the hatch piece and running boards out of. It's cost is cheaper than buying marine plywood and then sealing with the epoxy. For the box I was planning on making out of wood and then fiberglassing over it. The polycarbonate sounds like a better idea. I did not know I could be cold formed like that. How difficult is it to work with? Is it strong enough to handle the weight of a large human like myself(6'2" - 220lb)?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I think it would be strong enough in a 1/4 or 3/8 thickness. Especially if the stress load is vertical. But that is where you get to play and test out the material and your design. I see that seat manufacturers are now using that corrigated plastic you see in election signs for the seat bases and backs. I think design will dictate the strength. There is also special glue that works well.

Nikko

Seaman

I used Cetol. But my seats may be a bit different than yours :) <br /><br />(built but not finished)<br />
seats_3.jpg
<br /><br />(ready to go) <br />
IA_3.jpg
<br /><br />(they work!) <br />
DSC_1592.jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Nikko:<br /> <br />
DSC_1592.jpg
Great action shot Nikko! Who cares about the seats? :D :D

Nikko

Seaman

Thanks Boom...that was about 1 minute after this one. It was a fun (but bouncy) day. This is up Indian arm, about a 1/2 hr away from Vancouver (BC). The fellow on the beach is pouring a foundation (by bucket lowered from above) for a pier for his house.<br /><br />Nikko<br />
DSC_1590.jpg

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nikko, Great shots. What is Cetol? Is it a compsite? Thanks, Mark42. I am looking into the price of polycarb. I was looking at your project. What metal did you use to cast those arrowheads? That was a nice job.