Faded Gel Coat - Yacht Brite

jmatteo1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking for anyone who has used the Yacht Brite product "Buff Magic" on oxidized fiberglass. I haven't found much in the way of product reviews outside the company web site. www.yachtbrite.com<br /><br />Thanks, Joe

bryantjb3

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Faded Gel Coat - Yacht Brite

I bought a '97 Searay last year. It had a fair amount of oxidation and I also read about Yachtbrite products. I purchased a buffer and the Buff Magic and it did return a shine and did not scratch the finish. After starting by hand I recommend the power buffer. :D

jmatteo1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How did it do on removal of the oxidation? I'm working with a 1978 boat, Yellow, in color. I don't have any heavy chalk, just faded color. I can get it to shine, but I can't get the color where I want it.<br /><br />Thanks again , Joe

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Joe<br /><br />I too have a yellow 1977 runabout that was **very** badly faded and oxidized.<br /><br />I used a variety of cheap and readily available materials including Comet on a Scotchbrite pad, Comet on a Steel Wool 000 pad, wet sanding paper #600, Automotive rubbing compound, Automotive Polish and wax combos... I also tried a power buffer with buffing compound bars as the buffing agent.<br /><br />I tried each one on a small area to see what worked.<br /><br />Generally; I was able to get a very nice shine...and an overall good appearance (it's not an embarrasment anymore...) but I was never able to restore the deep shade of yellow that peeks out from behind decals and other areas that were protected from the sun over the years.<br /><br />I've come to the conclusion that I've done as much as I can...and that the UV rays from the sun have pretty much bleached that color away.<br /><br />I've been told that yellow is a pretty hard color to keep from fading in that manner.<br /><br />So, I have a pretty looking boat in a slightly different (lighter) shade of yellow. There were black tape stripes on the sides that I peeled off...to reveal the way deeper yellow color underneath. Rather than replace the striping tape...I'll leave it like it is...now I have Deep yellow Stripes on a lighter yellow hull....all shining like new! Works for me.<br /><br />Thanks for reading, Chuck