Hull damage on aluminum boat(how to repair)?

jamfav

Cadet
I have a 1989 spectrum fish and ski aluminum boat and I have had the hardest time figuring out why my boat leans to one side when i'm on plane. So I have noticed some large dents (not deep but makes almost a wavy look in the hull) about three in a row that the previous owner must have done.. My question is, is there anyway to get the dents out myself? They are closer to the front of the boat which would explain why it leans only after the boat planes off. Is there any way to heat it up and bang them out? or a dent puller? Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: Hull damage on aluminum boat(how to repair)?

I have no personal experience with aluminum boats but I am sure one of our resident experts will drop by shortly. My gut feel is it is defiantly possible and doable especially if you have access to the inside. Couple of thoughts though?
Are you sure this is the reason for the tilting you experience. It could be as simple as the weight is not distributed evenly between the two sides. Keep in mind the under deck weight as well (batteries, gas tank, water tank, etc)

Also you mentioned that the dents are close to the forward part of the boat, normally this part is completely out of the water when you are on plan!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Probably need to post some pix of the damage to get the best help.

There could be other reason the boat lists when not on plane. Does it float correctly fore & aft, port to starboard when not underway?

Having the motor off center could be the cause or was a failed attempt to correct list. Possibly it's off center to compensate for prop walk, I don't recall if the motor is to port or starboard of center.....

I wouldn't bang the dents out & I definitely wouldn't heat the dents out. If they are severe enough to cause the boat to list, they sound substantial enough (pix would help) that the aluminum would need to be shrinked (I know you can shrink metal when you work w/ it, but how you'd even attempt to do that on a aluminum hull, I have no idea) to go back to it's original factory orientation. Aluminum can easily be work hardened, which fatigues the aluminum. The force to create a substantial dent may have been enough to do that. Shrinking the aluminum, pulling the dent, or heating the aluminum could make that worse. You also want to avoid heating the aluminum hull near any hull seams. They are typically sealed from the factory w/ a sealant that doesn't react well to heat. Which could cause a water leak at that seam.

Having someone extremely experienced w/ aluminum boat hull repairs get their hands & eyes on the damage may be your best recourse.

I suspect there may be another cause..........

Minor dents could be scuffed, filled, faired & painted over for a cosmetic repair, but the list would likely remain.

Best of luck w/ your project

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Pics would good.
Grub

jamfav

Cadet

I have no personal experience with aluminum boats but I am sure one of our resident experts will drop by shortly. My gut feel is it is defiantly possible and doable especially if you have access to the inside. Couple of thoughts though?
Are you sure this is the reason for the tilting you experience. It could be as simple as the weight is not distributed evenly between the two sides. Keep in mind the under deck weight as well (batteries, gas tank, water tank, etc)

Also you mentioned that the dents are close to the forward part of the boat, normally this part is completely out of the water when you are on plan!

Thanks for the replies. I posted a month or so ago about the list. and it is only happening on when my bow comes downt to the water.. the dents are closer to the front meaning, about under the windshield and not over the water line by any means.. I would have to remove some decking to get to the front dents but may be able to get to one through the center flooring storage in the center of my boat. The boat sits level in the water and again it only leans when i am going at a descent speed and up.. My motor is off by 1" to one side(1/2 inch off center) but other people on here said that shouldn't cause my list. I really feel theses dents are pushing port bow up. Thanks

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Edit; removed post.

Last edited: