Need help and advice- Rebuilding the floor in a aluminum boat

kuckster1

Recruit
Hey everyone, I am new to the website and just thought I would ask for some advice. I just started to rebuild the wooden floor in my old sea nymph. The wood was rotten and the carpet was trashed. It was my grandpas and when he passed away he left it to me. I already removed everything(including the old water filled foam) and got the new marine grade plywood cut to fit. I bought the ss screws and 1 gallon of tuff coat. I am stuck right now.. I dont know if I am suppose to waterproof the wood?, fiberglass it? sand the wood? I made a special 2 hour trip to cabelas to get the tuff coat not knowing i needed the a special primer, i left without it. I even asked the guy and he told me any primer will do.. I dont know if i believe this. I called the tuff coat company and they said I need to use a special 2 part tuff coat primer on the wood. I really dont want to make another trip to get the "tuff coat primer" any advice will be really nice!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help and advice- Rebuilding the floor in a aluminum boat

Hey kuck, welcome to the site!

I have some guesses on the Tuff Coat but can't say with authority since I haven't used it. So hopefully one of the other guys can jump in on that.

Yup, you'll definitely want to seal that wood, otherwise it'll rot out on ya. Most of the fellas around here use Epoxy to seal it up then either go with paint, carpet or vinyl. There are lots of variations though so do some homework to see what might work best for you.

Go ahead and click on the "Starcraft Rebuild" thread in my signature and start reading, tons and tons of great info in there. Starcrafts are built very similar to your Sea Nymph so just about everything applies.

Super awesome grandpa left you that boat, very cool it can stay in the family!

Post up some photos so we can check it out!:thumb:

Last edited:

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help and advice- Rebuilding the floor in a aluminum boat

Kuckster, see if there is a phone number you can call or website you can go to. Many times manufacturers will have FAQ section and you may be able to get your answer there. Like Jas said, most everybody seals their plywood with something. What ever you seal it with needs to be compatible with whatever you are topcoating with. If they require a specific primer make sure that will bond to whatever you are sealing with. Good luck, pictures are what help fuel the process!