Salt water corrosion

Wutupmayn

Recruit
Hi, I'm new here to the forum and hoping for some insight! Just bought my first aluminum boat and the previous owner had it in salt water often. The hull has some corrosion underneath; visual pitting in 30-40 spots and about 15 small holes have developed. (The largest being about 1/8" diameter.) My question is what is the best method of repair? The boat is riveted, and I thought, at first, that was the problem so I looked up rivet repair. I've since been told that welding plates over a large area is the best fix. Which sounds great, but means completely stripping the boat down and flipping over... (Very time consuming and expensive) My findings on the rivet repair gave me this idea (and I could DIY): blast the entire area with a wire wheel to clean and expose all problems, drill out all holes to 1/4", rivet each hole with epoxy coated rivets, epoxy seal the hull inside and out. Would the areas where light corrosion exists stop corroding if I seal it all? Thoughts?? Thanks!!!

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Salt water corrosion

fix is fiberglass with FLEXIBLE epoxy over thinned and holed areas - the aluminum MCU paint (google aluthane) to seal tiny rivet leaks and give the boat a brand new aluminum boat look. Optional enamel over the mcu if you don't want an aluminum colored boat.

Paul Oman - MS. MBA
A.K.A. “Professor E. Poxy”
Internet Epoxy Confederation (IEC) Homepage
epoxies since 1994
Member: NACE (National Assoc. of Corrosion Engineers) -- SSPC (Soc. of Protective Coatings)

Wutupmayn

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. Does the epoxy help the fiberglass flex? Someone told me fiberglass would crack cause its not flexible, so I threw the idea out. Is there a flexible additive for the fiberglass? And should I do that outside and in?

Wutupmayn

Recruit

Everywhere I've looked days fiberglass will not bond to aluminum. Not sure i can trust that fix. Is this a special type of fiberglass? Am I missing something here?

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the fiberglass is stiff because of the brittle epoxy - use a flexible epoxy paint/resin with the fiberglass cloth - you can prime the aluminum before (and after the fiberglass) with mcu Aluthane.

Paul Oman - MS. MBA
A.K.A. “Professor E. Poxy”
Internet Epoxy Confederation (IEC) Homepage
epoxies since 1994
Member: NACE (National Assoc. of Corrosion Engineers) -- SSPC (Soc. of Protective Coatings)

Wutupmayn

Recruit

Ah! I see now. I didn't realize resins came it different types of hardness. Thank you! This seems like a great idea to seal it up!