My 1990 Baretta Phaser 230 OB Project

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up this boat from a buddy at work for a steal. He and his father had purchased it as a project for themselves and sadly his father passed away part way through. The stringers, hull, transom and foam were all redone and since the ski locker was sighted as the culprit for the rot in the boat, it was removed. With the hard part done I started tearing into the motor after finding a couple of spark plugs that I didn't like, one detonated and the other gummed up with some nasty crud. I also found the freeze plug above the starter sitting on the starter. Well after tearing it down some the engine is not in good condition. I currently have some eyes out for another 5.7 short block that I can add my existing parts to.

The boat came with pretty much all of the parts, but not all put together. The interior has new vinyl that has been sewn and new foam that is cut, but it all needs to be installed to the plywood. There is a new shifter to replace the old style shifter and some new lights, cleats, amp, digital stereo, speakers and some front pedestal seats out of a Cobia (which I'm not too fond of). The exterior design in the paint was done in automotive paint, but it's not in bad shape, I did wash and wax it and may eventually strip and re-gel coat it. This is my project.

Here's the boat.

Last edited:

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: My 1989 Baretta Phaser 230 OB Project

The original engine was a GM 5.0, it was part of the AQ231A combo with the Volvo Penta Duo Prop DP-A out-drive. This is the 5.7 that is in it now.

Before tear down.

After some tear down.

Out-drive.

The top half of the glass was removed when the new stringers, deck and transom were installed. When they put the top back on it appears they used silicone behind the rub rail, I'm not sure if that is the right way to do it, I would probably have used some 3M 4400 or 5200. The glass work doesn't look bad, but I am concerned with the 1x2 they used at the hull seam, it is untreated and not glassed or resined. Should it at least have some resin on it? What about a rubberized undercoating? I do have concerns about sealing it as is because if the sealant at the rub rail was not breached it could rot from the outside in. I have considered installing something on the bottom side of that 1x2, mails or coffee straws, adding resin or rubberized undercoating and them removing the nails or straws to leave weep hole in case of water intrusion at the rub rails. Any ideas here?

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice

For those of you on facebook I found the shop that did the work to the stringers and deck and they have an album of the work. I was happy to see this, the deck looks good, but it was the not being able to see under it that slightly worried me. I feel pretty good about it now. I'll post up some of those pictures here at some point.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.154170421278868.30186.121826874513223&type=3

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice

I guess this boat is a 1990 and not an 89 like I was told. I found the hull numbers that confirmed it (it was on the damn title too, but I never looked), the trailer is an 89 Trailflex tandem.

ETA: I don't suppose I can edit the title of this thread can I?

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like you have a nice project going on. The non- treated 1x2 seems to be pretty common, not that its a good idea...but a lot of manufacturers use it for a backer for the screws. Sealing it up on the outside around the holes and seams sure wouldn't hurt any. Only the moderators can change the titles for you. I think there is a link under "quick links" to them. I would PM one and see if they can get it fixed for you.

jbcurt00

Staff member

You can change the title:

In the bottom right corner of your original post, left mouse click the Edit post button

When that window opens, in the bottom right corner of your post window there is now a Go Advanced button, left mouse click it

When that window opens, at the top left corner of your post window there should be 2 long white boxes

The upper most white box should be for thread title, and should have your current thread title listed. You can edit that box to read however you wish. The lower white box should be to change the title of just the post you are editing. You want to edit the thread title, not your post title, unless you change both..

Good luck w/ your project

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: My 1990 Baretta Phaser 230 OB Project

Thank you gentlemen, I have the title corrected now. So far it's been a fun project. I keep the boat down at my campsite on the Ohio River and work on it on the weekends until camping season is over, then it's off to my buddies barn to pull the engine.

Could I use a rubberized undercoating on the 1x2? It looks like that's what the shop used in the bilge over the glass. I wish they would have gel coated that and had the deck ready for gel, my buddy spent some cash on that part of the restoration.

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Here's a problem I knew I had, but had forgotten to take a picture of. I have a nasty split in the hull at the bunk line. I'm not positive the best way to make this repair to this area. Do I have to lay this up from both sides? Can I grind it down the thickness and taper it out 2-3 inches and lay up some bi-axial? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can't believe they put new stringers and a floor in this boat and poured foam with that split there.

Here are some other things I have been working on over the past 2-3 weekends. I don't have pictures, but I did run new hard lines for the brakes on the trailer and re-built the surge system on the front. I cleaned out all of the crap in my way, removed the dashes and gauges, stripped the name and hull numbers and prepped some of the interior glass panels for repair. I'm filling in all of the old holes and gel coating the pieces.

ETA: I also took the out-drive to my buddies and pulled the props. The shafts looked great, good grease and and everything turns smooth in all gears. I did find a small crack in the big prop, but my FIL works for a prop guy that is pretty darn good. Hopefully I can get some kind a of a break because normal is $175 per prop to rebuild and balance.

Last edited:

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice

I'm also having trouble with this area, it has the textured gel coat, but they had glued in carpet. I have tried soaking it in acetone, which helped some, but there is still a lot of glue and crud in the texture. Any ideas on the best way to clean that area?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You will need to do an inside/ouside repair on the split in the hull. No other way to do it right. 2 layers of CSM and a layer of 1708 on the inside, then 2 layers of CSM on the outside and some fairing and some gelcoat and she'll be good as new.

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response. I figured I would have to cut the floor up and remove some foam. On a split like that is 2" on either side of it tapered to the split enough?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the response. I figured I would have to cut the floor up and remove some foam. On a split like that is 2" on either side of it tapered to the split enough?

Nope, I'd recommend 3-4" It's below the waterline so you want to make sure it's strong. Tape the outside of the hull first and the resin will fill the gash flush from the inside. It'll make the outside much easier to do.

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Due to the rain this past weekend I didn't get much accomplished. I did my first fiber-glassing and gel coat repairs on my buddy's camper that we hit with a 4x4 post while cutting down an old tree house. Long story on that, but the repair is looking good, I just need to finish sand the second coat of gel next weekend.

I did grind and layup 4 screw holes that were in the bottom of my hull on the boat. The PO used the wrong screws when installing the seats of something and went on through in about six places. Four of those now have 3-4 layers of csm in them. Those repairs were all done on the topside, I just still can't believe they missed an 28" split in the hull. I have some pictures, but haven't downloaded them from the phone yet. Hopefully I can get some work done this weekend, may try to cut out the floor and foam and repair that split on the inside before winter hits.

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Just a small update so my thread doesn't hit the graveyard. I should know early next week if the property I made an offer on will be ours and if so I will have a nice heated and insulated 26 x 36 metal building to work on her. I put an offer on a short sale property of just under 1.5 acres and with 6 buildings on it totaling about 6300SF. All of the buildings are in great condition, but the house will need some interior cosmetic work along with a new furnace and removing wallpaper from every stinking room. I got a verbal acceptance on my offer and I'm waiting on the paperwork to finalize it next week. We should close before the end of next month if all goes as they are saying. I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

mybadford

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got the same boat minus the paint work. It's probably getting close to needing a floor in it. Messed up thing is the previous owner always had the boat under a dock roof or in a garage it's whole life. The boat only has 230 hours on it. I'm curious what it cost to have the boat split and have the stringers and floor replaced. I'm torn on whether just to sell the boat or have it fixed. Beyond a couple soft spots in the floor it's pretty much flawless.

jbcurt00

Staff member
MyBad: It's been 8months since Hoosier posted an update. Best to let it sink back into the archives until HS updates his Topic about his Baretta.

If you have questions about YOUR Baretta, start a Topic about your boat. You might even get more responses quicker.

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice
I've got the same boat minus the paint work. It's probably getting close to needing a floor in it. Messed up thing is the previous owner always had the boat under a dock roof or in a garage it's whole life. The boat only has 230 hours on it. I'm curious what it cost to have the boat split and have the stringers and floor replaced. I'm torn on whether just to sell the boat or have it fixed. Beyond a couple soft spots in the floor it's pretty much flawless.

It's been a while since I have been around, we bought a new place and that has kept me busy and away from my boat project. I asked the guy I bought it fromwhat the cost was to split the hull and rebuild the stringers and floors, $8,000. That was done by a shop in central IN. I'm guessing a person could do it on their own for a lot less.

Well it has been a long while and I had to get a new login. I am back and my boat fund got funded last week and this project is finally on!

I bought captains chairs Saturday and I ordered a 320HP 350 long block with a cam kit that should in sometime next week. I have a goal of hitting the water in 15 weeks. The first week of July is Regatta on the Ohio and I camp down there all summer, the Regatta runs in my front yard. I want the boat at least water ready by then, may not have the interior 100%. but I only need 1 chair! Stay tuned, I will be posting updates.