My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Cor, mine is an 87, but i couldn't stand the brown decals and went with the older blue ones like yours. Let me know if you have any issues with the top in, I did the carbs, fuel pump, and switch boxes on mine. Its pretty strait forward motor. One thing I did fight with is the rectifier. Its really kind of a dumb regulator. it kept smoking my battery, even with a new one on it. The stock charging is supposed to be hard on electronics, but I never had an issue with that. I bought one of these from CDI http://www.cdielectronics.com/blog/regulated-rectifier/ No more battery boiling after that.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Arch, Im planning on running mine today to ops check the water pump. I will check how much voltage Im getting out of it. Im really concerned at the moment, given the condition of the old impeller. I hope the tube to the power head and or pee tube are not plugged with carp. Should I get the tell tail stream when on muffs, engine running or not??? If all is good, I will start sanding and prep for paint. Not planning on taking it all the way bare...just really a good scuffing and fairing of nicks and scratches. Then shoot several coats of Gloss black.

Also, is it a bad idea to dress nicks and gouges in the prop? ( out of balance) Should you "sharpen" the leading edge?

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cor, I have a 1989 150HP Merc, V6. before I replaced the water pump on mine, the water would flow out the tell tail when I was on using the muffs and the engine was not running.....When I installed the new pump, the water would not flow out of the tell tail until the motor was running. Upon research with a Mercury mechanic, I was informed that it was normal to not get the flow after installing a new pump impeller without the engine running. The water pressure from your garden hose is actually pushing against the impeller and making a good seal. He also told me it was a good way to find out how bad the old impeller was. After a little "brainstorming" I realized it made a lot of sense. He also told me that for the few seconds it took for the water to flow after the engine started wouldn't make any difference. When the motor is running, it is forcing the water up into the motor. Hope this helped...just my own observation and experience. Dan

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Cor mine usually pees with muffs. I did change the pump impeller last year and it wouldn't pee. I took the hose loose at the block, poked a paper clip in it, and some trash came out. I'm guessing the older V6's maybe different? The rectifier uses the battery kind of like a heat sink......I don't totally understand it, but I didn't have problems till I got out on the lake and ran it for a while. Hopefully it won't be an issue for you. It took me about 4 trips to the lake to figure that one out :facepalm:.....driving the boat is a lot more fun that working on the motor, lol!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Dan/Arch, thanks for the feedback. Well I think all is good!! I hooked up the battery, fuel and the muffs..... no pee...started it up....3 very very long seconds, waaahoo its peeing!!!! ran it for about 5 minutes, shifts, fwd/rev, like it should!! What a relief!!!

then I soaked it down with Purple Power degreaser from TSC. Man that stuff works good. The a power wash.

Then it was time to sand and feather the nicks and scratches....I think Im pretty much done. Acetone bath tomorrow, tape and mask. If the weather plays , maybe some paint.

Thats it for today....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Cool that she runs Cor! :D Noting runs, smells or sounds like the TOP :D:D:D

One note, you need to use a self etching primer on the bare aluminum or the paint won't stick worth a flip. I think there are some rattle can versions available, but I use a two part DuPont version.

I just googled it and wallyworld carries duplicolor in a rattle can. you don't have to put it on real heavy, its typically green but pretty transparent.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Glad it worked out Cor....I would never second guess anything Arch said; I was just passing the info along from an "old" Mercury mechanic. He also said that it was kind of a good way to check the condition of the pump after a few years. As time goes by the impeller will wear, and when it starts peeing on the muffs and garden hose, it is a sign that the impeller is not sealing as well as it was. I don't know about your pump, but when I rebuilt mine and was installing the impeller, I kind of had to twist the impeller into the housing. My understanding from this old timer, was that was why there wasn't enough hose pressure to force water past the impeller, the pressure was actually pushing the impeller vanes against the housing. If you stop and think about it for a minute, it has to have a good seal, because it actually is "sucking" the water into the pump and then forcing it up into the motor. Anyway....you are doing a great job...and I am also enjoying Arch's Fuggly rebuild, I keep learning something new every time I read the threads.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hey Dan, your motor is a different block, so what the guy told you maybe true. The TOPs are a lot different than the 6 you have. The cool thing about the forum is learning from each others experiences........saves a lot of brain damage :eek:

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes Arch, you are correct. The powerhead is different, however the lower unit where the pump is located is almost identical. Unlike an automotive engine that utilizes the water pump to "assist" with the flow of water through the block because the system is a closed system; the Mercury outboard's pump has to actually suck the water out of the lake/river/ocean and then force it up into the powerhead. The tighter the vains of the impeller are against the pump housing...the better the suction. And you are right about the forum saving brain damage and Cor, I am sorry I hijacked the thread. :D

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes Arch, you are correct. The powerhead is different, however the lower unit where the pump is located is almost identical. Unlike an automotive engine that utilizes the water pump to "assist" with the flow of water through the block because the system is a closed system; the Mercury outboard's pump has to actually suck the water out of the lake/river/ocean and then force it up into the powerhead. The tighter the vains of the impeller are against the pump housing...the better the suction. And you are right about the forum saving brain damage and Cor, I am sorry I hijacked the thread. :D

No worries....Its all about learning right!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
here is a mid day update....after lighty dusting the bare aluminum with self etching primer, shot the first coat of gloss black!!! 50/50 mix of paint and straight acetone (70 deg here today) + a teaspoon of hardener.

Not sure why there is so much orange peel in the middle strip....it gets covered by the sticker anyway.....the rest came out great I think.

Time for a beverage while the paint kicks....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice work Cor! Seeing the tower all nice and shiny is always a great feeling! She will be a head turner, especially with the TOP on her.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Round 2....sanded with 320 grit, acetone bath and shoot....

Thats it for today...

Last edited:

zool

Captain
Looks most excellent!...That lower unit glows now....good job!