My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks all...I think the blue stitch is going to drive me insane....its gotta go!! Think I have a plan to salvage the pleats!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just take em out and restitch with white maybe ... How about cutting some strips of mahogany stain them and replace the aluminum with it ..
Just throwing things out there ...

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just take em out and restitch with white maybe ... How about cutting some strips of mahogany stain them and replace the aluminum with it ..
Just throwing things out there ...

Sam, no strips of wood this time....but here is the repair. I cut the pleats down 2 inches, sewed on the blue flap and then re centered it. I am very happy with it now!!!

I tried to figure out how to re-create the racing strip on the dash panel.....originally, it was a decal on smooth vinyl. Due to the textured stuff im using, that wont work.

The colors are backwards on the practice piece, but you get the theory... what im not sure of is the height difference....dont know if it will matter....

Thoughts???

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
Two thoughts - first, I really like it - looks great.

Second thought, the textured surface will be an absolute pig to clean - when it sits, even under cover over winter, you'll end up with some dust in there that will get caught in all the groves. I'm sure it's nothing some water, elbow grease and compressed air can't fix.

Third thought - I still like it even knowing that.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Okay so after I looked at your practice piece for 5 minutes, and thinking I think the colors should be reversed:facepalm:, I re read your post and realized the real peace will be, I think the colors will look good. I think the height difference will not be to noticeable.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That looks a lot like the fabric I used for Miss Morgan, haven't had any cleaning issues with it. So you are replacing the sticker with the upholstery?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ohh yea ! Nice fix on the middle section ! Much better !
Now paint the aluminum white and you'll have what your shooting for with the stripe .... I think .... It will look like a piece of white piping !! :cool:
On the stripe .... from the middle piece it's gunna be white ,blue,white ,blue correct ? 3 white stripes ... 2 small and one big in the middle ..
I see no problem with the height difference ... Those are channels for water run off ... :rolleyes: :D

tpenfield

Staff member
Your upholstery work continues to be outstanding. Ever thought of doing this as a side business?

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Okay so after I looked at your practice piece for 5 minutes, and thinking I think the colors should be reversed:facepalm:, I re read your post and realized the real peace will be, I think the colors will look good. I think the height difference will not be to noticeable.

Tnstratofam, the one below shows the colors the correct way....(exept the blue stitching in the white stripes, I was being lazy)

That looks a lot like the fabric I used for Miss Morgan, haven't had any cleaning issues with it. So you are replacing the sticker with the upholstery?

Arch, yea because I dont think a decal/sticker would work on the textured vinyl...

Your upholstery work continues to be outstanding. Ever thought of doing this as a side business?

Tpenfield, Thanks...kinda of kicking the idea around...not really a business per say, but maybe a source of extra cash to help support my vintage boat affliction.....

Thanks all for the feedback, the height difference started bugging me, so I tried a different method on a different piece... disregard the blue stitching in the white...it was getting late and I didn?t feel like messing around changing the thread each time. I used a "luggage stitch" I don?t know if that?s the real name or not but it allowed for the stripes to all be at the same level. I like this better I think....there is one more method I will try and then go from there.....

Hope you ll have a great day!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Luggage stitch ... Gotta put that one in the memory bank ! Are you making 2 top stitches on the small stripes ? One for each fold underneath ?
maybe spread them out for 2 single stitches closer to the seam .. I think you need a second machine so ya don't have to keep changing thread .. :lol:
I like it !!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Tnstratofam, the one below shows the colors the correct way....(exept the blue stitching in the white stripes, I was being lazy)

Arch, yea because I dont think a decal/sticker would work on the textured vinyl...

Tpenfield, Thanks...kinda of kicking the idea around...not really a business per say, but maybe a source of extra cash to help support my vintage boat affliction.....

Thanks all for the feedback, the height difference started bugging me, so I tried a different method on a different piece... disregard the blue stitching in the white...it was getting late and I didn’t feel like messing around changing the thread each time. I used a "luggage stitch" I don’t know if that’s the real name or not but it allowed for the stripes to all be at the same level. I like this better I think....there is one more method I will try and then go from there.....

Hope you ll have a great day!!
Corjen,
You have skills! That have made you able to take that boat back to you. Your work is so very awesome. I lurk and gather but just to say..."My hats off to you!"
Nice work.
KC

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So I started demo'ing the old dash panels, a couple strange things I figured I would ask about/pass along.....

First, there was no mechanical connection between the top plat and side.....the only thing holding it together was the vinyl. No staples or anything...no rusted dust from staples either.

Second, Any idea why there would be cardboard sandwiched between the seams?

A couple shots of the new wood...

My clamp collection is very poor compared to Nurseman.....

Have a great day All.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
cardboard is typical. It's used to reinforce the vinyl to prevent staple tear-out. I use the fiberglass reinforcement straps that come on large cardboard boxes. When ever I go to Lowe's I ask em for scraps of it and they ALWAYS have some for me.:D Works great and doesn't get wet and rot. This is also a technique used to ensure a crisp, straight outer edge like you have there on your plywood edge.

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Corjen, you are kicking butt with that upholstery!!! :hail: :rockon: Those 90 degree corner clamps are pretty handy!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks WoG, makes perfect sense.

Nurseman, appreciate the vote!!

Since it was 70 here today, I got to play in the garage.... for kicks, I roll the ToP around the back of the boat just to ge a reference.....Yes, there were motor boat sounds being made.....

Was nice to have the doors open!!!

Well, got one of these finished today....

More on next post....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This one was the easy one...., the Right side has the stripe....will start sewing that up tonight.....Have a great night all!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Man she's sure gunna be a sweet looking boat ! And having most of the upholstery already done it should go together pretty quick after paint ...
Outstanding stuff as always !! ;)