My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Would my old Singer 1915 sew the pleats Woody ? Pretty wide stitch length just not a w/f ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Would my old Singer 1915 sew the pleats Woody ? Pretty wide stitch length just not a w/f ...
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you have a 31-15 (not a 19-15) industrial machine.
142143d1298937600-attachment-142138.jpe

The feed dogs on it will do a much better job of feeding the vinyl, it has a higher presser foot and I believe it has a 4 stitch per inch sewing length. It will take up to a size 23 needle and can use the heavier #92 thread soooo you shouldn't have any problem sewing pleats with scrim foam on this machine. Didja get her all smoothed out and working like she should?? Sorry for the HiJack Cordell!!!!;)

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
My mistake it is a 31-15 .. Might have been made in 1915 .. :lol: Unfortunately I have not had the chance to mess with it .. Been a bit busy lately . :joyous:
But it is on the things to do list for sure ...Hijack over sorry Cordell !!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you have a 31-15 (not a 19-15) industrial machine.
142143d1298937600-attachment-142138.jpe

The feed dogs on it will do a much better job of feeding the vinyl, it has a higher presser foot and I believe it has a 4 stitch per inch sewing length. It will take up to a size 23 needle and can use the heavier #92 thread soooo you shouldn't have any problem sewing pleats with scrim foam on this machine. Didja get her all smoothed out and working like she should?? Sorry for the HiJack Cordell!!!!;)

My mistake it is a 31-15 .. Might have been made in 1915 .. :lol: Unfortunately I have not had the chance to mess with it .. Been a bit busy lately . :joyous:
But it is on the things to do list for sure ...Hijack over sorry Cordell !!

Gents, no apologies needed, its all goodness....I think we are all here to share and learn....that€'s what I get out of this and the other threads!!! And friendship! So far I'™m having decent luck on the pleats with my 1953 Morse. More on next post, but if yours has the characteristics WoG is talking about...don'™t know why it wouldn'™t work. But I am far from being able to comment on what works and what doesn'™t... and I haven'™t stayed at a holiday inn in a very long time!!

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Dont know what up with the weird spelling in that post, it wont even edit....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok so I started playing with some "real" pleats like in the earlier link....followed it step by step. That guy is WAY more experienced than I, so take this for what its worth.... First, I couldnt find any 1/4 or 1/2 in scrim foam locally, and I wanted 1/4 thick on the 2 side pieces, so I got some headliner material (a little over 1/8th) cut it to length and l spray adhesive it together to get the 1/4 inch.

He wanted 1.5 wide pleats, and used 2.25 wide lay outs.... I wanted 1 inch pleats, and I used 1.5 for the lay out....my pleates are running 7/8ths wide. I think I should have used 1.75 for the lay out. (he is absolutely correct, these eats a ton of material) I laied out 42 inches worth thinking I would get 28, im going to be short....

On the next one I make, I am going to skip the initial top stitch on the vinyl, it seems redundant and difficute to match the same stitch line when attaching the foam. Also, I am going to just lay out the 1.75 on the foam. reason for this is that as you move foam pleat to pleat, the shrinkage of the foam makes it very difficult to match the lay out lines and the initial vinyl top stitch. On the one shown here, I stopped trying to match and just redrew the next stitch line. For me, it worked much better.

If this makes no sense, let me know, Ill try to explain differently...

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Arch....BOOMER SOONER brother!!!!!

Since the boys were so handily taking care of the chicken hawks today, I was able to work on real pleats and a "for real" panel......then I decided to just keep going!!

The pleats in post # 606, got filed in the round bin...was just not happy with them, they seemed too thick for a side panel and the pleats were to narrow. So I started over... using 1.75 in for the lay out this time and only 1/8th inch scrim backed foam (headliner material) Otherwise same process...

Over all pretty happy with them...there were a couple pleats that were not uniform, but all in all satisfied with them.

So this next step was a bit nerve racking....I needed to trim off the excess of "bulb" that is created, in order to attach the piping. I told Beans (my middle boy), this is why your teachers give you crap about cutting straight lines......

Next was piping and the blue material...I really like this material, the way it changes tone with difference in light...

Next was to finish the backer wood....cut the notches for piping and material stack up relief, water proof/seal and T nuts.

More on the post.....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks top notch to me ! Was that with the initial first top stitch on the pleats ?

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
After that I put the padding for the upper portion on... (1/4 in thick)

When wrapping the cover around the wood, it was necessary to cut out some of the piping cord, it would have been way to thick to staple and form properly.

Beginning of the wrap...

Finished wrapping...as you can see, there is still quite a bit of material bunched up around the corners...I need to figure out a different way on this.

More on next post....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK....drums please....

I have to say I am extremely happy with the way this came out....I must inset a huge amount of gratitude to WoG, he lets me bug him all the time with questions.....I fear he might change his # soon!!! :jaw:

For reference, this piece is the piece shown here, behind the throttle quadrant.

I know this stuff may be boring to some, but Im trying to document everthing it takes me to get "Nauti-Thoughts" back in the water...Have a good night all....

pckeen

Commander
That's fabulous. Looks great. Sure you don't want to just put the original panelling back on?:lol:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Awesome job! I upholstered high end furniture for a few years when I was younger, and one of my least favorite things to work with was pleats. Keeping them uniform and straight takes patience, and skill. I sir think you are doing a wonderful job, and your documentation will be invaluable to those who attempt such fine sewing in the future. Keep it up sir. Fine work indeed.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It never ceases to amaze me how people that do such amazing work and then want to give a loud mouth, know it all Dumb Old Okie credit!!!! Cordell has proven he's a skillful craftsman and a man of many talents. All I am is a Cheerleader! (Oh, that's not a pretty picture!!!!)

comical_crazy_daffy_dallas_cowboy_cheerleader_nfl_team_fan-1-200x250.jpeg

Last edited:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Wow cor that looks great. and keep posting even the little things I for 1 like a thread that covers all aspects of boat rebuilding in 1 place A1

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Looks awesome! I really like that blue fabric, kind of looks like what I used on Miss Morgans seat inserts.