My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How many yards of each are you thinking?? I know I am thinking WAY ahead for my fishing boat (and by fishing boat I mean expensive platform for getting fishing line wet), but I am trying to plan as much as possible. (and by plan ahead I mean make an idea of what I will do until the above corrects me...)

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How many yards of each are you thinking?? I know I am thinking WAY ahead for my fishing boat (and by fishing boat I mean expensive platform for getting fishing line wet), but I am trying to plan as much as possible. (and by plan ahead I mean make an idea of what I will do until the above corrects me...)

I am thinking 5 yds of the blue and 3 or 4 of the pleated......there is absolutely no calculation to these #'s other that both times ive made a chair, it used a bit less than a yard. I have been making my own piping, so that eats up some material. there were no seats in the boat, so I am having to guess from pix that Ive collected from other peoples projects/boats. Also the bow seating seats and back pads are very long....4 feet...So I dont know for sure if the #'s are enough or not.

Thanks for asking, but sorry Im not much help....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
One done..One more to go......tomorrow I will stretch them over some wood to see how they really look...so far, pretty happy with them.

Have a good day!!!! BOOMER SOONER!!

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Corjen !!! Looking good, can't wait to see the finished product !
I won't have much upholstery work in my boat but I am looking forward to that part.
When I was at school and working in the scene shop we did some upholstery work, but nothing water resistant. Mainly chairs and headboards.
I have a some pic's of one of the headboards that I was really proud of. Don't want to hijack your thread, but if anyone wants to see it I can send them to you.
Have fun and take care- Troy

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
One done..One more to go......tomorrow I will stretch them over some wood to see how they really look...so far, pretty happy with them.

Have a good day!!!! BOOMER SOONER!!

Looks great should form up nicely with the foam installed !
Btw , not having a good day ... Having a GREAT day !!!! GO GATORS !!!!
And a complementary BOOMER SOONER !! from down south to ya ...... :)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice looking work on the seats. I still think I am going to let someone else do mine, by that point in the project I think I have too much brain damage to try something new, lol! Boomer Sooner, finally a W!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Some more practice today......and built the bottoms, arm rests and tried to cover them ......love the idea, not so much the product....a friend of mine said, this is the first rodeo, bound to get bucked off... I agree!!! More practice is needed!!!!

More next post..

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dont feel obliged to comment nice things....I know it looks like crap.....but like anything else, more practice and more time, it will be great!!!!

Hope you have a short week!!!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not bad for first time! Appreciate you showing the whole process, rather than just the finished product. I'm gonna go ahead and give ya a :thumb:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks NM.....I do have to say it was nice to smell saw dust today instead of poly resin....!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It doesn't look that bad . Try putting multi layers of 1/2" bunting around the wood to help stretch and fill .
Your gunna get better with every new stitch !

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks guys for the encouragement!! Question for you....after fabbing your seat bases, did you CSM them or use the various forms of water repellant/sealant on the wood?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I went with the epoxy because its hard to get stapes through the poly / cms. How did you manage that sphelps (sorry about the thread hijacking :D )

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well on the seats I made slip cover style with Velcro so no staples there . The base was painted . But your right about stapling through the csm . Where I had to fasten the rear jump seats I just used very small ss screws . I folded some strips of plastic packaging bands around the edge then screwed through that ...
Some old okie guy wisdom I picked up along the way ...;)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Wow Big C,
Hope the region of your Cagina is healing well...:rolleyes:
Boy I hope I spelled that right...:bolt:
I have been lurking along in the background and seeing all the good stuff happening around these parts...
Kudos, Bro!
Everything is looking good and coming together nicely...
Really appreciate you sharing the learning curve of upholstery work...
Sure ain't easy, but the more you practice, the better it gets!
At least that's what she said...:whistle:
:D