My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Top is filled, fared and ready for primer....figured I better fix this before I get to carried away....

Cut out the plywood backer, used it for a template and got one layer of csm one it.....

Going to fill all the holes except the steering wheel holes.... figured I would use csm/1708 cut to size in order to fill the holes.

Have a good rest of your weekend!!

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So, the top is ready for primer, except the cockpit gauge cluster and the splash well......

Both sides of this are done and its PB'd in....

PB was a little runnier than it should have been.....ran out of cabosil...so a made a kind of dam with speed tape.

If some one reads this in the future, PAY attention here....when I made my transom, I thought, a little thicker wont hurt.... I am adding a bit more HP than it originally had.... so whats the harm......the harm is stuff doesnt fit back together when you change dimensions!! this could have been solved in a few different ways.... sand down the interference spot, re do the transom..I elected to cut the splash well out, and adjust it to fit.....in order to do this, forced me into re-mating the top and hull so I can do the necessary adjustments and re-glass it in....Soooooo thats what I did today....Oh by the way, a 1 ton chain fall from harbor freight, will be some of the best 50 dollars you can spend.....no more begging 4 or 5 young guys to come over and drink your beer in order, then tricking them into picking up heavy stuff.....

OK, I did still need some help.....

All of this to get here....

More next post....

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, all said and done here is what I ended up with.....My top may have sat in the sun too long last summer, things have warped some....for the most part everything fit pretty good, but I have a few spots that there is a 1/4 to 1/2 gap between the hull and the top ( it sagged into it self, meaning the top spread inward on it self.. ( if the windshield was on, wouldnt be able to closr the center window))

Im not too worried, I was able to get things shooggled and pulled into place.......

Thats it.....back hurts and it time for a beverage and some football.... by the way, if you ever have the idea that it might be fun to jam a phillips apex bit into the meat between your thumb and index finger.......I HIGHLY recommend against it.... I almost passed out!!!! Night All, have a great week. BOOMER SOONER!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ya Know I was gunna Jam one of those into my palm today as a matter of fact but since you recommend NOT doing it, I guess I'll pass!!!!:D:eek: MAN, I bet that Hurt!!!! She's startin to look like a boat again, and a right purty one too I might add!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ya Know I was gunna Jam one of those into my palm today as a matter of fact but since you recommend NOT doing it, I guess I'll pass!!!!:D:eek: MAN, I bet that Hurt!!!! She's starting to look like a boat again, and a right purty one too I might add!!!

Mike, thanks!! Means a lot from you......!!

I know, no pix, not true.....if you look close, you can see the phillips head as it went in.... didnt come out he other side.... but close enough...!!! DAMMIT MAN!!! that was a bad plan.....

Moderators, if this is too graphic, pleas let me know..

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My professional advice as a nurse is to not do that again! Hopefully your tetanus is up to date? That does indeed look like it was uncomfortable. Hope you heal quickly!

Boat is looking great!

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I recommend taking care of it......that being said, a little lacquer thinner to wash it out, and duct tape a shop towel to it.....should be fine, :)

zool

Captain
Ouch! I hate puncture wounds.....but just think, if the ca p was gonna stay red, you'd have head start! :rolleyes:

Now you have blood, sweat, and tears in it!....the recipe for success..looks good!

SAT_Bob

Seaman
Dang! Glad I read this before jamming the Phillips into my hand. ;)
Great job on the boat!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Using drills and screw guns almost every day for the last 30 years i've had many encounters with the pointed end of them .. But I dont think I ever hit that spot .. Man that looks painful ! :eek:
Boat looks great !

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't do that, :eek::faint2: I know it hurts.Do you still have feelings in your index and thumb?

Did that as a teenager. You could then pick up hot items like a spark plug that been in a runninig engine without feeling the pain. The smell of roasting fingers. Third degree burn with no feeling it. Took two years before sensation came back to them.

Take your time and be more careful. Thats why we have bench vises, C-clamps, and vise grips.

Hope you feel better.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I hit the same spot when a 1/4" drill bit broke. The broken end went through my leather glove and drilled a perfectly round 1/4" hole into my left hand...ouch. Stuff like that happens fast!

Good job on the project so far! And I see you recruited a helper who's too young to drink your beer supplies.......good call :rolleyes::D.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got a bit done today.... ground and fit the splash well that had to be cut out due to extra thickness on the transom.

PB the cockpit gauge holes, and

More on next post...

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Had to rebuild the cradle....I mis-calculated the weight of the top and completed hull together.....the supports were starting to yeild.

Much better!!!!

Have a great weekend!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice work, that new craddel looks pretty slick! Your going to be ready to get her wet pretty soon!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
WoG/Arch, thanks for the words of encouragement...plan for today is fair the cockpit dash and 1708/fair the seam on the splash well....would like to be ready for shoot primer next weekend. Also a bit if sewing on my practice chair for Momma!! Have a a good day.