My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been reading your thread here and there and finally caught up to ya ! Wonderful job so far on a really cool boat . I've always loved the style of the Glastrons.
Like to tag along if there's room ..
I used treated lumber for mine with contact cement . I didn't have any staples so I used a bunch of small ss screws and washers I had laying around . No issues so far .. I did wrap the galvanized mounting brackets with poly tape as a isolator to help with corrosion .. That treated lumber might not be a good idea for your trailer if it's not galvanized .. IDK ..
So when you paint the hull ,are you going to shoot the red/blue color on the sides at the same time . Or wait till you put it back on the trailer ..
She's gunna look awesome !
Btw, I really miss your avitar ...

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Been reading your thread here and there and finally caught up to ya ! Wonderful job so far on a really cool boat . I've always loved the style of the Glastrons.
Like to tag along if there's room ..
I used treated lumber for mine with contact cement . I didn't have any staples so I used a bunch of small ss screws and washers I had laying around . No issues so far .. I did wrap the galvanized mounting brackets with poly tape as a isolator to help with corrosion .. That treated lumber might not be a good idea for your trailer if it's not galvanized .. IDK ..
So when you paint the hull ,are you going to shoot the red/blue color on the sides at the same time . Or wait till you put it back on the trailer ..
She's gunna look awesome !
Btw, I really miss your avitar ...

Sphelps, by all means, glad to have you along for the ride!! I very much appreciate your help on the Ouachita boat. The plan is to shoot them at the same time.....kinda. After using the rustoleum on the trailer, I am very impressed with the paint, (also very impressed with price) Ive decided to use it for the rest of the boat. today after the trailer set in the sun for a day (94 deg yesterday) I went out and hit the backside of the axle with a ball peen hammer......Just wanted to see/check hardness. (since I messed up the hardener ratio) nothing, not even a dent....

Back to the question, the plan (with WoG guidance) is to wait the 24 hours between colors. Shoot the blue and pull the tape after about an hour after application. I dont want the tape to peel anything up and my hope is that the paint line will subside a bit as the paint settles in.....

I miss the avitar also...was politely asked to remove it by a moderator.....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Christmas in September!!! Gotta Love It!!!! Ho Ho Ho!!!!!
images

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
2 steps forward, one back.....got the white shot on the hull today....bottom, right and transom look great!!

now the step back.....

The pix is kinda of hard to see, but I have these strange lines all over the side, along with several spots of fish eyes. What is troubling is its appears like surface contamination, but this side got the same acetone bath prior to shooting just like the rest of the hull. All I can guess is i picked something up on the rag, but I dont know. Ill be stalled out on painting for a couple days while I wait for it to completely dry and sand again.....

I did get the trailer swag installed today also....tomorrow I will be rebuilding the bunks.

Have a great weekend!!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You should be able to sand that down Sunday early afternoon. Buy some xylene to clean the suface this time. Then two coats of primer.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Is that the Tractor enamel with hardener ? Should be dry enough to sand pretty quick ..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I haven't tried xylene or acetone before paint but lacquer thinner will leave an oil believe it or not. We always used acrylic enamel reducer and never had any issues, sounds like xylene works too. That almost looks like some stress cracks telegraphing through. I'm wondiering if that occured when you put the primer on, but you didn't notice till you got something shinny on it. Regardless, sand, clean prime and repaint should take care of it. Looking great! Getting the paint on it makes all that grinding and sanding worth it!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks all, you know me....I love turning dollars in to colored dust on the floor!!! Oh well, I guess.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Quick update while Im waiting for second coat of primer to dry....

decided the completely wrap the spear head in blue.....

Plan for the rest of the day is to get the first coat of blue on the transom and left side....tomorrow get the white on blue on the other side. More later....