My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Arch, me too....I figure the GT will be a trailer queen, she ought to have a nice perch to sit on......Also when I see a nice trailer at the ramp parking, I wonder what nice boat sits on that.....Maybe Im weird. Not as weird as OSU fans, but weird I guess.

I think im going to poke around at the bone yard and see if I can fine some deacent wheels to use as well.....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here we are with some primer.....in a few more hours I should be able to wet sand and shoot the white on it.....

More later......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looking good! BOMMER!

The White is on....Pretty happy with it for the most part.....Couple fish eyes and a couple runs......Now it time to settle in and watch some football!!!!!!!!

BOOMER SOONER !!!!!!!!

Dammit Man, my garage is a pig stye.....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm,is that the Purple People Eater gun or What???? Tip Size??? Mixture??? Details Man, Details!!!:D:eek: I'm a Dumb Okie, I'm tryin to Learn Sumthun!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
looks good! They must have used a fine media on it, the metal looks pretty smooth.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Uhmmm,is that the Purple People Eater gun or What???? Tip Size??? Mixture??? Details Man, Details!!!:D:eek: I'm a Dumb Okie, I'm tryin to Learn Sumthun!!!

WOG, you are not fooling anyone.......but I get the point.....
Both the primer and paint are rustoleum. Primer is the rusty metal primer. I mixed them per some old OKIE's recipe, 16 oz primer, 5 oz acetone. Paint = 16 oz paint, 5 oz acetone and 5 oz of hardener from tractor supply. I shot them out of the gun I got from TCP... when I got the gun, it comes with a 1.4 tip. I got the 1.8 tip kit. I shot both with the 1.8 tip. ( I love this gun)

http://www.tcpglobal.com/TCP-G6600-14_2.html?sc=120&category=2665055#.VAJty2P1auk

http://www.tcpglobal.com/TCP-P6600-18.html#.VAJue2P1auk

looks good! They must have used a fine media on it, the metal looks pretty smooth.
Arch, Im not sure what they used, but the residue I found was a very very fine sand. I did not have to do any filling or additional sanding..... after the primer was on, and dry, I dry sanded with .000 steal wool, then shot with the paint....the primer sanded like the nason sort of.....

BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well It oughta be Hard as Nails You only use 2 oz of hardener per Quart (32 oz) of Paint!!!!!:eek: If you used 5oz of hardener in 16 oz (2 cups of Paint) WOW!!!!! I'm really not sure what that'll do!!! It might chemically mess things up. I'm actually not sure!!! I may be ok and then again... I just dont' know. You should have used only 1 oz per 16 oz of paint. Not sure where you got the 5 oz number??? I checked the formula in my link and it says 1 oz per 2 cups of paint and 2 oz per quart sooooo.... Jayhawker got carried away I guess!!!!:bowl::crazy::sad::jaw:

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well It oughta be Hard as Nails You only use 2 oz of hardener per Quart (32 oz) of Paint!!!!!:eek: If you used 5oz of hardener in 16 oz (2 cups of Paint) WOW!!!!! I'm really not sure what that'll do!!! It might chemically mess things up. I'm actually not sure!!! I may be ok and then again... I just dont' know. You should have used only 1 oz per 16 oz of paint. Not sure where you got the 5 oz number??? I checked the formula in my link and it says 1 oz per 2 cups of paint and 2 oz per quart sooooo.... Jayhawker got carried away I guess!!!!:bowl::crazy::sad::jaw:

CRAP!!!!!! I must be slow.......misunderstood the instructions.I bet it is hard as h-e double hockey sticks!!! OR, I get to wear out another DA sander.....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
5 bolt, havent measured, but looks like small bolt Chevy pattern....yes, let it cook, maybe no 30 mins, let it sit for a bit....15-20 mn

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All back together, now its time to order the bow/keel rollers and rebuild bunks.....

So, let me run this by you guys......Im thinking of switching course.... the plan was to get the hull completely painted and set it on the trailer for the winter. I think I may for go the completed paint part and set it on the trailer once I have the bunks redone. I guess, the thought is why risk final paint, when I still have at least two more flips, and top cap final adjustment before its nailed together. Im thinking now....after all that and the top is ready for final paint, then shoot them both....

Pro's/con's???

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
So, let me run this by you guys......Im thinking of switching course.... the plan was to get the hull completely painted and set it on the trailer for the winter. I think I may for go the completed paint part and set it on the trailer once I have the bunks redone. I guess, the thought is why risk final paint, when I still have at least two more flips, and top cap final adjustment before its nailed together. Im thinking now....after all that and the top is ready for final paint, then shoot them both....

Pro's/con's???

You lost me!!!

What is it you want to do??

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice work on the trailer. I am also not sure I am understanding what you are saying. So you are thinking of NOT finishing the painting until you have everything done, and then giving everything the final coat at the same time? I would think that doing the final paint all at once will be a tricky deal. What will you set it on? Will you hang it from something? I don't see that working very well. However, it would reduce the potential for bunging up the new finish...Just need to figure out a way to be able to get at all sides at once.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I'm missing it too, why would you need to flip the boat twice after it is painted? I did the bottom, then flipped it over and did the top.....put it back on the trailer and fitted the interior and rigged the motor.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry that was confusing...Question was should I paint the hull now or wait? But after further consideration, I am going to paint the hull now....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When you guys have rebuilt bunks, did you use treated lumber? I seem to remember something about the glus not sticking.... Can you just use staples for the carpet?