My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree, carb rebuild is on the books for this fall. I have been running seafoam, well see if it helps. Been pondering a spot that is handy for a fuel shut off valve as well. Thanks all for the fed back

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I started reading your thread a couple weeks ago ,and didn't get a chance to get past the first couple pages. Well I just skipped to the end today. WOW.:hail:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks JameO, hope the info helps.

I have to admit, I am starting to come off the high of splash and 2 years of work. Feeling a bit bored, and antsy. I will admit that I have started looking at wrecked boats, looking for a good deal. Also on the hunt for a 64 Johnson Deluxe. DO not tell my Boss, she will shoot me with a BAZOOKA!!! I think I may have developed a problem during this build!!! :eek:

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oh yeah it's helping , i just have to make a decision and go for it. I can't wait to feel that high. By the way id prefer the BAZOOKA!!!:argue:

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks All, the laughing, excited screams and smiles on their faces makes it all worth it.!! All in all, very happy with the outcome!!

So, a few runs under her and I have some questions for you...

Issue 1: cant seem to get the tack set right...on the the back, on the back of it it has a dip switch...the instructions say 6 cylinders = position 2 - in that position, tach say its idling at 2300 and will indicate 7000 RPM on the top end. which there is NO way thats correct. I tried the other positions just for grins...in the high positions, the idle seems appropriate... maybe a bit high, but immediately off throttle the needle pegs. Any suggestions??

Issue 2: the tank is in the bow....outlet is just a few inches higher than the engine inlet.....on the ramp, the tank tries to gravity feed to the motor, and it will start flooding the lower carb. Also, sitting out on the lake, engine off, just bobbing around with the waves, the motor will flood. short term is to unhook the fuel line from the motor...I would like to have a more long term solution...Again any suggestions?

Much appreciated..

The tach issue is a good one for the manufacturer if I recall with out looking back you bought new, and hopefully they are compatible.

The fuel problem sounds like a float in the carb issue.
Positive gravity is a good thing and shouldn't be able to get past a properly working float.
Good luck! Awsome boat!

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just my 2 cents on flooding. Worst case is you have a crack in that lower carb, but that is very unlikely. Only thing that will allow fuel to continue to flow into the fuel bowl is a poorly seating needle and seat. This can be caused by dirt or possibly a crack in the neoprene portion of the needle, if your needle has the neoprene at the tip. An improperly set float level can cause it, as well as a bent or misaligned float - rubbing against the sides of the bowl - sticking. High fuel pressure can force the needle off the seat, but I don't think this is your problem. Also, if the float is made of that fiber stuff, it may have become fuel saturated, also a small hole in a metal float will allow fuel to fill it and would also cause a similar problem. All in all, my suggestion would be to replace both needle and seat and the float, after a careful carb cleaning...As Woodonglass says, "Just my humble opinion." From years of building engines and drag racing, I can't begin to tell you how many "new" as well as "remanufactured" carbs that had improperly set floats right out of the box. Hope this all helps a little.

Dan

KingRhino

Cadet
Your restoration project is very impressive. I hope that I can do half as good of a job on my restore as you have done on yours. I am apprehensive about painting though as I have 0 experience. Have you had prior experience and what size / kind air compressor do you use?

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks KingR. I had shot a 62 dodge pick up with primer out of a wagner power sprayer once before this boat.:eek: With the help of the guys on here, youtube and the interweb, it came out pretty well.

here is my compressor:

Mark72/233 has some really good learning by fire paint info in his thread...

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...formula-w-twin-165hp-mercs/page21#post9943497

Woodonglass has some excellent pain info here as well:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...r-flamingo-splashed-w-pics/page16#post5172021

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey guys, just a quick update... the GT is doing great, had it on some big water this last weekend, It was a great weekend for camping in Oklahoma, 75-80 deg during the day, upper 50's at night!!

Arch...# 5 on the gauge worked great...I was able to get 48.3 mph @ 5100 rpm, out of it with the family on board. How do I know if this is the right prop? I read somewhere that at WOT, I should be around 5800revs.

Here is our weekend in 6 pix...

Again, thank you guys so much for all the help during this build!!

Last edited:

Mark72233

Ensign
Corjen, looking good. 48.3 pretty respectable also how about that game Saturday, I have never been a Sooner's fan until I started reading your blog and you have converted me, Boomer Sooner!! :whoo:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
BOOMER SOONER!

Looks like you guys had a great time! What pitch prop are you running? Have you tried to see what you can get in terms of RPM with only you in your boat? Depends on how you want to set it up, but you should be able to get 5500 or so out of her at WOT. I am running a 19 on Miss Morgan and get about 55 out of her (depending on fuel and the water conditions) at 5500. I have her dialed in with just me on board. You can set up WOT with the family in it, but you have to be careful not to over rev when you have a lighter load in the boat.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Corjen, boat looks sweet!!! Looks like a super good time camping!

I have never been a Sooner's fan until I started reading your blog and you have converted me, Boomer Sooner!! :whoo:

REALLY???? a Sooners fan???:nono: REALLY??? Why don't you just go drink some of that tin boat cool-aid while you're at it!!!!! :eek::eek: (just kidding!)

Mark72233

Ensign
I am really a Gators fan and have been since about 1984 but lately it's hard to be a Gator 😝😢😂

pckeen

Commander
Check the specs for the motor to make sure what the operating range is for RPMS - if you can go up to 5800, then at 5100 you are a tad low, but I'm not sure it will be worth switching the prop.

On my Yamaha F90, I was running a 17 pitch prop, which was running a little over 6000 RPMs at WOT (beyond operating range) - to the point that the RMP limiter kicked in and was slowing the motor to prevent damage. I put on a 19 pitch prop instead, and the RPM's at WOT dropped to 5300.

hillbillyr

Cadet
I have been reading boat rebuild threads on here and watching videos.
I read this thread, all 84 pages and the boat, build and work was impressive to say the least. The entire thread was entertaining and enjoyable to read

The fact you did everything yourself is extremely impressive and the quality of what you've done, many things for the first time, is inspiring and mind blowing

My hat off to sir , very nice work, design and execution!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
BOOMER SOONER!!!!

When I was living in Navarre FL, I got banned from a local watering hole for putting OU stickers on all of the gator stuff!!!! :eek: this was in the height of Tebow days.

Thanks for the info on the prop...Ill have to run it with just myself at WOT and see what she says. I dont know if its really worth the hassle for 500-700 rmp.

Hillbillyr, you must have been really board!!! Kidding, thanks for spending that kind of time on my thread. Hopefully it was helpful to you!!