What's the best way to paint the aluminum bottom?

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've searched the forum for info to paint the bottom of my 21' aluminum I/O deck boat. While there is a wealth of knowledge on painting aluminum, (Thanks Woodonglass, enjoyed your BF thread. All 71 pages.) I haven't seen much about the best way to paint the bottom of one on the trailer. The bottom is a mixture of good paint, flaky paint, no paint and poorly attempted rattle can cover ups. I have painted a 14' flat bottom that went well, but I could flip it over to get the best angle that I needed for my cheap ol' cup gun. I thought I would start with an orbital sander to get the surface ready. From there I'm not sure the best way to apply primer and paint overhead. As I've read in the forum before, Tracker does not share their paint codes. I'll match this "sand" color as best I can. This boat is trailered and not in the water more than 3 days, 99% of the time, it's a few hours. Ideas? Thanks, Cliff

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: What's the best way to paint the aluminum bottom?

Scoot it back on the trailer a foot or so. Give a good sanding and remove everything that's loose. Acid wash it with a 50/50 solution of White Vinegar and water. The wash her with hot soapy water and some baking soda to neutralize the acid. Wipe her down with some acetone then prime all Bare aluminum with a light coat of Self Etching primer. The rest is all here..."Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

Once it's dry, push her back forward and paint the parts that were not accessible the first go-round!!!

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Might want to be careful with acetone and alum. .. You may want to just wipe with windex.

The acetone might actually condensate water to the surface.

YD.

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess my main question is application. Can I spray overhead with a cup gun? Let me be clear, I am very unskilled at painting and need every advantage I can get. Scotchbrite be my friend. I will get some pics up when I can get the Photobucket thing worked out. Also, the humidity here is usually high, under 50% is rare, so condensation and cure out are issues. How do I compensate for that? Longer dry time? Different mix on the materials? I really admire your resourcefulness in achieving an great paint job at less cost WOG. I appreciate your sharing it. Thanks, Cliff

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

It might be a little hard to spray overhead for an extended period of time without a pressure pot system. Cheap systems can usually get a good result If you can dial them in.

As far as the humidity factoring into your mix or application .. I would contact the manufacture for data sheets.

Use the proper primer and of course protection :) .

YD.

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes to that respirator

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would prolly suggest the Roll n' Roll technique for painting on the trailer upside down. You can get spray like results using this method.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would prolly suggest the Roll n' Roll technique for painting on the trailer upside down. You can get spray like results using this method.

I would suggest that you can get Good results with a Roll and tip paint job. If you have exp with rolling and tipping then the result is satisfactory or even beyond expectation. Its up to your own abilities.

I would also suggest that you can get better results with a spray gun. Pros = you can put multiple layers of paint in one Long application time frame. Spray everything and walk away until its cured.

As an overall method of painting it has to do with your location and resources.

If you can spray Safely within a controlled environment then Do it .. If you are unsure about it then go for the roll and tip thing. I have seen some AwlGrip rolled and tipped just as sweet as a pro spray job. However that couple Knew what they were doing.

Do what you gotta do .. but make darn sure your prep and primer is Right Spot ON !

There is a sticky up there with a full blown out prep your Alum for paint if you desire to go that route.

YD.