1985 century cts rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

centurycts

Cadet
Hello all. I am new here ( first post ). Picked up this boat knowing that a total rebuild was needed. Engine is a 351 PCM. I want to thank all that have done this before me. Without your posts, I would never had attempted to do this. So far, I have separated the top from the bottom. Still waiting for some manpower to lift it off. Also, foam is out now. Here are some pics of before and now. Thank you all for taking the time to look and possibly answer the many questions that I will have in the future. Johncts3.JPGcts1.JPGcts4.JPGcts6.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1985 century cts rebuild

Man somebody sold you a boat w/ pink tinted seats:
attachment.php
:faint2:
Perhaps its just my monitor :rolleyes:

Welcome to the iboats dry dock

Nice looking possibilities you've got there........

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hello and welcome to the Iboats Dry Dock, Fiberglass Division, John...

I would be glad to tag along and offer a smidge of advice and guidance whenever possible...

Looks like a nice go fast boat and should be a ton of fun when completely restored...

Depending on how heavy the cap is, you could throw together some simple gantries and some rope and pulleys and just yank it off of there...

I did mine by myself and it weighed in the neighborhood of about 300-400 pounds...

Best of luck and even my monitor shows the interior to be a faded pink:eek:, so yeah, you are gonna have to reupholster...:rolleyes:...unless it is for the lady of the house...:D

Regards,
Gus

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Submitted without comment

attachment.php

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice pink boats fella's, but they are both really more of a PINK!
Not a pink.....

:watermelon:

Honestly, it's a boat. Being brought back from where ever it's been and got abused & neglected, to be rehab'd, used & enjoyed.

It can be puke green & I'd probably ride in it anyway :)

Sorry centuryCTS, apologies for my part in the above... :D

centurycts

Cadet

Nice pink boats fella's, but they are both really more of a PINK!
Not a pink.....

:watermelon:

Honestly, it's a boat. Being brought back from where ever it's been and got abused & neglected, to be rehab'd, used & enjoyed.

It can be puke green & I'd probably ride in it anyway :)

Sorry centuryCTS, apologies for my part in the above... :D

Ok....Ok,,, Its an ugly pink!!! I agree.
Really though, thank you all. I am supposed to have 6 friends coming over to help with the top on Sunday. Sounds like a couple of cases worth :)
Anyways, I will post more pics as I go. Thank you all again. John

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey John

This....
attachment.php

.....is just one of the coolest looking boats in dry dock. Please keep a heavy flow of pictures for us as you go.

Hope to assist in any way. Have fun and go slow.

Cheers
Chris

centurycts

Cadet

Hey John

This....
attachment.php

.....is just one of the coolest looking boats in dry dock. Please keep a heavy flow of pictures for us as you go.

Hope to assist in any way. Have fun and go slow.

Cheers
Chris

Thank you Chris. I can tell that everyone likes to have "fun" in this forum. A-Ok by me:joyous:
Found 1 more pic with some of the foam out.
Next is to get the top off and finish the rest of the foam. Question: when you look at the center of the bottom of the boat, there are squares spaced along the bottom that seem to be part of the hull. They are about 1/2" tall and covered in fiberglass. One has been damaged. I poked a screwdriver into it and there was moisture in there. Should I just let it dry out or should I cut it out??cts7.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

They likely won't dry substantially encased in glass.

Squares are likely dampening of some type:
attachment.php

Sound, vibration.....

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's something new to me. Looks like a rigidity thing for the engine area.

What ever they are for, they are down low in oil and fuel; I would be inclined to make it part of the restore; document, then replace them all, nice and new.

Last edited:

centurycts

Cadet

Thanks ch. I will cut one out and let you know the outcome of what I find...... John

centurycts

Cadet

Well, had a chance to cut into the sound dampener. Under 1/4" fiberglass there was another 1/4" piece of plywood. Yup, it was black and wet... not rotted though. Just black and wet. I Carefully cut the outside of the square and pried off the glass panel, then dug out the wood. Then I started to cut the old Stringers out. What a wet, slimy, mess. The wood has been stapled (brads) and nailed, then glassed over. The wood was mush. I noticed that the stringers were not "bedded" with anything. The old wood (in pieces) was not glued (bedded) with anything. Is this the norm for boat construction? I keep reading about how the stringers have to go down with a PL type glue first. Then when I remove the old stringer, there was no glue at all??? has me puzzled.
Thanks All....John

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

....The wood has been stapled (brads) and nailed, then glassed over. ..........I noticed that the stringers were not "bedded" with anything. The old wood (in pieces) was not glued (bedded) with anything. ...............when I remove the old stringer, there was no glue at all?........

Everything above there was exactly true and the same for my 1988 Glastron.

I am coming to the conclusion that the only properly built boats, are the ones documented here on iBoats.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This^^ is why there's so many restorations on the forum. If the manufacturers would take the time to do it right and find the workers that would take the time and have the sense of pride in their work to do it right, and then the owners would exercise good boat maintenance practices this forum wouldn't exist. Oh wait, I was having a DREAM!!!!! Yes ONLY iBoats knows how to build a boat correctly!!!!:D:lol:

centurycts

Cadet

update: got the cap off with the help of many. Thankyou all.
Pictures will tell the story thus far

DSCN5630.jpgDSCN5636.jpgDSCN5649.jpgDSCN5656.jpgDSCN5679.jpg

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great Progress in a short time John. You have time to get the stringers / transom in before the cold weather sets in.

Chris

centurycts

Cadet

Thanks Chris,
Need to take a couple of days off so that I can get the back feeling better! Did all in 3 hours. Still have more questions as to how to proceed from here. I will get back to you all soon.... Thanks to all.... John

centurycts

Cadet

This^^ is why there's so many restorations on the forum. If the manufacturers would take the time to do it right and find the workers that would take the time and have the sense of pride in their work to do it right, and then the owners would exercise good boat maintenance practices this forum wouldn't exist. Oh wait, I was having a DREAM!!!!! Yes ONLY iBoats knows how to build a boat correctly!!!!:D:lol:
very well said wood ! i just read your directions for stringer/deck rebuild....i just goofed.. i did not measure width of boat before cap removal...now what should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.