88 bass tracker 1600tf reshine

chris lell

Cadet
Hey guys, I had some questions on removing oxidation from my gel-coat. I have a 16ft 88 basstracker 1600tf with silver flake and it was garage kept for a few years till it was gave to my uncle. He didnt have a garage so it was under a cover. But when he got ill the last few years it was neglected and after his passing it was willed to me and in memory of him and my late granpa(original owner) I would like to make it shine like new. It has heavy oxidation on it(see video). I have meguiars #49 oxidation remover, meguiars #59 quick wax and 400, 800, and 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper. I tryed going 400-800-1000-#49-#59 and tho it seemed better it didn't make it shine like were the stickers were removed or new. So my question is how much can I sand away with the 400 to make it look new and not cause a problem. I plan on getting all new decals from a friend of mine that make car decals and tribal wraps so im not sure if they will line up with the old outline and i would like to have it back to the sparkling sheen : D. Thanks in advance, Chris.

This is a video I made to post over in the force section for help on the outboard. Needless the say the boaters of this forum helped me get her running and now its time for the cosmetics. If you look at the video around 1:15-1:25 you can see the oxidation.

oxidation - YouTube

Edit: If you want some pics instead of the vid(all i had at the time) let me know.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 88 bass tracker 1600tf reshine

Hey guys, I had some questions on removing oxidation from my gel-coat. I have a 16ft 88 basstracker 1600tf with silver flake and it was garage kept for a few years till it was gave to my uncle. He didnt have a garage so it was under a cover. But when he got ill the last few years it was neglected and after his passing it was willed to me and in memory of him and my late granpa(original owner) I would like to make it shine like new. It has heavy oxidation on it(see video). I have meguiars #49 oxidation remover, meguiars #59 quick wax and 400, 800, and 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper. I tryed going 400-800-1000-#49-#59 and tho it seemed better it didn't make it shine like were the stickers were removed or new. So my question is how much can I sand away with the 400 to make it look new and not cause a problem. I plan on getting all new decals from a friend of mine that make car decals and tribal wraps so im not sure if they will line up with the old outline and i would like to have it back to the sparkling sheen : D. Thanks in advance, Chris.

This is a video I made to post over in the force section for help on the outboard. Needless the say the boaters of this forum helped me get her running and now its time for the cosmetics. If you look at the video around 1:15-1:25 you can see the oxidation.

oxidation - YouTube

Edit: If you want some pics instead of the vid(all i had at the time) let me know.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Unfortunately, there's No cure for sun burnt metal flake gelcoat,...

Be Happy with what you've got, or sand the whole thing down, then prime, 'n Paint it,...