Opportunity to obtain a "free" '74 Trojan F-32 Express... BIIG Project

a1stone

Recruit
A guy in my town wants this boat GONE from his property, he said he would be willing to contribute to transport as well. I was hoping I could get some input from the people on this forum on the things I should keep my eyes open for on this project. I have a place to store the boat for however long the project takes, so that isn't a problem... I'm thinking more about the feasibility of bringing this boat back to being seaworthy and somewhat reliable. Here is some info:<br /><br />It's a mid 70's Trojan F-32 32' dual inboard boat that has been sitting in a junkyard for (I would guess) around 6 years uncovered. The hull has had some repair and appears to have been done professionally. The fiberglass looks to be in good shape and the bilge holds water *IN* so I would like to think it would also hold water *OUT*. One of the engines is gone, and the other one (Chrysler Gas Engine) is still in the boat but looks like it has seen better days. The exterior woodwork needs replacement (or maybe a year of oiling...) and the interior needs to be completely re-done. There is a head still onboard that looks to be functional with some help. It also appears that the floorboards over the engine compartment are missing and need to be fabricated. The helm has also been gutted and there is little to no wiring left.<br /><br />Although I am young (24 years old - been working for a year since college), I have been boating since I was a kid with my parents and I recently restored a Rhodes 19' sailboat (a very different beast). This is my first attempt at working with a power boat, though I have a lot of experience working on cars and with wood (I have a full woodworking shop at my disposal and a pretty extensive machine shop as well). I feel that the restoration process is well within my ability, my concern is what about the boat needs to be checked by a seasoned professional before I agree to take it. Hull spars? Current wiring?<br /><br />Any input would be great - I am very excited about the project, but nervous at the same time. I don't want to get myself into something I will regret. The bank account is most definitely finite so my plan is to put the time and energy into the woodwork and interior and wiring while saving for mechanical replacements.<br /><br />Thanks so much!<br /><br />- Aaron

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Opportunity to obtain a "free" '74 Trojan F-32 Express... BIIG Pro

Get started now and you might be ready to enjoy it by the time you retire... :p <br /><br />I would definately get a lot of opinions before getting into a project like that. Got a few pictures?<br /><br />Welcome to iboats! :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I got interested in an older larger boat when I was in my 20's. Could have had it for free. Even had a couple of good diesels in it. I woke up in the middle of the night with nightmares about the amount of work to get it back on the water. I subsequently passed on the deal.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

I realize that I'm twice your age and haven't even seen a picture of the boat in question but my first instinct would be to run very far and very fast in the opposite direction.<br />But should you decide to take it on, best of luck to you and certainly keep us posted.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

If you do it,time,time and more time!Oh,don't forget about money,money and more money!<br />If the boat is off the ground,see if the bottom is solid,check the stringers,balkheads and running gear.Fuel tanks most likly are a wash out,check to see how to remove them.Wire,marine wiring for a boat that size will cost you about $750,that is if the breaker box is good,add another $400 if not.<br />Know anything about fiberglass?If not,you will.Thru hull's,hoses,bilge pumps,switches,add another $1000.<br />What it comes down to is,Know what boat stands for? B reak O ut A nother T housand.<br />Good Luck,ya'll need it and the time.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

goinf by the siz eof the project and what you have described, i'd have to say NO, don't do it, unless you have heaps of money, love thje shape and have not real life....(including going out having a beer and picking up some hot young chicks :p )<br />seriously, i'd steer well clear of it. <br />also BOOM.....sounds like you were a ckicken with that one! :p <br /><br /> :) <br />cheers

Realgun

Commander

Gas is just going up and up a 32' with Two(2) engnes is going to use lotsa fuel. Unless you plan on living on the boat I say leave it at the junkyard.<br /><br />On the other hand who is under 30 with a very large boat?

a1stone

Recruit

Thanks for all of your input! I appreciate the concerns and you have definitely opened my eyes to some of the potential nightmares down the road :). I am not entirely convinced that I want to drop the idea yet... I'm going to go back today and take a ton of pictures and hopefully bring a friend that has worked in maintenance at a marina for 20 years so we can look into the "unseen".<br /><br />Long and short of it, I am WELL aware that there are very few people under 30 with large boats... I am definitely not in this to "have a large boat" this season or next, but to potentially finish it BY THE TIME I am 30 and have something I am really proud of to show for years of work. I wouldn't have considered anything of this size and project magnitude had the purchase price not been $0.<br /><br />I'm not jumping into anything without sleeping on it for a week or so and having a few people more knowledgeable than myself inspect it. I will definitely post some pictures later today.<br /><br />Correct me if I am wrong, but what I am hearing from you all is that I should run away if I'm not really dedicated to the project and if I don't understand what is really going to be necessary. I think I need a few more days and a few more looks at it before I can decide 100%.<br /><br />Thanks again, and I welcome any other opinions positive or negative - this is a difficult decision!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

If I were doing a restoration project I'd start with something a lot smaller and newer. Not only that, once it is done, can you afford to run it? I'm paying 3.35 a gallon at the local gas dock. Makes me glad I only have a single V-6 I/O! Finally, after all the $$$$ you have to pour into that, can you even get and insurance company to insure it, so if it suffered damage or was a total loss due to storm/sinking, you could get your investment back??<br />If you want to restore, start with something like a Whaler or Grady White, 80s vintage, that you can afford to use, insure, and also has good resale value. You DON'T want to wind up like the guy who is trying to give it to you a few years from now!

CATransplant

Admiral

By the time you finish such a project, you will have invested enough money to have purchased a similar boat that did not need all that work. That is almost a guarantee. <br /><br />That does not even address the time you will spend doing the work.<br /><br />I'd run away as fast as I could from this boat.

zzub

Seaman Apprentice

Trojans were known for the hull stringers rotting<br />& the decks are cored & usually rot, I have two friends that have F32 Trojan Sedan Fly Bridges both boats were spotless looking boats both had the above problems,another friend had a 36' double cabin same problems he put 16,000 into it and sold it a year later for a loss of about 20,000. your looking @ a ton of money to restore that boat! Engines & running gear alone,would be thousands of dollars :eek:

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Theres likely a pretty good reason this boat has gone to the wayside and sat idle for so long now. May it RIP! I agree with CA Trans. I to am looking to restore the right project but I would much sooner spend that 30K on a boat I could just enjoy without the stories.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Use that degree and savings account of yours and buy some/some more real estate. Put a little $ into that then sell it in 5 years. Make lots of $ and go buy NEW boat. :)

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bought an old 36 footer when I was your age, ok it was wood, but I had dreams, dumped thousands of dollars into it, and it ended up at the dump anyways. I had a 46 footer, more dreams, lived on it for a number of years, that too is in the dump now. If I saved all the money I dumped into those 2 old scows I could have had a house in my lifetime, or at least a nice glass liveaboard. I say don't do it. Nothing worse than spending countless hours and money, only to finder larger problems than you're capable of repairing. Go buy a little inflatable and have some fun checking out boats that are actually in the water. That's where you should be shopping for boats, not in the dump! :p

tengals123

luna well said, i can only assume you meant to say 'incapable' not capable??<br /><br /> :) <br /><br />cheers

a1stone

Recruit

Project abandoned. I decided it's not even worth the money to have it moved. You all made great points and I'm glad I posted that info here... Maybe I'll be back sometime soon with a smaller Grady White to restore :)<br /><br />Thanks again for all of your honest responses. Good luck on your projects - I'll check in now and again.<br /><br />- Aaron

tengals123

your more than welcome. Please do check in.<br /><br />cheers

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a nightmare.<br /><br />Trojan don't have a great reputation, but that's from the wood boat days. They tended to rot more oftend than others. My father looked at some Trojans when he was buying his Chris Craft Constellation. He chose the connie because the hull was double planked in mahogany.<br /><br />So I guess the short story is, I can't help you, but by the sounds of it, it will cheaper to buy a new boat. Can you really find new engines, new interior, and all of the miscellaneous parts, trims, fixtures that cheaply?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Course, you could be cheeky and sell it on ebay from the guy's yard...SOMEONE will be silly enough to pay for it-and pay to move it!

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Sign on the dotted line and walk away with a new boat and ten to fifteen years of payments. You will be able to enjoy that boat and when it is paid off you will have spent the same or maybe less than the restoration. Plus you will be able to enjoy those ten years on your boat instead of covered with resin under the deck