mounting trailer onto pontoon to create houseboat

smudgey

Cadet
does anyone know if anyone has the capabiliy to mount a 25' airstream travel trailer onto a pontoon, to create a houseboat?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: mounting trailer onto pontoon to create houseboat

Hi absorbine sr, welcome to iboats!!<br /><br />I don't know what an airstream travel trailer looks like but a houseboat is basically a caravan on toons. <br /><br />It's not that difficult. 2 toons, joined by a flooring subsructure with provisions for an outboard. What you end up with is a flat platform that floats.<br /><br />Aldo

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

The most important information you will need is the weight of the trailer. From there you need to decide what functions you want, each feature you add will increase weight. Now you need to find out how much water you will need to displace to float your palace. I don't know if any of the houseboat builders near Lake Cumberland will build just a hull, but if they do, take your weight estimates and they can build a hull to float it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Cool idea. Weight distribution on the pontoon would also be critical. Hitting a bow wave under way with a bow-heavy pontoon makes for an instant submarine. The Airstream floor plan will help you determine where all the weight is. You want the heaviest end at the rear of the pontoon. Some waterproofing work will definetly be necessry on the floor of the Airstream.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like an intriguing idea, but the fact that I've never heard of it being done makes me think it won't work.<br />I think the trailer might be too heavy for a couple or three pontoons.<br />The cost of building a platform to put the trailer on & trailer might cost more than a houseboat.<br />If you could find a boat builder to work with you- who knows. :cool:

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you don't want it to look like a mish mash junk mobile, you're going to have to spend some money. Aluminum welding doesn't tend to be very cheap and you're probably looking a lot of custom welding.<br /><br />I always thought airstream trailers looked like a giant silver hot dog. They do have a signature style, and if what I heard is right, they're kind of pricey. They have the same sort of nostalgic following that VW vans have.

ufm82

Are you kidding? Never heard of it being done? You haven't spent much time in the southern region of the US have you? I see lots of this exact thing on lakes all around here- Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. Some have been very nicely done and some are simply a trailer backed on to a platform and shoved off into the lake. I've seen some really "nice" rigs. LOL Nothing like a 26' Winnebago strapped to 3 pontoon logs with yellow cargo rope and some big bungees. (Don't laugh- it was on Norris Lake 2 years ago. Had a super nice Johnson 88 Special for power. it still had the tires on it! LOL) <br /><br /> If you do a nice job I see no reason not to go forward. I have seen some real "redneck houseboats" though. Don't let it happen to you. <br /><br />UFM82

ED21

I guess they haven't made it to the Chesapeake yet. <br />Blue Collar TV might be interested in a picture for their "Redneck Yard of the Week" segment. :)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

There is no reason why it would not work. The logical thing would be to remove the undercarriage and suspension, that is where the weight is. You are then left with a lightweight aluminum shell.You could run three logs and never have to worry, ever. I have seen some intriquing rigs up here. The campers that go in the back of pickups are pretty popular to do it with. I think you'll be fine. Good luck and post pics if you do it...

smudgey

Cadet

Originally posted by Ralph:<br /> ROFLMAO @ UFM82!
ralph,<br /><br />i can tell for sure that you are just the man to take on my project!!!! i want the wheels, suspension, undercarriage, to remain in-tact, so that i can roll it off and hook it back to my truck, to hit the open road!<br /><br />i'll pay you well!<br /><br />and oh, what a learning eperience for you!<br /><br />keep in touch!<br /><br />larry<br />spamfam@qx.net

smudgey

Cadet

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> There is no reason why it would not work. The logical thing would be to remove the undercarriage and suspension, that is where the weight is. You are then left with a lightweight aluminum shell.You could run three logs and never have to worry, ever. I have seen some intriquing rigs up here. The campers that go in the back of pickups are pretty popular to do it with. I think you'll be fine. Good luck and post pics if you do it...

smudgey

Cadet

jason j,<br /><br />i inadvertantly sent this message to wrong person. but again, you are the one to tackle my project!!! aren't you honored!!!! i want the tires, suspension, undercarriage, etc., left intact, so that i can roll trailer off platform and use it again on the road.<br /><br />even though it would ber very weighty as a pontoon, usually, it would be docked somewhere, just to use as a stationary houseboat.<br /><br />again i am serious that you are the one!!!<br /><br />i'll pay you well!<br /><br />look at all of the great experience, plus you could start a new booming conversion market business!!!!!!<br /><br />larry spamfam@qx.net

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Well, if you use enough floatation, you can float anything. What you are considering sounds like it would be daunting. It would have to be something that will keep the undercarriage out of the water. Sounds a bit out of my league. I'll stick with nasty old boats, but thanks for the vote of confidence... :)

Dunaruna

Admiral

How much does this airstream weigh?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Travel trailers are pretty well balanced as designed because they have to balance on the axle and tongue and not roll over at every turn in the road. The toons could be mounted forward or back to get the C.G. right. Airstreams are cool!