What about DOLPHINITE ACRYLIC LACQUER paint??

spidc60

Seaman Apprentice
I have one quart of this paint. I won it on Ebay. It says it is for marine use. I have an older boat that needs some repainting. I wanted to see how this brushes on on the bottom of the boat before going any farther. If it looked somewhat smooth, I would try the rest of the boat. It does not have to look professional, since this is just a play boat. What should I do first before using it? And is it any good for a fiberglass boat?<br /><br />Thanks

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: What about DOLPHINITE ACRYLIC LACQUER paint??

Try a Google search. You'll get lots of hits.

Omega-1

Seaman
Re: What about DOLPHINITE ACRYLIC LACQUER paint??

DavidInTexas,<br />Good question. The most important thing in painting, no matter what you are painting, is preparation of the surface to be painted. Since you have a fiberglass hull, to get a good paint job you will need to do the following:<br />1. Check the area you are going to paint for any loose paint, powery chalk from aging, gouges and deep scratches. If the surface is smooth, then take a 600 grit sandpaper and lightly sand all of the surface to be painted, repair any gouges or deep scratches with Marine Tex or other suitable repair material. Sand the repair till smooth once cured. Once this is done, wipe down the surface to be painted with a marine paint solvent compatible with your paint, or with acetone. Be sure to wear gloves, and do this in a well ventilated location away from any firesource. <br />2. Once you have made your repairs, lightly sanded the area, and wiped down the area to be painted, then go over it once more with a clean dry cloth. <br />3. Now you are ready to start painting. Be sure the humidity is not 100%, and that the ambient temperature is not excessive (+ 95F), that you paint in the shade away from blowing dust. Use a proper brush for your type of paint; invest in a good quality brush. <br />4. Select a starting point, and paint from there on out to have a continuous fresh paint front as you go. Try not to go back over the painted area once it begins to set. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly before exposing the boat to water.<br />5. About six weeks after application of new paint, apply a coat of protective marine wax to the surface.<br />Good luck, be safe to sail another day.