1985 Sea Ray Seville Restoration

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am starting my restoration of this great boat with little things. I will apologize now but the progress will be slow and completed as time and money permits. Plus, I still use the boat as often as I can, this past weekend was murder, I wanted to hit the lake so bad but the ratchet strap had to be addressed and that required some work. These are before pictures.

Before 1.jpg Before 2.jpg Before 3.jpg before 4.jpg Before 5.jpg

Chris

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 Sea Ray Seville Restoration

Completed pieces. I will include some more pictures tomorrow but this weekend I tackled the Rear seat back/cover piece (was able to salvage some of the original vinyl pieces for the back to the jump seats and the foam was still in good condition too), Hydrofoil (SE Sport 300), New prop (Quicksilver Black Diamond XT-14 1/4 21 pitch), temporary ski locker door, Dual battery switch (Blue Sea Systems), New fuel sending unit (Universal one from WM store), and new bilge pump (Johnson Pump 500GPH cartridge pump). The ski locker door is just a temp solution because the last time out it completely fell through and I had to put something there and I am trying to find one that I like. I'm being kind of picky because I want a larger one that what I have seen since I will use it as a rod locker.

P8120665.jpgP8120666.jpg

Chris

Icicle

Cadet

Nice, will be fun to follow this, it's amazing what you can learn just watching other peoples boats get fixed up!

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well did a complete tune up (plugs, wire, cap, rotor, condenser, point, wires) and new starter today. Went put for a ride and ran strong for roughly 30m or so then started surging and trying to die. Finally died pulling up to ramp and caused me run aground (no damage to hull noticed) got lucky. Fuel system is good minus fuel filter in pump however its easy to blow through it. Plugs are gapped right and wires are tight. any suggestions???

Chris

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Hi Chris,

Nice boat. I am no motor expert, but when was the last time the carb was rebuilt?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Any chance the fuel tank vent is plugged up? There's typically a filter in the fuel pump and another in the fuel connection on the carb, both look good? I'd agree with SD, good question.

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks SD. As far as the carb I am not sure, I'm kind of going through things as time and money permit. Carb rebuild is on the list but it runs pretty strong or did till I changed the point out. Now I just need to re-adjust the gap, dwell and timing. But the filters appear as if they have been changed just prior to me buying the boat as does the oil. Seems as my season is just about over since they are closing the closest boat ramps to me due to water levels in Lake Lavon, actually had to pay the last 2 times I launched. My issues the last 2 times out were caused by changing the point and not resetting the timing, got that sorted out though.

Chris

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Sounds like you have it under control. Let us know how it goes.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I would be checking the fuel system to ensure you aren't running old bad fuel and debris through your engine. Bad gas is one of the biggest reasons seasonal RV stuff fails. May want to inspect the entire fuel delivery system to get any old, bad stuff removed. Looks like a very nice boat, great lines on the hull IMO.

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

It has clean gas in it, I drained the old gas from when I got it and filtered and treated it with Lucas and ISO-heet before putting it back in.

Chris

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are the pictures I took of the little bit of work done so far. The ski locker door looks bad but its just a temporary deal until I see one I like or actually build a frame and glass a door. I had to put something there that portion of the floor was dangerous and unsafe, 2 things I don't take lightly when I have my 2 sons and nephew on the boat quite often.

New prop and hydrofoil.jpg Rear seat back and cover piece 3.jpg Rear seat back and cover piece 4.jpg temporary ski locker door.jpg

Chris

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Chris

Sea Ray built good boats from what I can tell.

You say the ski locker door fell through. How does the the deck look near the rear seats? Looked under the carpet?

Chris

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Good solid looking Sea Ray you have there, one of the glass boats that are worthy of a 2nd chance at being a great boat once again. Do you plan on tearing her all down for an actual full restoration or more of a refurbish?

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

The floor is solid everywhere. The ski locker was removed and attempted to be converted to a solid floor by one of the POs, then the POs I bought it from, had one of his friends hop in off a dock and went through the floor because when it was converted the wood was not sealed. It literally fell apart as I was trying to remove it, it ended up being removed with mostly a shop vac.

Well for an update on my boat. Since I am still have that issue with my points I am trying to locate a dwell meter and another timing light however I am leaning towards doing the conversion to electronic ignition and tossing in an ignition box from summit racing (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850610/overview/) over the winter with an MSD Coil, A full MSD system wouldn't be out of the question either but for cost reasons I am going to try the summit box. Does anybody know someone in the McKinney or Farmersville area that can sew covers for boat seats? Otherwise I may attempt to do it myself further expanding my skillset. Along with most other skills I have I am entirely self taught. If we can ever get out from under these 100+ degree days I may get out an finish my interior panels. Anybody know how they come off?

Chris

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Does anybody know someone in the McKinney or Farmersville area that can sew covers for boat seats? Otherwise I may attempt to do it myself further expanding my skillset.

Chris,
PM me if you want the contact info for the lady that did mine. She is in San Diego, but USPS postage should only be about $5 each way (cheaper than gas to drive somewhere local). I actually mailed a few pieces rather than driving to save time and gas. She is VERY affordable and her work is great.

TRsSeaRay1985

Recruit
Do you by chance have the model# for the Fuel Tank ('85 Sea Ra Seville)? I need to replace mine and Moeller Marine Products needs the #. My boat is about a 2 hr drive from me right now and I want to avoid the trip to get it if I can. Thx!