Just bought 1982 22' Aquasport Center- Need Opinions

miamiboater

Cadet
Hi guys!
Just purchased a 22' center console, 1982 aquasport. Comes with a Johnson 225 - not working. Whats your opinion on the boat in general? Good brand? Good motor - worth fixing up? It has one soft spot on the floor.. recommendations for fixing it? Any recommended mods or matinence that should be done? The boat is purchased but I still have to go pick it up - so I only have limited pictures for now, which I'll post. Just wanted to hear what you guys have to say about this boat, which I picked up for a great price.
Thanks!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Just bought 1982 22' Aquasport Center- Need Opinions

My opinion:

That'll be a good project boat, it'll need the decking removed and the below deck structure inspected for rot. The foam will also need to be core sampled for saturation... if it has foam floatation, it may or may not since it's 22' long.

If you restore this boat you'll get a like new boat for a small fraction of the cost of a new one.

hogg

Seaman

Boy what a good looking boat. Great fishing deck. Easy on your feet with that flat floor. Enough room to sleep, stretched out, when you want to overnight out on the Water.
Johnson 225 (not working) makes me wish I were closer. I love a mystery!
Yep it sure is worth fixing up.

miamiboater

Cadet

My opinion:

That'll be a good project boat, it'll need the decking removed and the below deck structure inspected for rot. The foam will also need to be core sampled for saturation... if it has foam floatation, it may or may not since it's 22' long.

If you restore this boat you'll get a like new boat for a small fraction of the cost of a new one.

Alrighty.. That's about what I was thinking too. However - Is there any way the to fix that soft spot and use the boat for a little bit before ripping off the deck and taking on the project of replacing the deck, etc? That's in the plans but I'd like to use it a little bit.. if you don't think that's smart then i'll take your advice and jump straight into restoration, but what do you think? Thanks for your opinion!

miamiboater

Cadet

Boy what a good looking boat. Great fishing deck. Easy on your feet with that flat floor. Enough room to sleep, stretched out, when you want to overnight out on the Water.
Johnson 225 (not working) makes me wish I were closer. I love a mystery!
Yep it sure is worth fixing up.

A mystery it is! Indeed.. it's a great looking boat! Got it for a steal with the motor and trailer - almost ashamed to say what I bought it for! I wish you were too, I'd love any help I could get working on her.. Thanks for your thoughts!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Welcome to iboats, you've got a very nice looking boat all around but that being said...

You'll have a full plate with that size of boat if you do end up having to replace the decking and most likely the transom as well. Unless already done, a boat over 30 will surly have issues with rotten wood. Sorry to say I don't really know of any other causes for the deck to have a soft or spongy spot unless the wood below is compromised.

Grub pretty well sized it up and there is no easy fixes to be had for older boats that have been allowed to water log. I'm thinking you'll find out why you got such a great deal when you start tearing into her. Hope for the best but expect the worst.

As far as hammering down the throttle on a 225 HP and busting through the chop in a 30+ year old boat with questionable issues under foot. Personally I would not do it but if you do have insurance and a good life vest.