The works toilet bowl cleaner to clean hull scumline..impressive

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I was looking at acid washing my hull to see how itd clean up. Because my boat is just about beyond cleaning without extreme chemicals. I tried power washing it a month ago when I cleaned out the interior before I took it out the first time this year, you can see in the one pic were theres a couple inch wide line where I hit it with 2000psi from a couple inches away and it hardly had any effect. So I immediately gave up and have been using it how it is since, until I was looking at cleaning acids online and realized that The Works may do the trick. I dont think its the best choice financially to do a whole boat with it but if you just need to do a motor or prop or whatever this stuff does an awesome job. All I did was spray some on, watch it fiz for 30 seconds, spray another coat on, let it sit 30 seconds, and watch it turn white and wipe the heavy buildup off with a rag. Tomorrow im going to buy some muriatic acid and do the whole boat using a pressure washer instead of a rag and keeping a plastic drop cloth between the boat and trailer instead of a board like I have in the pic. I tried 50/50 water and Works on one area, it took the heavy buildup off but left it yellow still.

20130805_225534_resized.jpg20130805_225508_resized.jpg

Cat19

Recruit
Re: The works toilet bowl cleaner to clean hull scumline..impressive

There is also a safe chemical called Purkleen. It has worked wonders for me on hard water scum lines and water spots. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Don't forget to seal that gel coat with Pro Tec or something to help prevent the scum line from coming back.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My wife was watching over my shoulder this morning and said...... hey isn't that what you use all the rime. I usually gel the gel toilet bowl cleaner that contains bleach. I use a hand-held scrub brush and then I rinse it off ;) Yup does the trick!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Soft Scrub with Bleach will help most that has the gelcoat bottom washings :D .

Like Bob suggested .. with a small scrub Brush ( not a scour pad ) will help you :) .

YD.