New to forum. looking for info on a sea sprite

rbmc20

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. I've been wanting to get a boat for a long time but new ones are expensive. So I thought starting out it may be best to get an older fixer upper to get started. I found a 1989 open bow sea sprite with a mercruiser motor and alpha drive. Owner says it needs starter and carb cleaned. So the question is would I be able to find the parts I need to fix it? Thanks for any info

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: New to forum. looking for info on a sea sprite

To direcly answer your question, you should be able to find everything you need carb to prop for a Merc driveline. If you buy a boat, I/O or OB, look for a model & year specific service manual, it will prove invaluable to have.

The motor & outdrive, although possibly not inexpensive to repair, shouldn't be too much trouble compared to a 25yr old open bow boat's overall condition.

I'm not familiar w/ that exact boat, but it is likely built similar to thousands of other glass boats.

Since you're here pre-purchase, read thru some of the fiberglass boat resto threads to get an idea of how & where to inspect an older glass boat.

Friscoboater's is a great place to start:
THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO REBUILDING A ROTTED FIBERGLASS BOAT W/ PICS & VIDEO!

Welcome to iboats & you're already on the right track to good boat ownership being here pre-purchase & asking questions.

rbmc20

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you jbcurt for your thorough response. I was searching online for info on this boat and this site came up. Read through some of the threads. Seems to be some knowelegable people on here. Was supposed to go take a look at it today but had something come up. Hopefully I'll be able to take a look next weekend or find another. If anyone has any suggestions on aboat that would be a good starter I m open to suggestions

jbcurt00

Staff member

Was supposed to go take a look at it today but had something come up. Hopefully I'll be able to take a look next weekend or find another. If anyone has any suggestions on a boat that would be a good starter I m open to suggestions

Decide what you 'think' you want based on how & where you'll use the boat:
18ft +/-
Open bow
I/O

And start shopping. Many places there are LOTS of choices 1hr+/- away. And expect to see some extremely overpriced derelict boats that the current owner has treated worse then they do their dog's waste, but think they have an extremely valuable boat.

Try to spend some time on the water in a boat of similar size & type to what you think you'd like. After you've been out in some, and seen several dozen for sale, you may decide that you really want a different size or type of boat.

If it doesn't run when you go to look at it, the I/O or OB motor is an ANCHOR & of little value. Only start it on muffs, in a barrel or at the dock. NEVER use starting fluid on an OB.

Be sure to KNOW what your state's regulations are for title & registration of boats. Untitled can be a MAJOR problem in some states, others not so much. The rules for claiming ownership of abandoned property can vary greatly too. Be sure to know the details for boats, trailers & OB motors.

There will be 'great' built boats that have suffered at the hands of a neglectful owner that won't be in 1/2 as good a condition as a 'entry-level' boat that was well cared for & meticulously maintained. Age & maker alone won't be a great predictor of condition.

Looking for a boat be prepared to walk away:
when you don't get a good vibe from the seller about anything, particularly @legal transfer of ownership
the seller isn't forthcoming when you ask questions
based on boats you've seen & your inspection, the seller is asking too much

Good luck & keep asking questions

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

In line with JBCurt's comments. I am active in metal working and I see people get their sights set on a lathe or mill and they get tunnel vision. The hardest thing in the world is to want something so bad that you can't see the flaws. Just like in machine tools, there are a lot of boats out there. Don't get in a hurry and research everything before you do make a purchase.

JBCurt gave the link to FriscoBoaters rebuild. They checked out a great looking boat and found nothing wrong. Then they dug a bit deeper and look at the can of worms that they opened.

As I drive around, I see all kinds of boats in front yards with no covering, faded gel coat and for sale signs on them. I used to think, "That might be a nice boat to have." After tearing into my "new" used boat, all I see now is a rot monster waiting to pounce on some unsuspecting mariner.

Do the research and know what to look for before leaping.

Now if you do find a rot monster and can convince the seller to let it go for a song and a dance, you've some to the right place. With some time, effort and money, you can have a boat that is better than what came from the factory and it will last much longer.

rbmc20

Seaman Apprentice

I have definitely come across boats in extremely bad shape that the owner wants a small fortune for. I have been combing eBay craigslist and local papers for boats. If it sounds like a decent deal its usually gone by the time I find it. I'm going to try to go look at one this weekend if its still available.

Some that I have seen ads for admit the floor is soft or rotted. Does this automatically say the boat leaks or could it be from just letting it sit outside unprotected?