1997 Chaparral 2330 Bowrider - Minor Restore and Refit

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
[FONT=&quot]The original pump was in good shape so I purchased another with a little bit higher gph rating. I wanted to mount the new pump a little higher than the original pump so that the float switch would activate if the first pump couldn't handle the volume of water. I made up a couple of stainless steel brackets to support the pumps.[/FONT]

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's a little hard to tell from the photos, but the newer pump is a couple of inches higher in the bilge.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wanted to add an additional battery for redundancy, and to go along with the theme of more (safety) is better. Since I added an additional bilge pump I wanted a way to control it, so I found a combination bilge switch and alarm. The bilge switch/alarm was pretty rudimentary (translation - cheap), but it's simplicity was sufficient to get the job done. The float switch is still the primary control, but with the switch/alarm I can turn on the pump manually. If the pump is activated, I get an audible alert to warn me that the backup pump is running and that I better figure out something fast.

I also bought a battery selector switch, automatic charging relay, fuse panel, and an onboard battery charger. All of this was going to be crammed inside the starboard side rear seat base. I was able to mount all of the main parts with the seat base outside the boat. I was thinking that attaching the cables and wires would be pretty straightforward... at least in theory. Let's just say that leaning over and peering into the top of the seat base while crimping and heat shrinking and screwing and whatnot, was anything but fun. I usually like wiring electrical. Not this time. It turned out OK though.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
Added some stainless strap brackets for the battery hold down straps. I know there is a bit of debate about whether a fuse should be used between the battery and starter, but I decided to err on the side of safety and added some terminal fuses. It's a little tight, but everything fit.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
In order to connect higher amperage loads like an inflator, I added this battery quick connect.

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
You've done an AMAZING job with this boat! I actually have a '99 2335, so we basically have the same boat. I also ripped out the nasty carpet, but I went with faux teak. Your gelcoat looks great, but I went the easier route! Still happy with the results tho! Here are some pictures of my boat:
DSCN0276_zpskpezx7vg.jpg
DSCN02771_zpsxu11y64j.jpg
DSCN0166_zps3i8lkndo.jpg
DSCN0164_zpspbtgsbon.jpg
DSCN02791_zpsbfzu0t70.jpg
0906151502_zpsoadtvx71.jpg

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
You've done an AMAZING job with this boat! I actually have a '99 2335, so we basically have the same boat. I also ripped out the nasty carpet, but I went with faux teak. Your gelcoat looks great, but I went the easier route! Still happy with the results tho! Here are some pictures of my boat:

Hey, thanks drewm3. I was actually just looking at some faux teak at the boat show yesterday. Looks like it would be pretty durable, and it definitely looks great in your boat. I want to add an extended swim platform, and would put something like that on the original swim step like you've done and on the added swim platform to match. I'm leaning towards Seadek, but not totally set. How do you like the feel and functionality?

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sea Dek is great, but very pricey. The marideck is very nice (and much cheaper), but I'm going to coat the swim platform pads with some non-skid clear coat. The pads aren't too slick now (much better than Chap's OEM non-skid), but they could use some refinement. I also have to caulk around the pads as the backing is cotton. I am also looking into adding a swim platform, but keep my boat at a dry stack and don't want to pay more per month for storage. Thus, I'm looking at building something custom my self that can swivel up when in storage to keep my costs as they are now (since they charge for everything they can lol). This is an ocean boat in south Florida, so the marideck and all the upgrades/repairs I'm doing are to waterproof the boat and improve its reliability/performance. Love your build, that gelcoat looks OEM! My only beef with doing something like that is over time non-skid gelcoat degrades and is hard to keep looking new, where as the Marideck is so tough I can drop a hammer on it and it doesn't leave a mark LOL! It also hides stains really well. If I were you, I would consider adding snap in carpet (like Frisco Boater did) or faux teak to finish her off. Either way, you now have a beautiful, big bowrider! Join the Chap forum as well, lots of guys over there have gone the Sea Dek route.

p.s. you may be the best boat electrician I have ever seen. My wiring is so amateur compared to what you've done LOL, but it still works. That ACR is a great feature and the PO did it on my boat as well. :facepalm:

Last edited:

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Marideck must be different than the stuff I saw yesterday. It had a very sturdy vinyl backing. The faux teak had fibers that gave it a more realistic look and added to its traction properties. Seemed a bit too thick though. I feel for you with the storage prices, but only a little... you can have them pull it out just about any day of the year. I gotta seal mine up for half the year.

My original plan was to add snap in carpet, but as it is, I might reconsider that, as the deck is really functional and easy to clean.

Thanks for the kind words.

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Marideck must be different than the stuff I saw yesterday. It had a very sturdy vinyl backing. The faux teak had fibers that gave it a more realistic look and added to its traction properties. Seemed a bit too thick though. I feel for you with the storage prices, but only a little... you can have them pull it out just about any day of the year. I gotta seal mine up for half the year.

My original plan was to add snap in carpet, but as it is, I might reconsider that, as the deck is really functional and easy to clean.

Thanks for the kind words.

I know what you saw! I actually ordered samples of it and thought it was okay. What you saw was "luxury woven vinyl?" I would not go with that for a swim platform TBH. The swim platform pads from Sea Dek are custom cut to your dimensions and the top is vinyl, not fabric. Marideck is also much more durable on the surface, but it comes in roll form. If you can make your own cuts, this is the cost-effective way to go. I did mine and they came out good, not great.

Is this what you saw? http://infinitylwv.com/view-our-collections/

This is Sea Dek:

18173901721_12d801746e_b.jpg

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oops, it's amazing how many brands and types of this stuff are around now! That's nice material and I bet you would be happy with it.