1997 Chaparral 2330 Bowrider - Minor Restore and Refit

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
About 5 years ago my family decided to get a boat?

So, besides a few posts to one of Jay?s - Friscoboater threads asking a question, I haven?t posted anything, but, I have been a serious lurker. I have read and learned so much from all of your threads and posts. From, the afore mentioned Friscoboater (who I can very much relate too with his Sea Ray purchase fiasco), to the certifiable oops!, I read it all. Thanks to Bond-o, Don S., Woodonglass, Ondarvr, and even the evil fiberglass boat killing Jason (who likes to be outside)? and so many more of you for all of your contributions. Now it?s my turn.

Here?s the story. Be forewarned, it's long. For you men or women of few words, like Bond-o, Don S, etc., who appreciate brevity; skip to my next post for the short version.

After deciding on a larger bowrider to accommodate myself, my wife, and my three rapidly growing sons, we went boat shopping. I found a 1997 Chaparral 2330 with a Mercruiser 5.7LX (carbureted) and Bravo 3 on a galvanized Shoreland?r trailer that looked perfect. It had about 350 hours with a (supposedly) rebuilt engine, with new exhaust headers and elbows. The owner seemed like an honest fellow and seemed to know a bit about boats. He had it stored inside, next to his dad?s aluminum fishing boat. He told me that he had the engine rebuilt because his uncle left it poorly covered and water dripped on and damaged the engine. Everything seemed plausible to my completely novice boat mind. I insisted on a water test even though he did his best to dissuade me (my first mistake ? missing this huge red flag). But, the boat looked sooo pretty.

My next mistake was taking the whole family out on the test ride. Now, I had good intentions with this idea. I wanted a full load to see how the boat handled and performed. What I didn?t count on was how much they distracted me from what I should have been doing, paying attention to details. After launching and riding around for a bit (performed great), I asked to see the engine. The bilge had a lot of oily water in it. The owner?s explanation was that he added some water and bilge cleaner to clean everything before the sale (as I?m pulling two of my boys apart, unknown to me, a plane flies over my head towing a giant RED BANNER). I buy the boat.

I spent the next few weeks (not quite boating season in the NW at the time) completely going through the boat and making sure everything worked and was clean and shiny. Found that the radio and the warning (oil pressure, temp, drive fluid) alarm did not work. No worries, quick fixes. My wife and I go out the first time to familiarize ourselves with the launching, retrieving, and operation of the boat before the invasion of the wee lads. The launch goes well and we were halfway up Lake Washington when that brand new warning alarm sounds. I throttled back and a quick scan of the gauges showed the oil pressure approaching zero. Opened up the engine compartment and saw oil dripping into the bilge. I had to add over a quart of oil to get it back to the dock.

Back home, my buddy (who knew a lot more about boats and boat engines than me) and I found that oil seemed to be dripping from the plastic timing chain cover and the front of the oil pan. OK, so we dropped the pan, replaced the gasket, and put on a new timing chain cover. There was something weird about the cover, the new one had plastic pegs that looked like they should go into the block, but the old one looked like they were trimmed off. So we trimmed them off too (my Aha! Moment would come much later). Looked good on the muffs at idle. Time to try it on the water again.

My wife, my boys, and I took our new trouble prone vessel out for a day of fishing, cruising and lounging. It was a great day, the boys loved it. We caught some fish, ate lunch, and made some nice wakes for the jet skiers. But? there was still oil leaking, and I found some water in the bilge (more than expected). I also heard/felt grinding when turning sharply. Argh!

Back at the shop my buddy and I go through the entire engine (at least as best we could with it in the boat). We found the engine driven fuel pump loose and leaking oil, multiple hose fittings loose and leaking water, and that darn oil pan/timing cover junction leaking again. My buddy and I decide to go out one more time before pulling the engine. My family was going to spend a week on a lake in a few weeks with the extended family, a reunion of sorts, and I wanted it ready then. In fact, it was one of the reasons we got the boat.

My buddy, his family, and my family all go out to test the boat and make a day of it. Halfway down Alder Lake at cruise, the power and speed dropped off. My buddy and I gave each other the ?Oh Crap!? look as I throttled back, a by then, very rough running engine. We nursed it back to the dock. Time to pull the engine.

Back home, pull the drive, get the tractor, and yank the engine. We started tearing into the engine. As I?m pulling spark plugs from one side, my buddy is pulling them from the other. His ?OH SHOOT!! ?(actually, slightly more off color), had me looking up to see him holding what looked kind of like a spark plug, but only to the end of the threads. No electrodes, no ceramic, but yeah, it was a spark plug. We find another just like it. We pull the heads and find two cylinders trashed. Cylinder walls scored from the spark plug remnants and valves cupped and broken. There was water in the valleys and crevices and absolutely no indication that the block or heads had been recently machined. It looked like water had leaked into the two cylinders and caused pre-ignition, detonation, or both. The cylinders were hand honed. Rebuilt? My a_ _. Time for and new block.

But, it was also time to get divorced. So the boat sat. For some reason she didn?t want the broken boat? go figure.

A few years passed. I slowly started getting my head screwed back on straight, those who have been through a long marriage and subsequent divorce can relate. Those that haven?t? Don?t. I started reading this forum.

It was time to get that darn boat back in the water. It was going to be (as Trooper calls his) my therapy; bridging the two halves of my life to become whole again. It was a project that my rapidly growing boys and I could work on together. I planned to rebuild the block (if possible), paint the bilge, replace the gimbal bearing, and fix up the trailer. No problem, right?

I started to take the engine apart in order to take it to the machine shop. I hadn?t looked at it since the last time except to put everything back on for ease of moving. This is where that Aha! Moment comes in. I took a closer look at the block and see that there were two pins cut off of the front of the block where the timing chain cover seats. I took down the numbers from the block to do some research. As I suspected the block did not come off of a Mercruiser and was actually an older block most likely off of a truck. I learned that 1997 was a hybrid year for Mercruiser. This particular engine was supposed to have the newer block, but the pre-vortec heads. The newer block requires the plastic timing cover while older blocks used a metal timing cover... Aha! The SOB PO must have gotten a junkyard block and passed it off as rebuilt.

In the process of pulling parts out of the boat, I noticed that the carpet was coming up around the bilge. Being the type to not leave well enough alone, I pulled the carpet up some more. I found a few spots where the fiberglass was delaminating from the plywood. Of course, after reading many a horror story about deck, stringer, and transom rot, I was prepared for the worst. I also noticed that several of the helm seat base screws were not in sound wood. I cut and drilled into the deck and transom. Luckily, except for a small amount of oil soaked wood on the bottom of the transom near the bilge drain, everything below the deck was dry and solid.

Now for a plan?

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 Chaparral 2330 Bowrider - Minor Restore and Refit

For all of you who made it through the first post, good job.

The short version: Bought a 1997 Chaparral 2330 with a Mercruiser 5.7LX (carbureted) and Bravo 3 on a galvanized Shoreland?r trailer. The engine turned out to be junk (well the block at least). The deck needs some serious attention.

Here?s what it kind of looked like when I got it.

DISCLAIMER: The following 8 photos are NOT of my boat. I only have a couple of photos before I started work on it, so I dug these up to give an idea of what it looked like.1.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg From here on, the photos will be my boat.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, here are a couple photos of my boat. .

Last edited:

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

And, how it looks now. . .

Last edited:

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice thread. As a fellow Chaparral owner I'm subscribed.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks StevenT. I've been following yours as well. Nice work, looking very good.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's what the engine looked like when I tore it down. Note the cupped intake valve in the second photo. A lot of pressure in there.

Last edited:

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

The plan...

• Remove all carpeting.

• Grind down fiberglass to solid wood.

• Repair and strengthen helm base and mount.

• Fiberglass and refinish deck.

• Refinish bilge and stern area.

• Rebuild transom assembly.

• Rebuild trim pump.

• Upgrade electrical:

• Dual batteries.
  • Battery switch.
  • Charging relay or isolator.
  • Additional bilge pump.

• New long block or partial engine.

• Repair and upgrade trailer:

• New winch strap.
  • Replace winch parts.
  • New bow stop.
  • Replace brake actuator.
  • Replace brake bearings and seals.
  • Paint or replace butt ugly wheels.

• Long term goals:

• Snap in carpet.
  • Swim step.
  • Wakeboard tower.
  • Trim tabs.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

Allright, bring it on.

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very wise investment in the Full face respirator. I started my project with a half face and later upgraded to full face, much better.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

Worth it's weight in gold. Wish I had gotten one much sooner. No fogging and no scratches (with the replaceable lens covers).

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome to the Iboats Dry Dock, Fiberglass Division, NorthwestChap...
First off, That is one nice looking boat and a worthy recipient of some TLC...
Read through your intro and I gotta say...UGH!:facepalm:...
Sorry to hear everything you went through to get to this point...
But you are here and it sounds like you are ready for some serious therapy...
I see you got your PPE and tools together and are ready to get down and dirty in restoration boot camp...:eek:...
BTW, it is an absolute joy to work with the full face respirator...hopefully it isn't too toasty where you have to work, but irregardless, make sure to take lots of water breaks...
From what I read, you have already conducted some of the obligatory probing of the wooden substructure?
Hopefully it is all solid, that would save you a good bit of work...
Anyhow, I would like to come aboard and help out any way I can with info and the occasional pat on the back.
Best of Luck and Have Fun!
GT1M:)

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks GT1M I appreciate the kind words. ?That which does not kill us?? Anyway, absolutely, welcome aboard and glad to have you. All input, comments, criticisms, etc., welcome.

OK, in the process of taking the transom assembly out, I noticed a bit of left-right play that I couldn?t eliminate when tightening the U-bolt. Looks like I?ll need a new gimbal ring or need to repair the old one. By the time I add up all the parts to make the assembly as good as new (including repair of the gimbal ring), it?s beginning to look like an all new transom assembly might be the way to go.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was surprised to see how uneven and inconsistent the fiberglass covering the deck appeared. It was thin in some areas and thick in others. The foam in some of the expansion holes was not level with the plywood, resulting in a bump in those spots. I realize it was carpet covered, but I was not impressed.

I ground down to bare wood over the majority of the deck. What a mess, fiberglass, sawdust, and glue everywhere. The carpet glue was the worst to deal with. It was in three different states, firm, gummy, and dry/powdery. I wanted it all gone, so what I couldn't grind off without smearing and gumming up my disk, I used various solvents and strippers to remove. The full face mask was priceless.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cut out the deck under the helm base. Once again, I was very surprised that a supposedly higher end boat had such poor construction. Stapled to the underside of the deck was a slightly thicker piece of plywood, with just 2 very corroded blind nuts. The other 4 screws were in the wood, and two of those were stripped.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

The seat post had welds that failed where the seat base/slider mounts. I emailed the manufacturer and low and behold, they sent me a replacement seat post free of charge. Definitely wanting to reward such amazing customer
service and product support, I ordered their way over-priced, seat post mounting system.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cut a piece of plywood to fit between the stringers and fiberglassed the underside. I attached the stainless channel of the seat post mount to the fiberglassed side and secured it all below the deck. I then attached the cutout deck piece and sealed all deck joints with peanut butter (fiberglass and resin filler). It seems to be a much better system than the original blind nuts.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class

I want to gel coat the deck and bilge/stern after I fiberglass the deck. Deck will be colored to match the boat - beige/almond, while the bilge will be white. I need to make the deck smooth and level with the fiberglass.

I'm using a combination of 3/4 oz. CSM, 1208, and 1708. My goal is a rock solid deck that can hold up to me, my boys, friends, and anything else we throw at it.