16' 1972 Alumacraft

rugardave

Cadet
Hi everyone,

The transom on the boat is rotted and not safe. What should I use to replace it and how do I go about it so I minimize the damage to the aluminum if any? I run a 15 hp on it and have had up to a 30. But now only have the 15. If you know the type it's a small fishing boat. Thanks for any help.

Thanks,
Dave

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 16' 1972 Alumacraft

Replace the wood with plywood. As many plus as you can find, hopefully made with waterproof (exterior) glue.

Coat the wood with several coats of spar varnish, or epoxy resin sealer.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Replacing the wood on an aluminum boat is not a big deal. I did it on an 18' Starcraft I/O. You can buy 3/4" plywood at Home Depot. Check the current transom thickness. If 3/4 replace with that. If 1 1/2 which I doubt but I don't know, get some quality waterproof wood glue and glue 2 pieces of 3/4 together.....that's what I did on my restoration. Cut to fit and as roscoe said, coat it good with a waterproof sealer. If you don't like what he recommended while in HD, get a quart of Boiled Linseed oil and a quart of Turpentine. Mix the two together and paint it all over a couple of times. The linseed oil will keep water out of the wood and is absorbed (penetrates) so you don't have to worry about cracks, and the turpentine just thins it, allowing it to penetrate, and will evaporate in a couple of days.

Mark

rugardave

Cadet

Thanks guys, then that't what I'll do. Use plywood and the sealants

Thanks again,
Dave

pckeen

Commander

Take a look through some of the restoration threads here. There are some tricks to getting it out. Take a look at jeepcollector's Youtube video. Just click on the link here. I found it extremely helpful.