Spraying Awlgrip paint

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have read a few posts about painting with Awlgrip. <br />I have past experience spraying Interlux Brightside Polyurethane on my previous boat. This time I only need to match paint for the repaired area. I tried to match Interlux to the paint on my hull. I took white and added almond to it as I needed to make it white with a yellowish twist. My paint matching skills are very bad. What I thought is a match, turned out very different once the paint was dry. Now, I think I have an exact match with Awlgrip "Oyster White". I thought the boat was painted with Imron, but now I am sure it must have been Awlgrip. <br />I read Thom's posts about "rolling and tipping". I like the final finish very much. That is an amazing looking boat. <br />Anyway, I like to try spraying.<br /><br />Did not find any posts on spraying Awlgrip. Has anyone done it spraying?

crab bait

Captain
Re: Spraying Awlgrip paint

awlgrip is very UN-user friendly.. health wise to imron.. unless you have imron saftey stuff .. i would not..

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

If it's a 2 part paint you can't really spray it your self, unless you have all the gear. Protective stuff and assisted oxygen. Better 'roll and tip' it.<br /><br />cheers

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you going to spray in a booth, or outside?

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, let’s see... I only need to spray a small portion. It is a section at the bow of the boat. There is an edge above the section I need to paint, so I think it should blend in nicely and may be unnoticed at all.<br />Spraying equipment: Turbine low pressure professional spraying system.<br /><br />As for protective gear: I read the warning on the paint can :confused: kind of makes me feel a bit worried. I will wear OV(Organic Vapors)respirator and a cover-all painter’s suit. Not chemical suit though and the respirator I have is not oxygen assisted. <br />It will be sprayed outside. I figure I can put a thin coat and walk away from the area for a few minutes. Sanding between coats is a bit more of my worry. I have a military gas mask, could it be better then a respirator while sanding or painting?

boatman1100

Cadet

Lenny i also really wanna use this paint from the work i have seen done with it it looks like a fabulous choice the only one to really go with. But now reading all this stuff kinda scares me too and i was wonderin if u guys thought i should jus go with a different paint and if so which one and if u thought it is possible to paint with awl grip wat equipment excactly i need. thanx guys<br />ps. im goin to spray it with a gun im gunna buy and im building a painters thingy in my backyard.<br />Will a gravity gun u would buy from like sears work????

D

DJ

Awlgrip is DANGEROUS if not handled by a pro with the proper head gear (respirator) and sufficient ventilation-read; paint booth.<br /><br />Use the roll/tip method for touch up.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

I have no personal experience with it but I do know what is in the 2 part paint. Isocyanates are nothing to fool around with. They recommend a separate air supply and protective clothing for a reason. Some things you shouldn't get on you but won't kill you. Then there are things you don't want to mess with at all. Can you say Bhopal India?

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spoke to Awlgrip representative.<br />They say "Tyvek" painting suit, OV respirator, gloves are a must. <br />I think it is not that bad if it is done outside, as the vapors will disolve in the air. Awlgrip may not bond to other paints, so they have suggested to use their primer. I don't feel like finding out the hard way, so I will use primer. <br />Primer needs it's own "converter" and "reducer" that is different from the one used with the Topcoat. <br />As I said I will be using a professional spray system. I am not sure if electric gun will provide as much of the flow as you need for this application. I sprayed "Interlux" using electric spray gun. That is the same surface that I will now paint with Awlgrip. Electric gun is not my thing. Rather then placing a nice amount of paint evenly spread, as most of the high priced guns do, electric spray gun "Wagner" was spraying an uneven mist of paint. Another thing is, with a pro gun, there is an option where you could blow air to the surface, which will dry paint if you suspect that a "run" is possible. Not available with electric gun. Bottom line, after spraying "Interlux" with electric gun I decided to go ahead and paint with "Awlgrip". I sanded all "Interlux" down to the original paint. <br />Besides health concern, Awlgrip is much more expensive. It will run around $200 and change for the total of 6 items: (quart of each)<br />Top coat, reducer and converter<br />Primer, reducer and converter <br /><br />HERE IS THE HEALTH RELATED CONCERN - <br />Isocyanates:<br />"Health effects of isocyanate exposure include irritation of skin and mucous membranes, chest tightness, and difficult breathing. Isocyanates are classified as potential human carcinogens and are known to cause cancer in animals. The main effects of overexposure are occupational asthma and other lung problems, as well as irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin".<br /><br />My choice - Awlgrip. I do not see how brush and tip method is any safer then spraying.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Some people have severe reactions to Isocyanates and some don't, and it can become worse with repeated contact. Even with a respirator and other protective gear I have tightness in my chest and Asthma type breating problems when using paints like Awlgrip. It does not make a difference whether it is sprayed or brushed, if I can smell it, I will have some kind of a responce. This took many years of contact 20+ years ago, but I still have problems around them now. Most of the time I use single part pants now for this reason.

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I painted with single part Interlux, I worked on surface prep without respirator. Two weeks later I started getting skin rash and fewer any time I went to marina. That continued for the entire summer. Now, I seem to have allergies to pollen, dust, marine growth.<br />I have never had allergies before... I think painting had it's share to do with these things. Now, I will use respirator and all protective gear. If you could smell paint fumes with respirator, then respirator is wrong. Must be OV (organic vapors) protection. <br />Oh, I hope I don't get any health issues with this Alwgrip project. It interferes with fishing big times. :) <br /><br />ondarvr, <br />you said: "This took many years of contact 20+ years ago...". Just curious, were you in body repair industry?

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

My choice - Awlgrip. I do not see how brush and tip method is any safer then spraying.<br />--------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />A brush or roller does not create a fog that can be sucked into your lungs.

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Respirator with OV protection or gas mask.<br />What is better? <br />I don't want to sound as if I do not care about my health... I do care very much. It is just that spraying yields better finish in my opinion. It will need less wet sanding of the final coat, therefore less exposure to paint dust. <br />I may be using "spray and run" method :) I can hold my breath for about 30-45 seconds. I think this is just as much time as I need to paint the section that I need to paint. It is about 15 inch wide and 2-3 feet long. <br />Awlgrip direction suggests to apply first coat as a thin coat, let it dry for 45-60 min, apply a medium thick coat, let dry for 1 1/2 hour, apply third - final coat. Paint fumes will evaporate by the time I am ready to spray another coat... I now sound like I am reassuring myself :) :) :) I am more concerned with sanding the final finish. I do not want to sand between coats. If the paint flows well under roller and brush, I should expect a great finish with minimal sanding required with spray gun application.

boatman1100

Cadet

hey u mentioned u have painted with interlux well how did u like that lenny???

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Lenny2113<br /><br />I was and still am in the fiberglass industry. At that time I was doing mostly big custom type jobs, I was using many different types of paints and coatings, but it was the Isocyanates that got to me. Inhaling vapors is only one way of getting chemicals into your system, many are absorbed through your skin easily, somtimes you can taste them by just geeting it on you hands. When I said that if I can smell it, I can have some kind of reaction, I ment that when I go into a body shop or boat builder that may have used this type of product recently, I may get some tightness in my chest. Sanding cured paint is not normally a problem though, but you do need to use the correct type of respirator.<br />Now I do sales and tech service for a large resin and gel coat company.<br /> <br />I have a couple of project boats, 1 aluminum jet boat and 1 fiberglass "CC" bay boat.

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

ondarvr, <br /><br />What type of respirator is correct type. A few people have mentioned that a half face mask Organic Vapors (OV) respirator is not good for this paint. Besides from air supplied mask, is there something else that will protect you? <br />Military gas mask?<br />You see, I dont want to have my paint mismatched, as I need to paint section that was repaired. On the other hand I do not want to end up having health issues. I want to do it right. <br />Greatly appreciate everyone's advises!!!<br />Lenny

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The paint companies advise using a fresh air supplied face mask with these paints, I wouldn't advise anything different. But most poeple just use a respirator supplied by an automotive paint store (for paint). The replaceble filters at the store will have a label discribing what it should be used for. Most of the health problems related to paints and solvents are from long term exposure.

boatman1100

Cadet

Hey thanx lenny i think i am goin to use a two part interlux paint hope to see u on the boards again u should check out my boat when i put it up on the boards!!!!