Aluminum V-Hull: Planning the floor (Input Wanted)

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am putting a removable flat floor into my 12' Aluminum Richl boat. I'm going to lay it out first for you, then provide two pictures using some scrap wood from around the house to demonstrate what I'm going for. Please advise me before I buy supplies and move forward.

Planned Materials:

- Untreated 2x4's

- Marine Plywood - I'm unsure on the thickness. My demonstration OSB is 3/4 I think, it's pretty thick and heavy. I would think this is more thick then I need and extra weight that is not required.

- Marine carpet

- Wood Glue

- Deck Screws

The Plan:

I plan to cut the 2 x 4's to the length shown in the pictures. I will lay them down, as shown, from flush against one bench to flush against the next bench, the only gap in the 2x4's being in the middle where the "rib" is. This gap will not matter in the strength of the floor. The 2x4's will not actually be secured to the boat. The length of the boards makes the plywood floor rest just above the existing floor at the sides, all the way around. It also leaves complete clearance under the floor where the water flows to drain to the bilge area.

I will then use cardboard or foam (I have both, this part i'm unsure about how to do) to cut a template for the plywood. I want the plywood to lay perfectly inside the boat so that there is very little gap between the floor and the sides of the boat. There will be a slight gap between the floor and bench in front of it so that the plywood floor can clear the lips of the bench going in. I will be cutting a "half moon" in the front of the floor big enough to get my finger under the floor and lift it up so I can remove it, though I doubt I ever will.

After testing the fit of the plywood I will put all of the 2x4's in place, make any adjustments to get the plywood laying flat on them, and place wood glue on top of each 2x4. I will then put the floor in, put weight on top, and after a few hours I will then drive in deck screws securing the floor to the 2x4's.

The floor will then be covered with the carpet and the floor will be complete.

Hope I explained it properly. The scrap plywood obviously is not cut to fit but I did cut down the scrap 2x4's to the length that I feel they will be.

Attachments

• 20130729_162453_zpsd2db1e93.jpg
    20130729_162453_zpsd2db1e93.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130729_162539_zps08a5b131.jpg
    20130729_162539_zps08a5b131.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Aluminum V-Hull: Planning the floor (Input Wanted)

The weight of wood framing, decking, and carpt adds up fast in small boats and takes up weight usually needed for people and equipment. It's also a merciless robber of speed.

Then if you don't keep the boat covered from th elements and everything becomes saturated you're over your safe weight capacity before you even set foot in the boat.

You'll be a lot better off not putting anything in that boat except people and equipment.

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

thousands of these boats have had floors or casting decks added. Not worried about the speed and the boat is out of the elements every second it's not on the water so i'm not worried. I also don't see it "saturating" with marine carpet, marine plywood, and under flooring pretty well protected from the majority of water in the rare event that much water is even in the boat.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Meh, it's your boat and you can do anything you want to it... but I think you'll see what I'm talking about when you get done with it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Do what you think works best for your needs. I wouldn't spend the money on Marine grade anything for a removable floor. Douglas Fir 2x4's and ext grade plywood is all that's needed. Patio grade carpet sold @ Lowe's will also hold up well in this scenario. Get it done and GO FISHIN'!!!!!

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do what you think works best for your needs. I wouldn't spend the money on Marine grade anything for a removable floor. Douglas Fir 2x4's and ext grade plywood is all that's needed. Patio grade carpet sold @ Lowe's will also hold up well in this scenario. Get it done and GO FISHIN'!!!!!

I have a lot of plywood here already and a roll of outdoor carpet left over from a project I did for my mom. I considered using what I have simply because the boat is stored inside. This kind of reinforces it now. I have a lot of water seal also, can water seal be used on the wood? I know treated lumber reacts with aluminum and should not be used, does this apply to seal as well?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Why water seal it if it's never going to get wet?

Water seal is little more than parafin (wax) and mineral spirits, and adhesives don't bond well to wax.

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

I think you could eliminate some of the 2x4s. If you had a 2x4 every 12 to 16 inches you would probably have enough support for your deck, save on some weight, and have less cutting involved. Just my thoughts.

Bondo

Staff member

thousands of these boats have had floors or casting decks added. Not worried about the speed and the boat is out of the elements every second it's not on the water so i'm not worried. I also don't see it "saturating" with marine carpet, marine plywood, and under flooring pretty well protected from the majority of water in the rare event that much water is even in the boat.

Ayuh,... What's the Safe weight carryin' capacity of this tiny 12' tinny,..??

I'm thinkin' yer floor will take up atleast 1/2 of the number yer gonna reply,...

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

:pop2:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It IS your boat and you are free to do with it as you wish but... IMHO ALL of the weight considerations being stated by the members are valid and should be strongly considered as you continue with this build. A limited number of 2x2's should be adequate for what you are wanting to do.

Last edited: