Buehler Bolero restoration help and info please

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcgowen

Cadet
I just picked up a 1969 Buehler Bolero with a 318 Chrysler that needs a lot of love. This is my first jet boat and I need as much info as possible that I can find. I am looking for good photos and a source for parts. I am in Indiana about 45 min from where they were made and very few people know anything about them. I have the engine out and am going to go through it. The interior is almost new but it needs the flor replaced. I hope to have her on the water in the spring of 2014.

cmcgowen

Cadet
Re: Buehler Bolero restoration help and info please

here is a couple photos of the winter project. :joyous:

Attachments

• DSC_0344.jpg
    DSC_0344.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0347.jpg
    DSC_0347.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0350.jpg
    DSC_0350.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0351.jpg
    DSC_0351.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0352.jpg
    DSC_0352.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was rain/snow allowed to just flow into the hole in the floor?

cmcgowen

Cadet

Was rain/snow allowed to just flow into the hole in the floor?

No it had nice carpet and interior in it. I pulled all of the interior suspecting a 40+ year old boat would have a few issues. I found a soft spot under the front seat and started poking and picking at the spot. it has sat inside covered up until I brought it home. I had it outside to rinse out the hull and clean and wrap up the interior.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

One look at that floor
indicates there may be a lot more

rot.

The stringers and transom are suspect and need checked before replacing the floor.

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

My concern exactly. I wouldn't do a single thing more to the boat until you check all of that out very very well

cmcgowen

Cadet

my plan is to replace all foam and inspect everything while it is exposed. I agree I'm fairly sure its going to need stringers. I only plan on doing this once so it has to be correct.

BogdenZ

Recruit

cmcgowen - I own a Bolero and your boat appears to be all there and original in terms of hardware, etc. The upholstery is not original but it looks like it was done over the original seats.

Judging by the pic of the pump, the transom wall doesn't look to bad. In those years, Buehler's transoms were exposed on the inside of the stern rather than the wood being sandwiched between fiberglass. They generally went over the exposed/inner side with a coating of epoxy and some paint. If you feel it looks fairly solid, I'd leave it......keeping in mind that the transoms on these boats don't need to withstand the same load as an outboard or sterndrive.

As for the stringers, believe it or not, they only run the length of the engine bay. From shortly after the rear motor mount, to the transom, the stringers are hollow.....the only wood being plywood which simply creates the structure over which the glass was laid. That said, you're really only looking at cutting the tops off the area in that engine bay, removing the rotted oak (yup) and either glassing in some new wood or, perhaps, filling it with something like Seacast. Either way, if you had a chance to see the boat with the motor in it, and noticed how close the exposed flywheel is to the floor of the bilge, I'm sure you can conclude why you don't want to run bad/soft stringers on those boats.

By the way, many that have restored these boats forego replacement of the foam under the floor. I won't call that advice (as it wouldn't be the best) but, once waterlogged, it will never fully dry........adding significant weight and contributing to structural issues if it freezes (floor swelling, etc.). The earlier models did not contain foam.

Feel free to post any specific questions you have. Happy to help.

cmcgowen

Cadet

cmcgowen - I own a Bolero and your boat appears to be all there and original in terms of hardware, etc. The upholstery is not original but it looks like it was done over the original seats.

Judging by the pic of the pump, the transom wall doesn't look to bad. In those years, Buehler's transoms were exposed on the inside of the stern rather than the wood being sandwiched between fiberglass. They generally went over the exposed/inner side with a coating of epoxy and some paint. If you feel it looks fairly solid, I'd leave it......keeping in mind that the transoms on these boats don't need to withstand the same load as an outboard or sterndrive.

As for the stringers, believe it or not, they only run the length of the engine bay. From shortly after the rear motor mount, to the transom, the stringers are hollow.....the only wood being plywood which simply creates the structure over which the glass was laid. That said, you're really only looking at cutting the tops off the area in that engine bay, removing the rotted oak (yup) and either glassing in some new wood or, perhaps, filling it with something like Seacast. Either way, if you had a chance to see the boat with the motor in it, and noticed how close the exposed flywheel is to the floor of the bilge, I'm sure you can conclude why you don't want to run bad/soft stringers on those boats.

By the way, many that have restored these boats forego replacement of the foam under the floor. I won't call that advice (as it wouldn't be the best) but, once waterlogged, it will never fully dry........adding significant weight and contributing to structural issues if it freezes (floor swelling, etc.). The earlier models did not contain foam.

Feel free to post any specific questions you have. Happy to help.

Are you suggesting not replacing the foam? Just remove it and leave it out. Or just leave it alone altogether ? Did you restore your boar or is it all original?

BogdenZ

Recruit

Because the foam is a safety feature, some people wouldn't suggest leaving it out. Personally, however, if I were to replace my buehler's floor, I'd remove it and not replace it.

I have two buehlers....a '59 and a '70 (the bolero). Aside from new gauges installed to confidently monitor a rebuilt engine, the bolero is all original.....right down to the upholstery.

zdeyonker

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I posted on here trying to find help identifying a boat I have and by luck, found the tag on the jet drive. Long story short, I was able to make out enough info to lead me to it being a Buehler. I found your post and it seems you know these boats well. I was wondering if you would mind helping me with mine at all? I could use a few measurements, recommendations for what type of resin to use on the stringers, and so forth. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.