1973 Cobia unknown Model???????

chicoblack

Recruit
Hello to all,
I have a 1973 Cobia boat, but the model is unknown. I am looking into restoring her and I have been looking ofr information on the hull to do so but 40 years of time makes it difficult. Does anyone know or have seen this model before.

I am not worried about the work, but I am wondering if there some sort of weight that is placed by the manufacturer to keep the distribution level along with flotation under the deck. I have included pictures of the hull.

Attachments

• WP_20130725_006.jpg
    WP_20130725_006.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1
  • WP_20130725_007.jpg
    WP_20130725_007.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1973 Cobia unknown Model???????

Cobia Boats are still in production.
Go to their website and contact them with some pics.
They might be able to give you the details, if no one here can...
Best of Luck!
GT1M:)

chicoblack

Recruit

Thanks for the response. I already tried that. Even called Century and Maverick who were all once upon a time the same company back in those days and nothing. Its ok, I have decided not to even pursue the restore on this hull. Just ain't worth the money really especially considering i don't have an outboard for it.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Oh well, keep looking...you might find a good candidate for a restore...there are a ton of boats available down here...you just have to be firm with most of the sellers down here because they think they have a perfect boat and are always asking too much for them...Unless the boat is actually in pristine condition and very well cared for, AND less than a few years old...most of them that are more than say 10 years old and have been left out in the weather most of its life, are going to be rotten through and through...
Good Luck and have fun searching for your project...we'll be here if you have any questions or concerns.

chicoblack

Recruit

Oh well, keep looking...you might find a good candidate for a restore...there are a ton of boats available down here...you just have to be firm with most of the sellers down here because they think they have a perfect boat and are always asking too much for them...Unless the boat is actually in pristine condition and very well cared for, AND less than a few years old...most of them that are more than say 10 years old and have been left out in the weather most of its life, are going to be rotten through and through...
Good Luck and have fun searching for your project...we'll be here if you have any questions or concerns.

GT1000000,
Any chance you know of any place down that takes old hulls for disposal purposes. Its still under my name and I want to have it removed of the DMV database.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

As far as taking the hull, it can get very expensive unless you chop it up into tiny pieces and dispose of it at the local dump...If you have to take the whole thing to one of the commercial dumps, like the South Dade Landfill, you need to get coupons, because they don't take cash, then weigh it at the transfer station and pay with coupons...it is complicated and a royal pain because how are you going to know how much it weighs before hand to buy the right amount of coupons, etc...
The other thing you can do is check out Miami-Dade County Waste Services Division, again, remember its a government agency and can be a real hassle to get a straight answer from them...
Here is a link to their website...
Miami-Dade County - Public Works and Waste Management - Waste Disposal