1986 Wellcraft Elan XL 197 transom and stringer repair.

elanxl

Cadet
I purchased a boat back in May of this year and the gentleman started it up and told me everything about the boat. He tried to tell me that he just had it all checked out by a marina in South Carolina and they claimed that all that was wrong with the boat was the motor mount boxes were weak and needed to be redone. Now I have found out that all the wood in this boat is rotten and needs to be replaced. I just got done replacing all the seats, trim boards, and bow cushions with marine plywood to find out last night that my boat guy tells me I will need a whole new transom and stringers. The question I have is when do you decide enough is enough? Should I go on and finish the boat or part it out? I have about $2700 in it right now. It is a gorgeous boat with a very clean hull and the engine checks out great along with the outdrive. Please give me some advise and let me know if anyone has a ballpark of what it costs to fix something of this nature.:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1986 Wellcraft Elan XL 197 transom and stringer repair.

19ft +/- boat? $3-4K depending on your access to tools, workspace, materials & the way your boat was built. Maybe more depending on the amount of stuff you can pull off @demo, save & reuse. Lots more if you go high end on all the finishes, and electronics.

That's if you do 95% of the work yourself, including the demo, put back & upholstery.

Only you know the answer to the enough is enough~part it out question.

If you spend $3500 on the rehab, add @$300 in misc supplies, & your original $2700 up to this point, that's $6500 for a boat that may not be 'worth' $4K.

But, it will be significantly better then most (all?) similarly sized $6-7K used boats in your market. Any boat can have similar problems lurking below decks, even on boats that appear to be solid, water-ready boats.

Scan thru to the most recent pix @ a Bayline I/O rebuild:
'89 Bayliner Avanti restoration - where to start?

I'm pretty sure in Nov'12, he had no idea he'd be where he is today, and what the actual condition of his boat was before he tore into it.

Read some resto threads. Lots of good info in most of them. Even if they aren't Wellcraft Elan XL197's, they are generally constructed the same & of the same materials.

elanxl

Cadet

Well i have decided that I am going to fix my golden nugget after all. I have already pulled the motor and outdrive. So that part is done and out of the way. Interior has already been removed and redone. So I guess my next step is going to be removing the cap to get to the transom and stringers. Any suggestions on how I should make sure all my stringers go back exactly where they belong, that the transom will be done properly and that my motor mount boxes are right? This is my first boat rebuild and my family will be on this boat. My family is priority in my life and I must watch out for their safety. Thanks.:cool:

elanxl

Cadet

I have been reading several threads on here and I am confused. Can someone please explain the difference between pl and pb to a first timer? I am going to try and do my own repairs so that I can look back at it when I am done and tell people that I done this on my own with the help of iboats people helping me along the way. I am excited about this and am anxiously needing some help to lead me in the right direction. Thanks iboat community.

jbcurt00

Staff member

PL = PL Premium (a polyurethane based Liquid Nails type product):
150808.jpg

PB = Polyester resin based filler made w/ a variety of fillers from thin & running (thinner then mayo) for small nicks, dings & pin holes using micro-balloons to thick & pasty ('Hairy' peanut butter consistancy) for structural applications (bedding transom & stringers) made using milled/chopped fibers (you can cut up your scrap CSM to make your own)

If you choose PL for your bedding compound, you need to allow it a MINIMUM of 72hrs before proceeding. If you use PB, you can actually do wet on wet applications as soon as the PB starts to get tacky (15min+/-). You just smooth the PB, let it tack over, apply fresh resin to wet the PB's surface, roll in your fiberglass & apply enough resin to fully wet it out. Wait 15min+/- and apply a another coat of resin & a second layer of glass... In high temps (Las Vegas in the summer) you probably don't want to do more then a couple layers of wet on wet. In cooler temps (but still above 50F) you can probably do more. But too many & it will become too hot, too fast, causing it to cure too fast & it may become brittle.

elanxl

Cadet

Thanks jb. I think my best bet would be pb. I will be towing my boat up to my shop to get started on it this weekend. I will post some pics at that time.

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you hang around this forum long enough you'll get used to reading threads such as yours. Mine started about 3 weeks ago. The entire, "The boat seemed solid but once I got under the deck... Yadda Yadda Yadda."

I picked up my rot beast for $3,900 and then the reality of its condition finally set in. It was either write it off as a complete loss or buckle down and get to the work at hand. I'll never get back out of it what I am putting into it, but it will be lighter and stronger than when it came from the factory. It will be the last used boat that I ever buy.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I've attached a PDF file that will help you with your project.

(Click the Pic to Download and View the PDF file.)

View attachment MaterialsList.pdf

Remember this, when she's done, even if you have $7,500 invested, she'll be better than she was when she left the factory and you won't be able to find or buy a boat anywhere for that price that will be in as good of condition as she will be. If you like her styling and she fits your needs then I think your choice to rebuild is a wise one.;)

Last edited:

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

So I guess my next step is going to be removing the cap to get to the transom and stringers.

You may not need to remove the cap, just depends on how much access you have with the cap on. Check out Friscoboaters youtube videos for an idea of how much you can do with the cap on.

elanxl

Cadet

Thanks baker, woody and sparkinator. I believe I want to pull the cap to make sure it is done properly the first time around. I appreciate the list you gave me woody. I am going to be purchasing some of my materials this weekend. As far as mask,suit and gloves, I have all that at my shop already. I am going to seal off an area so that the dust does not affect my employees performing their daily duties. I am so excited and ready to start this project that I have been talking to my boat daily telling her that she is going to better and stronger when I am done with her.

mountainlake

Recruit

I'm sort of in the same position. Looking at the same model boat for sale. The boat looks great all around, motor starts easy and sounds good, but the out drive is out. Can get for a good price.Can you tell me the things to look for to avoid big problems? How can I check the wood etc?

elanxl

Cadet
Well it has been awhile since I posted anything but I finally got the stringers and transom done. All the wood in this boat are marine grade plywood now. I even used spar urethane to seal all the wood. Now is the process of getting boat upholstered and putting outdrive and engine back in. Wish me luck. Thanks iboaters for the info I found on this site.