Antique Aluminum Boat needs stripping and leaks fixed - Please help

mdarrow23

Recruit
So we have an all aluminum hull boat from 1959, we are trying to restore it to glory.
1. Unfortunately, it has 4 layers of paint on it so we are looking for suggestions on how best to remove the paint without damaging the hull.
2. Secondly, there are some minor leaks in the boat so we want to see if anyone had suggestions about what to use on the leaks.
Thanks!

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Antique Aluminum Boat needs stripping and leaks fixed - Please help

I can answer #1. Any paint stripper, I like to put it in a spray bottle, cover the area, then rinse the bottle clean. Aircraft stripper is the best imo. If you have access to the equipment blasting it with walnut is also really great. With paint 90% of the final result is the surface preparation so you get out what you put in. Spraying the paint is the easy part.

Others can much better answer the question on leaks but to do so it would help to know if these leaks are from cracks, breaks, missing rivets, etc. Bondo and new rivets come to mind.

oldjeep

Admiral

Well for the leaks, there is that stuff they use on tv to seal a screen door in the bottom of a jon boat ;)

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well for the leaks, there is that stuff they use on tv to seal a screen door in the bottom of a jon boat ;)

I always wondered if that was BS, I also wondered if they ever later went fishing, forgot, and stepped on it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Lots of aluminum boats have been stripped on this forum using a variety of strippers. Aircraft stripper comes to mind. You'll want to tighten up and obviously identifiable loose rivets. Seal the rivet and seams from the inside with Gluvit or Coat-It.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Would love to see pix of your 1959 Duratech (right?) w/ a 40hp Lark

Which '59 model?

A length?

Aircraft Stripper is a great stripper, but is noxious nasty stuff. Make sure to cover up & wear adequate PPE.
EDIT: If you're in the US, many AutoZone/Advanced Auto will price match online prices. Summit Racing has Rusto Aircraft Stripper for @ $22 +shipping. AutoZone here has it for $39+tax, but sold it to me for $22+tax (didn't add the shipping) on 2 or 3 different occasions. Take the Summit webpage w/ you to the store. BTW: Same price matching for vinyl dye, and got 4 cans for about a 1/3rd off w/ Summit's webpage.

I wouldn't use bondo filler on a boat (aluminum or fiberglass). JB Weld & Marine-Tex come to mind as much better choices for damage/hole repair. There are a few aluminum based fillers a few have used/recommended but their brand escapes me.

Ez's recommended Gluvit or Coat-It are widely used rivet & seam leak prevention.

Re-buck or replace damaged/missing rivets prior to Gluvit.

Welcome to the iboats dry dock, tin division.

Lots of great tin boat work in the Starcraft owner's forum, so scan thru some of the resto's:
Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations, they're all here!

Last edited: