Best bottom paint - old wooden runabout

59seaskiff

Cadet
I am looking for the best choice for bottom painting my old Lyman runabout which is trailered a lot. I want an anti-fouling paint that looks good, adheres well, lasts and is not easily abraded away on the trailer bunks. I am assuming that this rules out soft ablative paints that need a coat every year.

Anyone have suggestions?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best bottom paint - old wooden runabout

You should post this in the boat repair section of this forum.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well considering your location and the fact that the boat is a trailer boat...... ANY paint will work. Rustoleum enamel will work fine. You do not need anti fouling if it is trailered and running in fresh water. If it was docked all the time and left in the water things might be a bit different.

59seaskiff

Cadet

Gentlemen,
Thank you! I must confess that the last advice I expected to get was to use Rustoleum! Go figure!
Thanks again.....
Oh, and sorry to have used the wrong place to post this request. Still growing accustomed to how things are organized here.

59seaskiff

Cadet

I will add this point, however before a final decision... There is a chance I will change my mind and want to place it in the weater for the season. Can I then cover the Rustoleum with an anti-fouling paint? I am thinking of a hard paint normally used on sailing vessels rather than the softer ablative types. What then?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Probably not over the Rusto. Don't most bottom paints have fairly specific prep & primer requirements? Those steps are likely to be EXPECTING gelcoat as a base, not some other kind of paint.