1977 21' Glasply project

wagigkpn

Cadet
Well being my first post I hope this is received well! I live in Washington near Gig Harbor. This last Saturday I bought a 1977 21' glasply from a local auction house. I got it for $2,300 bucks. Yes i bought a boat from an auction...Usually this is not a great idea but in this case the owner had passed away and his estate put it up for auction. I really felt they did not know what they had as well as the rest of the buying public. I think i got a steal! I checked it out head to toe prior to bidding. All the right signs were there! It was dirty from sitting, presumably covered, but otherwise a clean boat. I know this is a wood stringer boat but the floor was exceptionally sound along with the transom. The outdrive had a repower 2003 sticker on it and looked hardly used. There also is a nice long shaft 9.9 suzuki kicker, electric start, oil injection 2 stroke on the back! It also has a custom canvas enclosure over the back of the boat!

I have always been a fan of Glasply and have wanted to own one! Unfortunately this project may be temporary. My initial plan is to fix it up and sell it for a profit. This is how i got approval from the wife. Who knows...She might fall in love with it too!

Well i already started a thread on Glasply.net but after reading @jasoutside thread of his 1976 starcraft build http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...976-22-starcraft-islander-rebuild-369247.html I figured i would try to do something similar here. (post wise, not build wise!)

My goal is to fix things logically, correctly but on a budget. It is important to me that if/when i sell this boat i give full disclosure to the next owner. Things that i dont fix 100% I will fix in a way that wont damage the boat and can be fixed %100 by the next owner if they so choose. Anything i do to this boat will be something that i would do if i was going to keep it. I will try to limit myself in how involved i get though, so no outlandish projects or modifications. Sorry...

The first few posts will be copy/past so take your time getting up to speed! Enjoy!

-->Timing on buying a boat is not the best due to expecting our first child in a little over a month! Thus the primary plan for this boat is to sell it to pay for baby's birth! It's for a good cause i figure but it kind of makes me sad...this is a solid well taken care of boat.

Day of the auction my dad came and helped tow it to my place. Trailer is smooth and had no issues. I do need a power cord for the electric winch though. Anyone know where to look?

wagigkpn

Cadet
Re: 1977 21' Glasply project

I checked this boat out as well as i could prior to bidding. Stearing is smooth and throttle/shift points are smooth and easy at the controls. It also came with this wonderful kicker! Also a nice cooler. I cannot pronounce the name of this boat. Any Norwegian's on the boards want to help?

wagigkpn

Cadet

Here are some more pictures for your viewing pleasure...Note: my nephew loves this boat...

wagigkpn

Cadet

And lets not forget the engine...My phone took this length wise instead of width so i dont think the quality is going to be up to par...

Now the issues i need to address...Interior-wise there are a few places where the floor is curling up...What is the best way to fix this?

The bottom of the hardtop is pealing and sagging, same question, best way to re-secure this to the hardtop?

I didnt get a good picture of the canvas enclosure before i took it down but what is the best way to clean/condition canvas? It is kind of weathered.

I also need to replace some snaps, where should i order those from?

Exterior wise all i need to do is give it a good clean and touch up the bottom paint? It looks like the paint was put down on the bottom and other places for looks and not out of necessity. I dont know if it is worth me touching up. Thoughts? I will get a pic soon so you can see what i am talking about. Its basically flaking off in places and has transferred to some of the rollers.

This pretty much concludes my day Saturday as the rest of the day was spent preparing the house for our baby shower on Sunday.

Ongoing Wife Approval rating: 3/10 :( Going to work on getting this up over the next few days...

Last edited:

wagigkpn

Cadet

SUNDAY, BABY SHOWER DAY, was going to be tough to get time with besty the boat today. For some reason my wife did not want me to be working on the boat during the baby shower, she did not even want me present! So what do i do? I make a looong shopping list for the boat and go shopping. Unfortunately the Kitsap Marine was closed so I only made it to Wal Mart and Napa...Got oil, filter, (~$25), Plugs ($25), new jack for the trailer ($50), trailer hitch ($21) for the Navigator to tow the boat and a new keyed ignition ($11) (boat did not come with a key). Also 1 Marine battery ($64) and some carb spray ($3).

Figured i still had to kill some time so my buddy invited me over to clean the Navigator to get the wife back on my team...Results pending...

After cleaning up and getting everything done around the house post baby shower i was allowed to visit the boat. My plan of attack was to drain the gas, change the oil and change the plugs. (didnt have cap rotor, points, etc at napa). But i realized i forgot to pick up an articulating extension for my ratchet so new plugs will have to wait...

Luckily the Previous Owner has already attached a gas line which fed out the drain through the transom so draining the gas and oil was a breeze. Turns out there was only a half a quart of oil in the engine so it was drained before it sat. There was 40 gallons of fuel though. Now i have a garbage can full of bad gas to dispose of. TIPS?

New oil went in. Only needed 4 quarts! Put two gallons E0 gas in the tank, installed the battery (had a second battery already in it), installed the new keyed ignition. turned on the blower, turned key and it turned over effortlessly (i should mention i hand cranked the engine earlier). I had low hopes but it coughed. Tried again. Coughed. This went on and on with myself manipulating the throttle. Eventually it caught and the engine reved! Black smoke came out the exhaust and the engine died...A few more tries and it started! No knocks or weird noises and after holding the engine at 1500rpm it even idled perfectly! I gave a loud WOOOOP! then hooked water up to the intake. I ran the engine for about 20 min. Good oil pressure, perfect idle and good water temp! No leaks that i can see! It shifts into gear easily both forward and reverse. This concluded my day Sunday.

Next up is get the kicker running and start deep cleaning the boat.

Wife Approval rating: 4.5/10 (.5 due to the washed Navigator!)

wagigkpn

Cadet

Also. Fuel level gage does not work. Can't even see the pointer. also relating to fuel, there is a switch for yep different fuel tanks labeled port or main. Any idea where the two tanks are located? There are two inspection hatches, one near the engine and one in the middle of the boat. Both open to show fuel tank hook ups. I guess the things throwing me for a curve is the labeling of port and main... Makes me believe the tanks are arranged asymmetrically but that does not make sense...

Monday:
I stopped in at Kitsap Marina. John helped me at the parts counter, what a great guy! Spent $60 on fuel connector, gas line for the Suzuki kicker, 2 stroke oil, lower unit oil, keyed ignition (the Napa one is temporary, doesnt fit and is not marine qualified) and a drain plug. They also have the EZ steer connecting rod and kicker connection for about $130. I will have to head in there later this week to pick it up. Not sure if since i am probably selling this boat if i should invest in that or not. thoughts?

Looks like I will have to custom wire the electric winch on the trailer...Harbor Freight has a marine electric winch for $100 if the one i have is shot. Hope it does not come to that!

Harbor freight also had a rubber floor mat for $8 that i might buy and cut up to make battery box/mats out of...I was on my motorcycle and didn't have room to buy it today...

wagigkpn

Cadet

So Update on yesterday (Monday). I had a good friend and his wife over so wasn't able to work a whole lot on the boat. I had set it out that i was going to get the kicker started but was not sure what to expect. It looks in perfect condition but who knows right? I checked the oil and it was full and looked clean (injector oil). I put a couple gallons of gas in the can, filled up a garbage can full of water, hooked up the battery, primed the fuel line and hoped the electric starter works still...I lowered the motor into the water but LOL, it was still too high and didn't reach into the can. Guess i wont be giving it a long run time...Anyway i Pushed the electric start button and what do ya know...It turned over effortlessly and fired right up! It idled right away and throttle was crisp and responsive! I couldn't believe it!

At this point i can start to put tools away and just focus on cleaning the boat. I am planning a crabbing trip/test run next week after work. Thinking about Olalla or Manchester. Have not decided yet. I also found a ground that i didn't connect before. I am hoping that will fix the Fuel Gage but with only 2 gallons of fuel i doubt it would register. I also need ideas on the steering wheel. It is so close to the seat that i cannot get my leg past it! It seems to stick out a long ways, more than it really needs to...I am going to try and take it apart and see how i can modify it...

Plan for today after work is to get the shop vac in the boat and start cleaning after replacing the spark plugs. Then detail the inside and outside. I will also have my neighbor who is a merc mechanic listen to the engine run. There is a cyclical sound/vibration that changes with RPM that i am worried about. It might need an alignment. Also have him check the bellows to make sure they look up to par in his eye.

I also might check the gear oil in both motors today...Oh and lastly check into the winch more closely. I am really leaning toward buying the $100 harbor freight one just so i know it will work and not leave me stranded. The winch that is on there does not have a manual handle so if it craps out on the launch i would be stuck...

Wife Approval rating 5.5/10: My buddy really opened her eyes to the value of this boat. I think i may get to keep it! Primary plan though is still to sell :( but there is hope. I have no doubt who ever gets this boat is going to be very happy! In the event i get to keep it I am working on securing covered storage...Although this is a great, solid boat, leaving it outside for the winter could do a number on it!

Going to try and get video of her running and take some more pictures today.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Pretty sweet project. I believe those old Glasply were very well built. The Ford motor isn't ideal it's better than an old OMC or something. Clearly more than $2300 worth of stuff there. Hopefully you can get it seaworthy and take your wife on a nice cruise and maybe be allowed to keep it. I've been down the new baby and a boat route and am afraid you are pretty well doomed.

wagigkpn

Cadet

Pretty sweet project. I believe those old Glasply were very well built. The Ford motor isn't ideal it's better than an old OMC or something. Clearly more than $2300 worth of stuff there. Hopefully you can get it seaworthy and take your wife on a nice cruise and maybe be allowed to keep it. I've been down the new baby and a boat route and am afraid you are pretty well doomed.

Yeah, I have a feeling you may be right. If i keep it i really think it would get its most use in 3-5 years when the little guy is old enough to enjoy it...

wagigkpn

Cadet

Update:
I found the id numbers for the winch so finding a power cord just got a bit easier! I will be looking for battery boxes at Walmart hopefully today at lunch. I will also get some Contact cement to glue down the curling edges of some of the interior flooring.

Yesterday I put my list to cleaning the whole boat and changing plugs. I was partially successful. My very pregnant wife decided to help clean the interior with me! She really liked how it cleaned up and made the comment that the boat is growing on her...At the same time i kind of was getting discouraged. I am a big guy, 6'7'' and 300lbs. I barely fit in the V berth, not a huge deal i guess. future kids would love to crawl around up in there!

The seats and table do not fold down into a bed. It looks like it originally did but not any more. It should be an easy fix, just cut some 2x6's to fit and it would work. The seats are also pretty wide. This makes walking forward and back kind of tight. Maybe it wont be a big deal and was just noticeable because we were cleaning and moving about a lot, something that wont happen much when on the water...

Lastly, the captains chair, while comfortable is so big that my head is up too high and it is kind of a tight fit. It also does not fold up which annoys me. I might just be able to move it back a little bit. I will look into this...

Ideally i would like a thinner plastic chair that folds, rotates and flips up...Might start looking on Craigslist. BTW the side of the captains chair is ripped. This is the most major rip in the whole interior. I have found a couple small defects here and there but they are very minor.

Oh and more engine fun...I replaced the plugs. I found it odd the new plugs were about 1/16th inch taller than the old ones. Well I brought one of the replaced plugs into napa today and Yup. They gave me the wrong plugs. I also ripped a couple wires so might as well just replace the wires, cap, rotor, points,plugs all at the same time. I have to bring in the cap and rotor to match so tomorrow I hope to get it buttoned up. Then I head on vacation for the weekend. Plan still stands on heading out next week!

Wife Approval Rating 6/10: might be 7 but staying conservative...

crovowen

Seaman Apprentice

Lykkelig Sj?trollits- a little rusty, but I think it means , literally, 'The Happy troll' but some dialects could mean 'Happy fish' - hope that gets ya started-

tagging along- Crow

wagigkpn

Cadet

Lykkelig Sj?trollits- a little rusty, but I think it means , literally, 'The Happy troll' but some dialects could mean 'Happy fish' - hope that gets ya started-

tagging along- Crow

Very cool. The Happy Troll made me laugh! How do you pronounce the sj0 part?

Another Update and it is a good news/bad news one...

Got the wires and plugs changed out. The cap and rotor was not in the local napa and has to be shipped in so i held off for now and just hit the old cap and rotor with a bit of 220 grit. Engine fired up and ran just like it did before! i find that it takes a while to start if it has been sitting. I think it has to do with the fuel priming the fuel line. It initially starts then dies. Then coughs a few times then will start and run like a champ. No big deal imo.

I had my neighbor come over and listen to the motor. Good news, he knows his stuff around these boats and motors! Bad news is the slight sound (and i mean slight) is most likely from the Gimbal bearing. He recommended hitting it with some Gimbal bearing grease but most likely it will need to be replaced in the future. There is no reason I cant run the boat the way it sits though. It wont do any damage.

Now the good news...A new Gimbal Bearing is $70 bucks plus 10 bucks for a gasket kit. My neighbor also is willing to provide the special tools and do the job for me for free as long as i help. Should take 2-4 hours depending on how easily the bearing comes out. That includes alignment of the out drive and examining the baffles. I will probably take the boat out next week and see how it goes.

Also, I found out my trailer has bearing buddies...pretty neat...

Spent $15 at harbor freight for a grease gun, $20 at lighthouse marine in Gig Harbor for wheel bearing grease and Gimbal Bearing Grease. Now i need to buy a smaller grease gun for the gimbal Bearing Grease cause it is a 3 oz bottle... I will swing my Walmart and get one along with some contact cement to fix the interior. Heading to seaside this evening so wont be updating progress for the next few days.

I did take a video of the motor cold starting and running. I don't have editing skills and have not taken the time to watch it...might delete it if its too embarrassing.

Wife approval rating steady at 6/10. She doesn't know i keep spending money on necessary things yet...part of that whole ask for forgiveness is better than permission thing...

wagigkpn

Cadet

Hey, i forgot about this. I ended up getting it running. new gimbal bearing, impeller, and fuel filter. It ran great but i must not have drained the gas completely because i ran into a fueling issue. I sold the boat for what i was into it but got to keep the kicker motor. The new owner keeps in touch and the boat is running flawlessly!

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sold it!!! Yeah, that happens. My needs for boating has changed. When the kids were at home it was a ski, wake board boat. Now, its a crabbing mostly boat. My boat is the anniversary SeaSwirl boat. Fancy seats, carpet, fresh water cooler.. and though I baby it.. its not really a sea going boat. That's why I'm looking at the 20 ft Glasplay I posted up there.

Thanks for the update.