1977 Ranger 1600-1 Restoration - 1st boat project

nate2781

Cadet
I picked up a '77 Ranger 1600-1 with a 50hp Johnson on the back. The foam in the lower deck is saturated so needs to come out. Foam on the front casting platform is still dry and solid as a rock. It is my first boat project, looking forward to the challenges and the final product.

I plan to use 1/2" marine plywood, after the demo to rebuild the deck, I heard that an epoxy paint is enough to seal the wood, but reading on the forums it looks like a resin sealant is the way to go. I am new to this and wouldn't mind some more direction on this one.

Once the deck is in, a hole saw and some 2 part pour in urethane foam that I found from a local dealer for $77. Save some money on shipping there.

Carpet then maybe some fall fishing....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Ranger 1600-1 Restoration - 1st boat project

Welcome to iBoats!

What have you done to ensure the foam up front is Dry? Did your core sample it by drilling down to the hull with a piece of PVC pipe? Once the wet foam is out you will need to core sample the stringers to make sure they're not wet and rotting. Have you tested the Transom to ensure it's not flexing? What Weight is the foam from the Local Dealer. All foam is not the same. Post up some pics so we can see what you're working on. Best way is to open a free Photobucket account, upload your pics, then use the IMG code to copy and paste the pic directly into you iBoats thread.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

nate2781

Cadet

The previous owner cut out a compartment for a battery, the foam in that looks dry on the surface but I will take some core samples, to make sure, great idea!

It is coast guard approved 2# marine foam from Express Composites, comparable to the stuff on US composites. I was rolling around a few different ideas, block foam insulation, pool noodles from the dollar store, but decided to go with this stuff so the deck will have the added support. The boat restoration budget is pretty tight, but I think the foam is worth the extra money.

I haven't done anything special to check the transom other then visual inspection and a few nice hard shakes, it seems solid.

Photobucket progress soon to come, the old deck/foam is still on it, hopefully it will be off this weekend.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Tilt the motor up and stand on the lower leg and bounce. If the transom flexes...even a little bit, that's not a good sign. The foam sounds Great!!! Pics will be Good!!!!!